• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not too excited to be here...

P

PhantomX

but it's certainly better than being here alone.

So I just turned 20 this August, and I was diagnosed with Chron's. I believe I displayed some of the symptoms for a short period when I was 16 (for about half a year I had extensive diarrhea and weight loss) before it went into remission on it's own. After that I was fine for three years until this past summer, when I started to have this pain in my right side, and couldn't eat... turns out I had developed a partial occlusion. For some reason they decided to open me up when I went to the ER but they didn't actually do anything :\

I recovered over the course of a week via prednisone IV and a Remicade infusion at the end (thankfully I don't have any reactions to it). I don't know how to classify my case, really. My doctor says it's severe since I "had" to go into surgery, but I literally have no symptoms whatsoever until I get a flare up, so I disagree.

Since I'm currently a full time student in college I am lucky enough to have my parents' insurance cover most of my medical expenses, but that'll only last until I'm 25 (or if my father gets laid off). I'm wondering if there are any insurances that will cover me and this "pre-existing" condition when I get a job, or if there's no hope in that regard. I mean, there's no way I can pay the entirety for bi-monthly Remicade infusions, let alone hospital visits, so I'd like to know if there's some chance I can remain in the U.S., or if I'd be better off moving back to Europe with some of my family, where medical care is free.

C

Christina

Hi I am Christina. And it sounds to me like you might be better off going to Europe, if it is free. I am going through the same thing you are and I can't find anyway to cover the bills. The Remicade you can get help with. I am on a Remicade assistance program and they pay for all of the Remicade. You just have to make a certain income. And you re-apply for the program every 6 months. It is a little bit of a hassle, but it beats you paying it. I can get the information for you if you would like.

Christina

Kev

Welcome PhantomX. Yeah, becoming a member of this forum is a mixed blessing sort of scenario. Dealing with the reality of this disease can be hard to handle, hope that you find this website helps you in that. As for insurance, I'm not from the US, so you may get more pertinent advice from some of our US members. However, in Canada, I have yet to find any added insurance coverage that provides for pre-existing illness. Canada provides free basic healthcare, but that does not cover the cost of drugs, or niceties like semi private rooms, or physio, etc., etc.. I've heard there are some in the US that will, after a predefined time. Its anecdotal, and I may be totally wrong. You'll need to do a little digging on your own to see what, if any, options are available to you in whatever state you reside.
As for moving to Europe, to someone who isn't looking at living long term with an as yet incurable, long term chronic illness, it may sound like a ridiculous idea. But, depending on the health coverage in the country you are considering, and what it takes to qualify for it, it just may be an option you are forced to consider. I say so for a personal reason.. In Canada, coverage is provided province by province, so a person who lives in one part of the country isn't directly covered in another. Its a complicated scenario... i.e. a hospital or doctor in one can transfer a patient to a hospital/doctor in another, and the coverage is usually automatic.. but if you do it solo, typically you cover the costs upfront, then your provincial plan reimburses you AFTER you file all of the paperwork, etc.. My point? I have a sister out west who was diagnosed with MS. As long as she remains in that area, she is covered. She would rather move back to this area to be closer to family, but she'd lose out on her coverage.. either have to assume the costs till her provincial plan kicked in, else work/live here long enough to qualify for local coverage. Talk about ludicrous!
Anyway, thanks to this sort of beauracracy, she's literally a prisoner of the system.
Just be careful that you make yourself aware of all of the ins N outs of any plan in the country you are considering, AND that you've examined all your local options. I have heard great things about many European hospitals and medical staff. My only concern about considering the above (given the above situation was clear cut, OK) would be the possible consequences of any language barriers, whatever. Thats it. I've seen plenty of reports where Europes medical systems are superior to US and Canada, and that many North Americans use their private coverage to short track many medical procedures by traveling to Europe, Asia, etc., for private treatment.

Anyway, thats enuff of this from this long winded old fart. Wish you all of the best.

PS I don't think they would have cut into you if they didn't think your situation was serious. You may feel fine, but that isn't necessarily indicative of your disease

P

PhantomX

Christina said:
Hi I am Christina. And it sounds to me like you might be better off going to Europe, if it is free. I am going through the same thing you are and I can't find anyway to cover the bills. The Remicade you can get help with. I am on a Remicade assistance program and they pay for all of the Remicade. You just have to make a certain income. And you re-apply for the program every 6 months. It is a little bit of a hassle, but it beats you paying it. I can get the information for you if you would like.

Christina
That would actually be great. That's what I'm most in need of at the moment, anyway, hopefully if I'm consistent with the Remicade i won't have any serious side effects that could lead to more costs.

K

kpratte

I've seen issues with insurance and pre-existing conditions but only for things like cancer. I've been diagnosed with crohn's since 95 and have changed jobs several times and crohns had never been an issue except for long term disability. When I had tried to get into our LTD plan, it required medical paperwork and I got rejected. They later had an open enrollment and I got in. ;)

I've been lucky to have jobs that always have health insurance and had always heard that Canada's was free, but now that I hear Kev's stories, free isn't quite free. Not sure what Europe is like for health care, but I wonder if it's similar to Canada's "free" plan.

- Ken

C

Christina

Phantom X,
Here is the information about the Remicade assistance program. The program is called Centocor Inc. The phone number to call is (866) 489-5957.
After calling them, they will send a application in the mail in a few days. You and your doctor will have to fill it out.
Your doctor has to say that you need to medication and when. You will also need proof of income. I used a w-2 form.
Good Luck,
Christina