• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C

Charmaine

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this site and thought I would say hi. I have Crohns disease and was first diagnosed in 1987. I have had a right hemi-colectomy and a small bowel resection. I am currently on azathioprine and just about to start taking Questran in the vain hope that I won't need to keep running to the toilet 12times a day. I'm quite nervous of taking this as I'm really not good with medicines and to be honest have an awful time taking the preparation for colonoscopy's.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience of taking questran and whether they found it helped. I've taken imodium in the past but after taking as many as sixteen in a day, I was advised that this probably was not the solution.

I'm also on a low fibre diet and find that all food is now so boring. If anyone has any ideas on how to liven up my menu I would be eternally grateful.

Take care everyone
Char

Kev

Hi Charmaine. Welcome to the forum. Felt I had to say hi because I've a sister named Charmaine. Anyway, not familiar with questran. However, imodium is a big no no, as it dehydrates to stop big 'D', which makes the whole process much more painfull. It sounds/seems counter-intuitive to increase fluid intake while suffering from diarrhea, but unless the GI tract is kept well hydrated, one will suffer for it.

As for the 'blandness' of a low fibre diet, WOW, do I know what you mean. The harder part for me is avoiding fibre. Seems everyone jumped on board, adding a ton of extra fibre to everything. I have to read ingredient labels very closely, and pick and choose carefully. Anyway, plain white bread is so boring, but I've added pita bread, or white flour tacos (soft or hard), even home made or baked white bread.. (long as it's not too fresh - fresh yeast seems to cause problems)
as a staple. White wheat pasta, some specific veggies, and white rice is about all I'm allowed. (my diet is low fibre, low residue, low fat, low lactose, hi protein diet that a dog would turn up his nose at).. But, I've experimented, tried some of this N that, kept a diary/journal of what I eat and how my body responds. Its a pretty person specific sort of thing, you sort of have to tailor it for yourself. If its of any help, I sugested on another thread that forum members offer up some of their best recipes and we compile it into a cookbook. Failing that, we might try a forum thread dedicated to exchanging recipes. We share everythng else. Anyway, welcome to the forum. keep posting, and all the best, OK

Welcome!

Hello Charmaine and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm hoping you find answers to your questions here as most have been through what you have happening to you now.

As far as Imodium, my GI doctor gives it to me by prescription, as long as I don't take it every day. I usually only take it now when I am going shopping for the day, or out to dinner, so I'm not rushing off to the nearest washroom as often.

The name Questran sounds very familiar to me and it could be I took that while I was going through the diagnosis process 10 years ago.

I think diet is different with everyone. Myself I have to be careful with the fibre as well. But when I am not feeling up to par, I get by on the chicken, rice, fish diet. No fresh gassy vegetables and I watch the fruit. Bananas are okay...and apple juice.

It is kinda hard but you get to know, as you probably already do,
that it's all trial and error.

Please have a look around the different topics here..
any questions?... ask away...
a need to vent?...feel free to do that as well.

Once again welcome!
Hugs~Nancy

If you have a hard time with the colonoscopy prep (like most of us do) see if your doc will give you the pills to take instead of the liquid.