• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns 5 years and only getting a Barium now!

Hi All,

I'm 19 and from Ireland! I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2006.. My dad has Crohn's so as soon as I had any symptoms my mam had me in straight away so it was caught very quickly.. I had a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy and then I was certainly diagnosed with Crohn's. I suffer from it at the terminal ileum which is the end part which connects the large and small intestine!
I never had a scan or anything or a barium followlthrough and now 5 years later they decided I should get one!
I was dealing with a Doctor out in my county hospital and then I went to a Professor in Dublin, Ireland who first diagnosed my dad and he said I should have a scan and a Barium at the beginning. I'm getting the Barium on monday and i'm quiet nervous about getting this, so if anybody could give me positive insight on this I would be delighted! :thumleft:
My dad suffers extremely bad from Crohns, he was diagnosed with it too late and he had to have half his gut removed! This was 25 odd years ago so it wasn't well known..
He then had many operations to try relieve his pain and his symptoms and was put on countless medications.. Then, 2 years ago he fell seriously ill and he couldn't even move with the pain!
He was put on endless antibiotics as they believed it was just an abscess reoccurring time and time again but boy were the wrong!! This went on for a full year! He went to see the Professor and as soon as he looked at him he sent him straight to surgery..
In surgery they found something none of the surgeons ever dealt with! His intestines were completely mashed together, they described it as elastic bands all tangled! He had to have the majority of his intestines removed and then they hoped to leave a small area to be able reverse this as he was fitted with a colostomy bag, but this then leaked and he had to rushed to surgery immediately, they said that he might not come through the surgery :( but luckily for us he did!!
This was all a year ago and only now is he really able cope with the change in his life, life can be complicated at first with a colostomy bag but it all takes getting used to, and now and again things just don't work out but you have to stay positive!!

Anyway, I have told you about my dad just for those who need any information or support as thats what I give my dad so I'm here for that!
And also anybody who needs any information atall feel free to ask (",)

Hope everyone is doing well xxx

Hi Eve Just wondering why you need a barium now as you say after 5 years of diagnosis. I've had my colonoscopy and I was hoping that would be it! Are you having symptoms again or something? Hope it goew ok.

I went to see a Professor that deals with the bowel and I never had one at first so he wants to get it done just to see how it is after 5 years and if there is anything that needs doing! :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Eve and welcome :) How are your symptoms at this point? Are you on any meds?

I'm glad your dad made it through surgery ok. Poor guy!

All my best to both of you!

Hello,

I'm doing good thanks! Symptoms are very much non-existent to be honest! Now and again I have a flare up but they are not near what I used to suffer from.

Not on any meds at the moment, waiting for the Barium follow through which is on Monday and then my consultant will get all he needs from that!
I was previously on,
Pentasa and Asacolon.

But my new consultant is trying me off them to see how I can cope and I have never felt better than I do since I stopped!
Thanks for the post! :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Eve and welcome! If you are doing so well, I am unsure why your GI is ordering a barium follow through. To be honest, I find the imaging tests not to be very good at detecting issues unless it is severe; mine always come back normal because my inflammation is quite mild.

However, if your GI is demanding the test, it's not too big of a deal. A barium follow through isn't that bad. The worst is drinking the barium. But if you have had a colonoscopy and experienced prep, the barium is nothing. It's like a not so yummy vanilla milk shake, but it's tolerable.

I am glad your symptoms are pretty non-existent. Perhaps to keep it that way it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a maintenance med like Pentasa again to keep the inflammation at bay.

Lastly, thanks for sharing your dad's story. I hope he continues to improve with the colostomy bag.

Good luck with ur barium i have had one done year and half ago when i was diagnosed with crohns its over quickly enough and is an interesting test to see how it works although at the time i was very ill o wasnt too bothered. im sure if u have had a colonoscopy and done prep u'll b able to drink it
, il be honest its not the most pleasant thing to drink. Ur poor dad sounds like he has really had a tough time with his crohns. I hope ur test goes well and love to ur dad.x

Hi great to have you aboard Eve! The barium could provide some more insights, it can reveal other gastro problems if there are any. Also, the time that it takes to move through your system is significant and could provide info on if you have a slow moving system or a fast moving system, or if it is in the normal range that it should be in. The barium tests are interesting to say the least. First, when you are on the scanning table, they give you this fizzy soda type substance that is like a coca-cola with a bunch of "pop rocks" in it. You have to drink it down very quick or you will spit it all over the doctor. This stuff blows up your insides with air. Next you have to start drinking down the chalky barium drink, it does not have a great taste and there is a lot of it.... They will just have you move in different positions and drink the barium at different times and watch it move through you. Then later (about 15 to 20 minutes) you will poop it out and it will look like wet cement and that is it.

Hi, no his name is Professor O' Morain. He was based in Tallaght hospital and now he is only out in Charlemont Clinic! He is brilliant. And really lovely aswell!
Where is Professor Keeling based? I had mine the other day, its grand starting off but its not such a nice after a while but you do get through it! Good Luck whenever yours is :)
I'll have a look at that now!

Hope Your Well :D

He is based in St James Hospital.
Good to hear you are over it now...mine is next Friday...:)
Take care..

If you ever want a 2nd opinion on anything I would definitely recommend Prof. O'Morain. He first diagnosed it when my dad had it and he is also on research of finding a cure! And I have no doubt he will find it one day :) hopefully!

Oh good luck, you'll be great!