• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Disease and Fungal Infections

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum. Living in England and have been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease for about three years now. About six months ago I began getting various fungal infections. First my toes, then my scalp, then my chest, then back to my toes, then my eyes. I'm turning into a mushroom! Does anyone here get recurring fungal infections? Thank you for this great looking site and any help.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I don't have any issues with fungal infections. What medication are you taking? Could it be a possible side effect? What insight has your doctor provided? I sure hope this issue will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

Hi MisfiringGut! Welcome to the forum.

I've actually had something going on with my toes recently... The inside of both my big toes, right beside the nail, has been getting ridiculously swollen and painful. I have no idea. I've thought it was fungal, but there's never been anything other than redness and swelling. I'm too chicken to have the doctor examine them, because they hurt so much :S

Anyways, welcome. :) Hope you find some insight.

The first indication of having an illness when I was younger was when I developed imetigo which is a highly infectious bacterial infection and earlier this year about 1 month before I started getting a flare up I developed a horrible rash on the back of my neck and the doc said it was seborrheic dermatitis. I have no idea if this is related to crohn's but it's a bit of a coincidence that they both occured before I get a flare up.
The doctor gave me an antu-fungal shampoo and hydrocortisone steroid cream

also, if you've been on steroids or immune suppresents they can lead to more fungal infections due to reduced immunity.

Eating a lot of cheese/bread/mushrooms can also lead to fungal infections too, or so I've heard.

hope everything gets sorted for you
xxxxxx

I've never had it on my toes or scalp but i do get red swollen lumps under my skin when im flarring .. They are so painful i get them on my calves and upper thighs and i've even ha them on my wrists .. Then when they go away they look like scares .. I would have them checked.. Not a big fan of the dr's office either but im in a flare right now and just trying to destress and not have to be put on meds .. Good luck

I've never had it on my toes or scalp but i do get red swollen lumps under my skin when im flarring .. They are so painful i get them on my calves and upper thighs and i've even ha them on my wrists .. Then when they go away they look like scares .. I would have them checked.. Not a big fan of the dr's office either but im in a flare right now and just trying to destress and not have to be put on meds .. Good luck
That sounds like erythema nodosum. It's caused by inflammation in the body. I get those, too.

Hi and welcome! I don't have any issues with fungal infections. What medication are you taking? Could it be a possible side effect? What insight has your doctor provided? I sure hope this issue will disappear as quickly as it appeared.
I am on Pentasa. I haven't shown them to my doctor, I don't have insurance so I try to go as little as I can. I guess it's time for me to go :(

Thank you all for the help and support. You are all wonderful.

Hi,

I recently have had a fungal infection on my right toe. Been keeping a wee eye on it and does not seem to have spread or got worse.

In an effort to try and increase my fitness levels, I started attending the local swimming pool and put it down to that rather than crohns.

The only other issue I have is psorisas around my right knee and right elbow. This has also settled down recently, so I think this must kick-off when I'm flaring, but have been regularly rubbing e-45 on it.

I developed quite a large rash on my chest and back, it did turn out to be some kind of fungus. Been using hydrachortizone (forgive my spelling) and anti-fungal creme which seems to be taking things in the right direction, not totally cleared up though. Not sure if it is related to my Crohns but thought I'd reply to your post because maybe it is more than a cooindicence. Were you able to clear yours up completely?