• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Sister's Keeper

It all started in September of 2010. My sister Amy woke up in the middle of the night complaining of severe abdominal pain and my mother rushed her to our local ER at Howard Memorial Hospital. At first they thought it was Appendicitis but tests revealed that it was not appendicitis but there was blood in her stool so our family doctor asked her to come see him for more tests because he was concerned. It was then that we discovered that she was badly anemic. He tried sending her to various gastroenterologists but none of them would take her. In december, she ended up being so anemic that she had to be admitted to the hospital and given two pints of blood. Finally in January of this year, she had her first appointment with Dr. Fusch, one of the Pediatric Gastroenterologists at Arkansas Children's Hospital. By this time, she was down to a frightening 68 pounds and looked so frail and skinny and was having frequent bloody diarrhea. When Dr. Fusch saw her, he immediately admitted her to Arkansas Children's Hospital and begun running tests. She was so sick that she had to have a PIC line inserted into he right arm and had to be fed intravenously. They finally did an Colonoscopy and an endoscopy and a biopsy of her colon. They told my mother and I, who had stayed in the hospital with her, that her upper GI tract was fine but her lower gi tract looked horrible. Then the biopsy results showed that she had Ulcerative Colitis and they immediately started her on treatment. Today, she is doing very well. She now weighs a healthy 85lbs and has been taken off of prednisone and zantac and her maintenance medication has been cut down to half the original dose, she also takes immune suppressants and will require a flu shot and she sees Dr. Fusch every two months at Arkansas Children's Hospital :)

It's lovely that you care so much about your sister, my older sister has always been so so supportive and loving when my Crohn's is concerned and I've really appreciated it. Glad to know she's well know and let's hope it stays that way :)

Vicky xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Amy and welcome! How long did it take until you finally found Dr. Fusch? It's a shame your sister couldn't find out what was going on and get treatment sooner. But, thank goodness you guys found Dr. Fusch in the end. I am so happy your sister is doing well now. I hope she continues to do so well!

Hi welcome :)

I am glad that your sister is doing better. I hope that she continues to stay happy and healthy.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome! I'm so glad that your sister is doing well and that she has an amazing older sibling such as yourself! And thank goodness she was able to get in to see what sounds like a wonderful doctor :)