• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My panproctocolectomy

I'm sitting here alone at work and about to leave so thought I'd make this now while I remember.

But the day has arrived already! My surgery is tomorrow. Eeeek. I've got to be there at 7.30am and I'm first down which I'm relieved about. No hanging around getting even more nervous!

I'm in good spirits but tired and have only been crying when people have been saying nice, supportive things to me! Then I feel a bit stupid. Work gave me this lovely card which was nice.

Going out for dinner with my family later. I can eat till midnight so thought I'd give my colon a decent send off. Have to be up at 5.30am to drink those carbohydrate drinks. Blah.

I shall keep you all updated. Thank SO so sooooo much to all of you that have been answering all my questions and have been very supportive towards me :)

I'll see you all on the other side!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Good luck with everything - have an awesome meal tonight!!.....

Don't you hate it when the supportive words bring tears...ugh...HATE that!.....

Hope all goes well tomorrow - check back in when you can to let us know how everything went!

Good luck tomorrow Michelle.

Look forward to seeing you posting about your recovery. Hoping thing go nice and smoothly for you.

See you on the other side! :hug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good luck Michelle. I hope all goes well hun...:goodluck:

Thinking of you...:hug:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

ameslouise

Big hugs, Michelle! You'll do great!! Get plenty of rest, but when you are up to it, we can't wait to hear all about it!

xo -Ames

Hey Michelle

Hope your dinner was fantastic and that everything goes easy-breezy for you!

Catch you on the other side,

Kismet

Last edited:

Nyx

Good luck tomorrow!! Take it easy when you get out and keep us updated when you can :)

Thinking of you Michelle,
I hope everything goes well.
sending you strength and courage,
Walt
:)

ps please share an update when you can...

Terriernut

I've just spoken to Michelle! She said the surgery went well, they didnt have to open her up, and all was done lapro. Thank goodness!

She had low blood pressure, so they kept her in recovery a little longer. But she's awake and alert now. Says the pain relief is working, and she's feeling ok all considered. Hopefully she will sleep well tonight, and make a speedy recovery!!!!

:rosette2::dance::Karl:
Get well soon Michelle!!!!
Huggggggggggggggggssssssssssssssss
Misty

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I can't believe I missed this yesterday!

I hope today went well, Michelle! I am praying you have a speedy recovery!

Terriernut

They had her up in the chair today. Pain, vomiting. I think pushing it! They always want our beds in the NHS! Sleeping loads, good!

Her stoma is already working....amazing!!! She's just amazing our Michelle!!!

I dont want them pushing her too far too fast though! This is an incredibly tough operation! Lapro or not....

Lets send healing thoughts and prayers to our Michelle as she goes through this difficult recovery.

Misty

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Sending loads of love, hugs, prayers and well wishes your way Michelle!...

:getwell::getwell::getwell:

We miss you! :hug:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

Thanks for your lovely texts guys. Doing better today. No vomiting and managed to go for a walk down the corridor which actually felt pretty good. I's just the drain in my bum which is still causing problems. Have a stoma bag attached to it but it's still leaking blood everywhere which isn't pretty. Also got some air or fluid trapped by my diaphragm which is causing some pain in my shoulder. Other than that, just tired which isn't a bad thing as I get to sleep a lot. Ate today and my stoma has been working well since day 1. Surprisingy not been too emotional yet. I guess all that mental prep helped!

Tomorrow I should get the catheter out. No talk of taking my morphine pump yet though. Also get to see the surgeon and the stoma nurse tomorrow. I'm keen to hear how it all went. I'm assuming well as my incisions are all so tiny!

Thanks again for all your supportive words. You guys are the best!

Terriernut

So very glad to hear from yourself!!!! Gas trapped is awful, but it will pass. Dont forget to belch! (its our opportunity!)

Keep on getting better!!!!
Huugggggggggggggggggggggggssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Misty

lol you forgot that I can't bletch, Misty! It's trapped actually inside me rather than in my stomach. Dr said he has no idea how long it'll last for.

I take my hat off to those who have open surgery though!

Terriernut

I didnt forget! I just thought your body would make an exception for you this time! (bodies just dont make exceptions do they...the bastards)

Walking helps get the gas out. Like THATS easy after surgery (hmmph)

Hi Michelle,

So pleased you are doing so well. Keep up the good work and remember to rest as much as possible. I didn't have any emotional outbursts lol, so maybe you won't. It is such a relief to get out of the position you were in.

Love, Kaz xxx

oooooo that trapped wind is awful!! I had open surgery 3 weeks ago had some bowel removed and a temp ileostomy!! Gosh I was in agony all in my back and shoulder I thought my body was guna explode no painkiller was cutting it!! I did eventually pass it somehow after about 3 days it helped to get out of bed and try to walk and move about!! Even though it was awful trying to do that because of the pain!! Hope your ok and you get rid of that wind soon Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Thanks guys. Saw the surgeon this morning and he said the op went really well and my colon was in a bad state. It was pretty heavy but he was please with the minimal incision scars.

I have a my drains and catheter out etc now but still not gone for a wee. Also my bum keep dripping blood everywhere when I stand up or sit on it. Do any of you know when the bleeding will stop? I dont want to go home till my bum is in a decent state!

Michelle! :) Well done on getting onto a computer to post this soon after surgery!

I had bleeding out of my bum wound for a few days. They kept the drain in it to get rid of it. Has your drain been taken out? Maybe it came out a little too soon. It's major surgery and things will take a while to get better.

Don't worry about not peeing, I had to go back in after a week to have it reinserted with problems trying to pee. There is a lot of things that have been disturbed and things will take time to sort themselves out.

So essentially don't worry too much. You are doing well to be up and at a computer already. Kick back, relax and your body will do it's job of healing and sorting itself out.

Take care.

Gav :)

Terriernut

Gav is right about everything taking awhile to sort itself out. I mean, everything's been shoved around just a wee bit!

They will be monitoring the pee thing. You can have them check your bladder to see if it's full. If its full and you're not peeing, they may have to redo the cath, or give you something. I will say it is NOT unusual to get a UTI from this op, or just about any op for that matter. Yes....joy.

I'm surprised they dont still have a drain in your rear. I think once upon a time Amy and CDad mentioned they bled for several days???
:hug:

Thanks Gav and misty. They've done a scan on my bladder to show that it's full and the docs thing that things might be bruised down there from my op. They want me to wait and hour to see if things improve before reinserting my catheter as they are worried about me getting a uti. Will try to go again soon. Hate not being able to go though!

Emptying my bag myself now which is fine and and walking pretty well by myself. Managed to walk the length of the ward twice by myself today. Still very tired so sleeping a lot. Not complaining about that though, it makes the days go quicker.

Terriernut

I think you are doing FANTABOULOUS!!!!!

I had trouble peeing on both ops. I ran water...I put my fingers in warm water....I walked.

Then...I ran out in the snow! Pee'd like a race horse after that. But I dont think you have snow handy. Sorry. Ice cubes??? On your feet.

Still I would ask them to treat for UTI. Its almost a given with an op like that.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Michelle

Congratulations---you made it!! And you're doing WAAAAY better than I was at this point.

I didn't pee either. They checked for UTI straight away, which came back clear, as well as a scan of my bladder. After that, they gave me IV diuretics and that got me peeing reasonably quick-smart. My surgeon had said that sometimes, a 'shy bladder' is more annoying to get past than trying to wake the bowels up. Go figure! I *did* think that my bladder was being a bit of a prima donna, needing attention and all that.

Take it easy with everything but the pain meds!

Hugs,

Kismet

ameslouise

Hey Michelle - Congrats on a successful surgery! Hope you have peed by now!

I also have had that referred pain in my shoulder from trapped air. Holy crap is it painful! It's so bizarre how it travels up to the shoulder! Hope it clears up soon for you.

Remember to rest, rest, rest. And don't let them send you home before you are ready! I hope too that the bum bleeding tapers off. Mine bled a little bit for a few weeks, but not as much as you are describing. I hope they can get that taken care of for you.

Sending a big hug to you! xo xo - Ames

Nyx

Great to hear from you Michelle and that things are going pretty well for you. I too hope you've peed by now! Keep up with the sleeping, that certainly won't hurt and once you get home you may not want to sleep as much (even though you should!).

Hugs to you...

Thank you everyone. Your messages make me feel loads better!

I ended up having the catheter being put back in at midnight. I felt like I was about the burst and there was no way I could go. They want to keep it in for a few more days which is fine with me. The dr this morning told me that because they'd played around with my lady parts in surgery, that it was very common for the area to be bruised so it's a common problem of not being able to pee.

Always feeling most rough in the morning but I perk up after seeing the stoma nurse and having my pain killers! My bum is just so sore so it's hard to get comfortable. I have some stitches in my vagina which is sore too. My stoma is looking good though! Very swollen still but a nice round shape with a nice spout.

I'm still smiling lots though. Just looking forward to wearing my own underwear again! Still living in a hospital gown!

Sounds like your bladder just needs a little more time. Mine shut up shop and the catheter had to go back in and I ended up with a UTI both times after both my big ops. Soon it will be in the past for you.

That bum pain will be sore sore sore for a while, it's had a lot to cope with. Finding a position to be comfortable isn't easy, I can remember that.

Keep up the smiling, you're doing really well. It's a major major change for your body and you're taking it on the right way! :)

Gav

Terriernut

Michelle, I think you are doing so great! I said to you catheters are godsends, and boy I bet it felt like it when you emptied! (almost as good as...?)

Gosh, mornings were the roughest for me too. I'll bet in 6 weeks you will be on top of the world, and this will be but a passing memory.

Meanwhile, keep smiling, and keep healing. Gently, gently.

:kiss::hug::kiss::hug::kiss::hug:

Had lots of lovely visitors in hospital today including my friend who works in the histology department. He said they've not processed my colon yet and I might be able to go and see it tomorrow lol. Bit weird.

Came over a bit funny when I went for my wash earlier. Luckily my mum was helping me but it's so hot in the bathrooms and I have to stand there. There is less blood coming from my bum now, it looks a bit more like fluid but it smells so bad! Changing the great big wad of pad between my legs is harder with a catheter in too. Ahh it's all so dignified lol. On the plus side my appetite is loads better. Shame about the lack of decent cuisine here!

Terriernut

Thanksgiving feast my house Sunday 20th of November Michelle! You'll be ready for some fattening up!

I am sorry to hear about the faintness! I had it a few times during my recovery in hospital (it was 32C in there in DECEMBER) and at home. Body telling you....ssssllllllooooowwww down, and possibly that it needs more fluids and food. Easier said than done. Specially with hospital food pppppppppffffffftttt!

Glad the bleeding has slowed down. As for the fluids and smelling bad...what does it smell like? Yeah...gross, but pay attention to smells and feeling.

I bets it's a real pain to change those pads darling. The loss of dignity is horrible as well. I find a sense of humour is the best medicine for it. Easier said than done. :rosette2:

Way cool if you get to see your colon! (dont eat first?)

I just need to make sure they don't send me home before I'm ready. I think me being so smiley and happy goes against me on that front. I shall probably mention to the stoma nurse and ask her what kind of a state they expect it to be on before I go home, hopefully she'll know. I know my old stoma nurse would know but she wont be back from nz for another 3 weeks! :(

It's hard to say what it smells like. A bit like a horrible clinical smell. I got mum to look at it earlier and she said it looks clean from what little she could see so maybe it's normal. I don't really care about my dignity anymore, it's everyone else that's bothered lol.

Terriernut

Tip.....if you dont want to go home...start screwing up changing and emptying your bag....works EVERY TIME!!!! :cool: The stoma nurses have the final say...yes, even over the consultants. You screw up changing and 'cant cope' they wont release you! Also, they cant release you with you draining that much from the back side. You are too much of a risk with that. They tried to kick me out too soon. The stoma nurse put a quick stop to that! Any fever, any weakness, too much pain, any signs of infection or chances...no, you wont go out. Let alone with a catheter. And dont let them make you feel guilty! There are plenty in there milking it....and YOU ARENT!

I was worried about smell for infection...keep whiffing. (gross, but a good indicator)

Well god news. The doc thinks that I'll be able to go home on Friday and I agree with her. The catheter isn't coming out till tomorrow, yey! and I feel a lot more stable today although I feel like the pain killers still make me feel a little woozy.

On the downside I went to try and change my pad by myself in the toilet. trying to juggle changing surgical panties with a catheter and crap dripping all over the floor was a little much and I ended up giving in and pulling the emergency cord. The nurse took ages to get to me by which time I was a bit of a state. I'm ok now though. Just learnt that white slippers and a dripping bum do not go well together and not to try to change it by myself again! Then the nurses almost accidentally took my phone away with my bedding. Luckily I noticed it was gone before it was too late!

Misty-Eyed,

I am happy to read that all is well for you! Surgery is tough, remember to take it easy. I hope the bleeding stops soon for you. Also, are there restrictions to what you can eat? Maybe a friend, or family member could bring you something delicious!?

Best of luck with your recovery.:rosette2::rosette2:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Michelle! I am glad you will be able to go home on Friday. It sounds like you are doing well, though it hasn't been easy. I hope things continue to improve each day.

Please continue to keep us up to date on your progress. Wishing you all the best!

Terriernut

Yeah Friday!!! Digits all crossed for that...if YOU are ready!

Sorry about the debacle with changing the pad, you want to be an octopus to work that out sounds like!

Got some pressies for you when you are ready!! :hug:

ameslouise

OMG! Are you going to go see your colon?????? I would have loved to have seen mine when they took that sucker out!!!

Remember to take it easy and get plenty of rest!!!

Guys!!! I'm home!!!!!!!

They took my catheter out at 7am, the doc came at 8am and said if I managed to urinate then I could go home but she did ask to make sure I felt ready. I was like a whole new person without that catheter though and by 10:30am I was busting to go so legged it to the loo. It was the best wee EVER.

My stoma nurse then saw me to make sure I could change the bag without her around and my stoma decided to puke all over me! Luckily it didn't hinder with my confidence. The stoma nurse said I've been a pro at it and was impressed with how quickly I learnt. So glad I put in all my prep time!

I'm actually loving my stoma though. I was worried I was going to be freaked out by it but I actually find it kind of endearing. I LOVE not having to go to the toilet or worry about it. YEYYY!!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am so happy to hear you are home and doing so well.

I hope things continue to get better and better for you, Michelle!

Nyx

The burning question now is....did you get to see your colon?? lol

Glad you're home and doing so well! :)

Terriernut

Yes Cindy, good question! Michelle....did you get to see your naughty colon? If so...did it give you the willies??

I'm actually loving my stoma though. I was worried I was going to be freaked out by it but I actually find it kind of endearing. I LOVE not having to go to the toilet or worry about it. YEYYY!!!
That's great to hear. It's what it's all about! :) :)

Great that you got home so quickly. There's lots to get used to and learn, but I have a feeling you'll take it all in your stride. We're all here to help if need be.

Gav :hug:

No I didnt get to see it :( The next day I as unable to go down as I still had my catheter and my bum juices would run down my leg whenever I'd get up. (attractive, I know). Then the next day I had a friend who is over from the states come to see me which was nice.

Being home is challenging. Having to get up to pee is the most annoying thing ever. My bum is hurting less but I keep getting a pain in my side most of the time which only eases with my painkillers. Think the painkillers are causing me to have cold sweets too which is lovely. Need to muster some energy to go and have a shower this afternoon and wash my hair. Hope I can stand up for long enough!

But still it's a week since my op now which is weird. Times flies when you're having fun!

Hope all of you are well. Thanks again for all your support. It's a great comfort!

Terriernut

Hope you were able to stand up for the shower Michelle. It was really difficult for me the first 2 to 3 weeks to cope at home, and I needed some help.

I wonder if the pain in your side is also trapped gas from the op? Do you have a follow up appointment booked at your GP's soon?

When is your first Stoma Nurse visit? How about visiting home nurses, are you set up for that yet?

Can I come and assist you in any way?
:kiss:

I keep feeling like because I had it laproscopically, I should be doing better. I still have no idea how some of you guys did this op with a massive wound!

Debbie the stoma nurse called me this morning, misty and she's comin to see me Wednesday. I don't have anyone else from the medical profession coming to see me. Going to see the surgeons again in 4 weeks though for my follow up.

Managed to stand for a shower and it was nice. The water didn't hurt my bum and it was refreshing. Couldn't deal with washing my hair though so that'll just have to stay manky for a few more days. Admittedly my mum did help me though! Then I came downstairs and sat for a few minutes before going into the bathroom to change my bag. Did it sitting on the toilet seat but while I was washing my stoma I came over really faint and sick. It was awful. It wouldn't go away either so mum had to do most of the rest of the changing with my guidance. Thank goodness she was there or i don't know what I would of done! Maybe I over did it a little :/

Terriernut

Debbie is brilliant. You are thinking wrong if you think you should be doing better! Baby steps. You have had a massive OP. Even if was lapro, all your insides have been jerked around.

Many hours of sedation takes WEEKS of recovery as well. Take it slow and easy on yourself. And keep taking your tempature as well. Several times a day. Also....drink, drink, drink. Dehydration will make you faint and sick in a big hurry. Remember, you arent processing liquids in your colon. Liquids go right through, so you have to really compensate for fluid intake.

Rest up love. Dont forget I'm just down the road. When would you like a another visiting yank?

Ok well that's good! I know, I guess I have high expectations of myself. Think the pain may be my organs settling with all the new room. Apparently my colon weighed 3-4 kg !

Felling better now. Just dislike being so dependant on my parents. My dad doesn't deal with this kind of thing well either which hasn't helped. He did go to the gp today to sort out certificates etc for me which was nice. Oh and my stoma stuff has been delivered already!!

Terriernut

Dont feel bad about being dependent for just this little while. Easier said than done...I KNOW...I'm miss independent! But, really 4 weeks post op you will feel soooooooooo much better....3 months post op....incredible!

But ONLY if you let your body do the talking early on. My brain was WAY too far ahead of my body and it was incredibly frustrating! I paid the price, the parastomal hernia, etc., etc.

Just love yourself enough, and respect your body enough, to give it time.

Huuuuuggggggggggggggssssssssssssssssssssss
Misty

Yes that is true. I just think I'm not walking around enough or whatever.

Forgot to say though, come over anytime you like! My parents won't mind at all and I think they'd like to meet you anyway from me talking about you all the time. Chris may be looking after me mon evening-Wednesday but any time other than that is great :)

Terriernut

Cool! I'll see you on Thursday! (by which time you will be feeling almost human again!)

If you need ANYTHING...just ring.

So glad to hear you're home! I'm sorry somehow I've missed your thread until now. Get some rest and don't be hard on yourself. Your brain and your body just aren't in the same place right now. Surgery is a major event for your body and it's going to take some time to get figured out. And you have a LOT to heal. Even if you don't have a major incision on the surface of your skin, you had a lot of work done underneath.

I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well. Keep it up. Take care of yourself. Rest, rest, rest. You'll be in my thoughts.

And I'm sure there isn't, but if there's anything I can do for you don't hesitate to ask.

ameslouise

Hi Michelle and welcome home! Hope you're feeling a little better each and every day!

I remember that feeling of my insides squishing around after my colon was removed. Everything needs to find a new home in there!

I found that taking a sitz bath every day really helped with the arse pain. Check with your stoma nurse to make sure it's okay first.

Keep resting! - Amy

Thanks guys. Don't worry about not seeing it before Nic! You re very right though. Just keep thinking I'm resting too much and it's hampering my recovery.

The funniest thing just happened to me though. I am laying on the sofa and was resting my eyes and drifting off. Then all of a sudden my stoma farted and the vibration of it made me just out of my skin lol.

My best friend came over today too and washed my hair with dry shampoo for me, which was nice of her. Also got some flowers sent to me which was completely unexpected.

Also changed the times of taking my painkillers so I have more relief at night and putting a pillow between my legs when laying on my side helps the pain loads!!

Ames, I shall ask, a bath would be nice. Thy kept telling me to wash it with the shower head in the shower. It's still leaking loads though. Hope I manage to get some more giant sized pads before my supply from the hospital runs out! Also my bum is so tingly when I accidentally touch it! So weird. The pain there is a lot less than it was which is good :)

Happy to hear all is well Misty-Eyed! You should totally take Terriernut up on her offer to help out. IMO, you are fortunate to have friends who love you enough to be there for you now. :)

Also, have you thought about a shower chair? I don't know if you would benefit from one, I just don't want to hear about you taking a fall in the shower. NOT FUN!

Don't forget to PPPPFFFFFTTTT take it easy!

:hug:

Nyx

I used one of those shower chairs when I got home....it was a godsend. I found standing pretty unsteady for a while too.

ameslouise

I forgot about sleeping with a pillow between my legs - I did that for about a month after my surgery and it really was so much more comfortable.

After your butt is all healed - don't be surprised if you get phantom pains. Like someone who has their leg amputated but still feels an itch on his toes. I had them for about 4 or 5 months and it was really weird!! But someone warned me about it so I wasn't surprised. Now I'm warning you so you won't be surprised either!!!

- Ames

Hi Michelle,
I'm really glad to hear you are out of surgery! Enjoy the resting before life gets hectic again! I didn't have a bag, but still they removed a lot during my surgery, and i'm remembering that feeling of stuff shifting around inside when you're moving around in bed post-op. that was a funny feeling.
I hope thing continue just get better and better!
-emily

Slim- I am very lucky! I've had so many cards and visitors and messages. It makes me realise how many people really do care about me. It's very nice. Although there have been a few people that haven't been in touch at all which is interesting! I think a chair would be too painful, tbh and I don't want to end up with bum juice all over it lol. Hmm attractive. Had a great shower today and managed to do it more independently which was good!

Ames- thanks for the warning! Sometimes while sitting on the loo I still get little bits of air coming out of it?!?! I know I'm not imagining it either! I have no idea where it comes from :/ the tingly feeling is horrible though so I stay away from it as much as possible lol

Thanks Emily. I'll be glad when I can stand up straight pain free again! I should really of worn a corset after my op to keep things from moving where my colon was to get a slimmer waist (joking lol)

Terriernut

Yeah!!!! Shower time, clean hair....whoooooop!!!!! Knew you could do it!! :dance:

I didnt do the chair in the shower either...cant imagine it would fit, cant imagine me getting in and out. And bum juice...no. You see, every day you are getting stronger and stronger, and better and better! It's the little things, look for them and give yourself a pat on the back.

Love your fart story, and it making you jump outta your skin! :rof: Still happens to me! Naughty little stomas!

Please, give yourself a pat on the back, you are progressing sooooo well Michelle! You are just awesome!

Thanks Emily. I'll be glad when I can stand up straight pain free again! I should really of worn a corset after my op to keep things from moving where my colon was to get a slimmer waist (joking lol)
That's hilarious! The way we suffer for beauty. :ylol2:

Keep healing and resting, you're doing great.

So now it's been a week since my op and I'm still alive! Whoop! Went to stay at my friend's/boyfriend's/I don't know what the hell he is's house for a few days which was a nice break. His sofa isn't as comfy as mine but his bed is crazy comfy.

I can now stand up straight and am in generally less pain although still on the pain killers. Bum juice is still the same and gross. Can't wait till that gets less!!!

Also my stoma was SO NOISY last night. It woke us BOTH up with it's constant farting. Still, it was pretty amusing. I honestly don't find it embarrasing when it does it either. I think it's because I have no control over it and have no idea when it's going to happen!

Wow, Michelle, you're doing amazing. I was still a big crybaby at the end of my first week.

My stoma was crazy-chatty in the beginning. The first time, I kept trying to figure out where the bullfrog croak or the chirping sounds of crickets were coming from. It took me a few minutes to realize that those sounds were coming from my stoma. They were startling and the loudness made me wonder if the surgeon hadn't stuck a small microphone somewhere near my stoma. Sheesh.

Keep a pad on for the bum yuckies! Good to see you're able to stand upright.

Kismet

Terriernut

Michelle, you looked amazing today! Ya'll should have seen her....and moving around very well too!

:beerchug::worthy:

Misty

Got some sanitry towels for the bum gunk, kismet. Being a girl does have it's benefits!

Haha thanks Misty. You brightened up my day! :)

Thank you Carol :)

Today was one of two firsts. I washed my hair properly in the shower and I had my first shower without my bag on! Was nice and mr stoma was very well behaved. Stomach is feeling really tender now though so going to rest for the rest of the afternoon. Hope everyone else is well!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am sorry your tummy is feeling tender. Best not push yourself too hard. Have your friend/BF/whatever he is pamper you a bit! You deserve to be spoiled.

Haha he's back to working all hours under the sun, Jill. My down's sister was helping me with the hair washing yesterday so she got to see my stoma. At first she was terrified of it and backed into the corner of the bathroom telling me she wasnt going to look at it lol. Then I told her it was fine and not scary. So she took a proper look and told me it looked like a red carrot lol!! Made my day Hahahaha

ameslouise

Just popping in to say hi and glad things seem to be going well for you! Those first showers and hair washing are always glorious!!!

- Ames

Felt a bit better today thanks, Misty. The pain in my side was actually not getting better at all and I even upped my pain killers! Was going to call the hospital today but felt better today so hoping its normal.

Bum juice is still as bad as it was. Meh. Can't wait till that lets up.

Also got the samples in the post today, so thanks. Although my surname isn't Edwards and the postman was all confused lol

Thank you Ames!! Unfortunately my bum isn't going to look as pretty as yours :( but slowly does it and I'm still thanking my lucky stars that my scars are so small!! Hope you are well! :)

Glad you are getting more mobile Michelle. I remember in the first few weeks everything is a massive effort and aches and pains appear all over the place.

I had a few pains around my sides after both my big ops, particularly after I was peeing as well, but this went with time. I hope the same happens here, but keep an eye on it and certainly keep your stoma nurse (if she is back yet, or she has a 2nd in command!) in the loop! Make sure you do call the hospital if you think it keeps geting worse.

I hope the bum juices ceases to be a problem soon. A lot has to heal down there. Mine looked pretty nasty for quite some time.

I think you're doing great. It's major major surgery and it's still early early days. With all of that going on you seem (as much as I can infer from an internet forum!) very chipper! As others have said...don't push yourself too hard too soon. We all have a tendency to expect more from ourselves.

Take care,

Gav :hug:

Thanks for this Gav. I really needed to read it this morning. Had a terrible night. My side was in loads of pain and I had loads of problems sleeping. Was very upset last night and this morning. Managed to get some sleep in the morning but the pain came back really badly in the afternoon again. Upped my tramadol to 100mg rather than 50mg and the pain is still there, albeit not as bad when the pain killers work.

Can't help thinking that I should be coming off the painkillers rather than taking more. When my mum came home I was in a mess again. The pain is so bad and the lack of sleep and constant pain is getting to me today. We called the hospital and they said that even though my output is normal and nothing has changed, they want me to keep on clear fluids for the next 24 hours. If I get worse or vomit or get a fever they want me to go to a&e, either there or locally. If I'm the same tomorrow then they said to go to the gp or call them again. I think I'll go to the gp and see what they say. At least if someone prods around my side then they'll know exactly where the pain is etc

Just feel so awful because my mum has now cancelled her much needed weekend away and dad is getting all angry because he wants her to go and I feel like its my fault :(

Terriernut

Hooo!! I'm home this weekend. You tell your mum to go, I'll take you where you need Michelle!

Go to Dr, absolutely. Or go to A&E now and see a surgeon and gastro. I do think your pain shouldnt be getting worse. No way. You should be getting a bit less pain every day.

Dont wait.

:redface: And I know your last name isnt Edwards. I was having a blond moment, thinking of my step daughters boyfriends last name. Or I can blame it on pred head. FFS I'm thick. So sorry!

Hi Michelle,

How are you feeling today? Sorry to hear how rubbish things have been.

As Misty says, things should be getting better. It's still early days, but as you have been adviced if things don't change get in touch with a doc or go to the hospital.

One thing that may be an issue here is the tramadol. It does have a slight constipating effect, not as much as codeine in my experience, but certainly it slows things down for me. Things are still early and perhaps a constipating effect could be causing some issues in your newly chnaged internal plumbing? Perhaps they could try a different type of pain killer with you here?

I was switched to amitriptyline reasonably early on due to consitpating effects of tramadol myself. I still actually use it for nerve pain. I'm wondering if the docs may want to review the exact type of pain killer here? Just a shot in the dark really but it may be worth considering.

Hope something helps for you. As I keep saying it's absolutely massive surgery you hae just had and your body has had somewhat of a massive trauma going through all of that. It's still very very early in your recovery and sometimes you have to lie back and remember that things WILL get better.
Remind your dad of that if you can. This is a massive op and he may not quite realise that. Do not think things are your fault!

Take care :hug: :hug:

Gav

Hi Gav.

Feeling a bit better today thank you. Had a better night which has improved my mood greatly! Think I'm feeling better just because I upped my dosage of tramadol, which obviously just seems to be masking the problem! The pain is less that I'm not in constant pain and can sleep but it's very much there even if I press gently on my side.

So going to the docs at 3:40 with one of the docs I like, which helps! I see what you're saying about the constipation but I've only had a thick output when taking the 100ml rather than 50ml. Been on liquids so it's not been thick today anyway. Hmm.

I shall update once ive been to the docs!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Michele, I'm so sorry that I've missed your entire stoma journey. I read from the beginning and was hoping everything would be hunky-dory by the time I got here but I see your still having the side pain. I hope the gp can give you some answers!

2 questions:

What the heck is "dry" shampoo?

Are you thinking of names for the little guy?

Ah that's ok Mark! Better late than never!

Dry shampoo is brilliant! Well it is for me with long hair that takes forever to wash and dry! It's basically like a can full of like.. Hmm a talcum power like substance. You spray it on your hair and rub it in and then brush it out and ta da, my hair is clean! Well, not greesy anymore. I usually just use it as a quick measure between washes.

No name yet but I need one! I just call it little stoma at the moment. I hate when I change my bag and see him all dirty!!

But as for the docs, I cried when I got in there. Felt like a right numpty! Felt really sick before I left which didnt help. Anyway. She had a prod and felt a lump where the pain is worst. She thinks it's post operative bruising still as if it was an access or obstruction, I'd feel worse and have other symptoms. She said to look out for the other symptoms and if I feel worse, to go back to the docs or call the hospital again.

Feel better for this news and that someone has had a feel and said its just normal. She reminded me that even though I had it laproscopically, it was still a major operation and that even though people expect me to be up and about, it's not always realistic. What you guys have been saying, basically!

Nyx

Glad your pain wasn't too serious Michelle....not a comfort I know, but at least it wasn't a hernia or obstruction.

You should start a "name my stoma" thread...that's where I got Oscar's name from :) Although when you said you call yours little stoma, I immediately thought you could shorten it to LS...lol By the way, I hate it when I take my bag off and Oscar's all dirty too...I'm an obsessive stoma cleaner...lol I can't even stand having poop in my bag. I'm a bit OCD that way...lol

Thanks Cindy. The painkillers are working well on the upped dose so I'm getting some relief. The trouble is with naming him is that everyone needs to meet him! Lol. I'm such a loser though, it's had some blood recently where the stoma meets the skin although I've been told its normal. And when I'm wiping it away, I'm all 'aw you poor stoma, you're bleeding!', completely forgetting that the stoma is actually part of myself and that the blood is coming from me! Thank god the bags aren't transparent or I'd never be happy with the cleanliness! You're lucky you have a colostomy then! I hate emptying my bag for the first time since changing it because then the end gets all dirty on the inside. Luckily I only think about these things when dealing with the bag or I'd be grossed out all the time lol.

Thanks Mark! My poor co worker had been desperate for me to go back to work and asked when I thought I'd be back yesterday. I was like..'er, I have no idea!'

I shall take a pic of my stomach area in a bit to show you all (it'll be me showing off really) how small my scars are!