• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Guy

Hello All,

My medical history is kind of long and expansive and would take to long to explain the evolution but many of my problems are steroid and probably ibuprofin related from my time in the military. I know steroids are used for many people with success but the military had me on them for 3 years to heal injuries and recover from surgeries and to aid physical therapy. And looking back it certainly helped me with my bowel problems but also caused osteoporosis which led to a broken back and countless broken fingers and toes.

I have no clear diagnosis to which IBD I have. One doctor called it crohns and the other ulcerative colitis. But right before they called it crohn's I was told the biopsies didn't provide a definitive diagnosis either way by a med student. This is from a Veteran's Hospital so it's like beating your head against the wall. I have ankylosing spondylitis, MHE, reactive arthritis, osteoporosis, reflux, and other ailments. Luckily many of the meds and injections I take help the other diseases as well but I'm still having major issues with flareups with IBD at least a few times a month.

I'm having a major flare up now so I'm going to attempt the liquid diet starting tomorrow. I, unlike many who suffer with this disease, can stand to loose 30 pounds because I am a homebrewer and love beer so I'm simply going to drink Ensure for two weeks and then blend in a banana and yogurt etc for the next four and then introduce things back. I'll miss my beer. :cheerss:

I refuse to take steroids for anything unless my life is on the line. After joining tonight I found out I've been eating things that commonly cause problems so I'm hoping by doing a liquid diet for 6 weeks and then introducing foods I will find out what besides fatty foods and chicken cause me problems. Yes I know it's weird but chicken kills my gut.

Anyway this is very long and I have to run kids to school in 4 hours so I'm off to bed.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Rocky and welcome! I am sorry you are struggling so much right now with your IBD and other issues. Three years on steroids is not good at all and is most likely responsible for your osteoporosis. So, I can see why you don't want to take them again. But have you started any other medication to address the inflammation in your colon? I assume that most of your issues must be at the end of your colon being that your doctors aren't sure if it is CD or UC. If so, have you discussed cortisone enemas with your doctors? These do not have the side effects that oral steroids do. The enemas treat the inflammation topically, and less than 10% is absorbed into the body.

Good luck with your liquid diet, and I hope you feel better soon!

Hi Rocky and welcome to the forum!

You're not alone with the lack of a definite diagnosis---my GI has always dithered between Crohn's and colitis. All your extra-intestinal issues (arthritis, etc.) suggests that you have Crohn's, but I have issues that are only seen in people with Crohn's, but my GI still won't say for sure that it's Crohn's. It's all quite confusing and at times, frustrating!

Oh, to be on a liquid diet that doesn't include beer! That sucks! I had to give up beer---yeast would really bother me---bloated and sore. It seems that you might have checked out the Diet section of the forum. Liquid diet definitely can help calm things down, and then you might want to look at 'upgrading' to the low residue/BRAT diet after you finish with liquids.

It's not so weird about chicken---when I'm in a flare, I can't tolerate chicken either. I've never understood it myself, but I can tolerate more red meats than chicken. It makes no sense to me!

Good luck with your liquid diet---feel free to post specific questions on other parts of the forum. The folks here are really knowledgeable and always pop up to share their experiences.

See you around the forum,

Kismet

The doctors have not told me much about my condition because my doctor that was diagnosing me left the Veterans Hospital and I got some random new doc on my last visit. So some things seem to have been lost in the shuffle. I did have good control with the med she subscribed but I am having lot's of flare ups so I'm trying the liquid diet. If you have never experienced the Veteran's Hospital it's almost better to try to help yourself before bringing them into the picture.

I've never heard of the cortisone enemas but I'll have to check that out. I haven't heard of the low residue/BRAT diet either so I'll have to look at that. Right now I'm on several meds.

Balsalazide Disodium - 750 MG 3 capsules 3 times a day - for bowel issues
Humira Injection once every two weeks - for Anklosing Spondylitis but is suppose to help the bowel issues also.
Omeprazole - 20 MG - one capsule twice a day for reflux
Sulindac - 200 MG - one tablet twice a day for the arthritis and Anklosing Spondylitis
Propranolol - 60 MG once a daily for migraines and high blood pressure.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I don't know what to ask as I am just now researching all of this on my own. I have found out that I had been eating a lot of things that seem to cause problems for us so by starting over and introducing things in my diet I'm hoping to find out what's causing some of the flareups.

Ian

Hi and welcome!

I too have indeterminate IBD - my old doctor is convinced it's Crohns colitis (CD limited to the colon), and there are some solid reasons for his thinking, but he is also ignoring a recent scope done at a different hospital that said it was most consistent with UC, plus the fact that I have no extra-intestinal symptoms. So who the hell knows?

I'm glad the Humira is working on a number of your issues at once. Have you discussed the possibility of going up to weekly injections? That might prevent you having flares so frequently?
As for diet, we're all different. Personally I haven't found ONE food that I have any obvious issues with. If you notice a connection between certain foods and certain symptoms, by all means cut them out, but don't feel like you have to limit yourself based on the theory that it's bad for Crohns in general. I can eat popcorn no problem. Other people would end up in the hospital! But if you think food could be a culprit for you than an elimination diet sounds like a good idea. Good luck with it :).