• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you take anything for Pain?

I also have ankloysing Spondalois its starting to work on my neck. I don't take anything yet, but imagine I will if it keeps progressing. How about you?

I wish sometimes that I had something for the pain, but I usually just grit my teeth and bear it. I've guessed that I might have something seriously wrong with my back, but haven't managed to finish the tests to find out what.

J

jobengals

Not until I move to cali.

besides legality issues, it's probably the safest pain killer out there. Just not the strongest.

I don't currently really have any pain to speak of, but I was taking Hydrocodone after my resection. Last time I had Oxycodone which I prefer.

But lately I've been getting spammed to death with painkiller emails. It all goes to my Junk folder, but I'm getting like 20 a day.

J

Jvstin

they usually keep me on a regular prescription of hydrocodone. but I currently have none.

I also saw a rheumatologist, and he said that he could give me steroid injections into the areas I have pain... lol but I told him I'd deal with the pain.

R

rhapsody86

katiesue1506 said:
Other than Tylenol... nope I bear it as well.
I've heard Tylenol does work sometimes. Funny thing is that was coming from a crohn's patient. My friend has terrible headaches and Tylenol never works. She has to have prescription meds...I don't know much but it seems like it'd be the other way around to me.

I ask because my neck is almost fused together. One of thse where you see the doctor look at the Xray and yell OH MY GOD!

J

jobengals

the problem with hydrocodone is that it can get you constipated. drink lots of water!

Kev

Well, before I was diagnosed, even before I was noticeably symptomatic, I had a bout of constipation. Ended up 'impacted'. Now, with all of the pain and discomfort of the raging bouts of diarrhea I've had since being diagnosed, becoming grossly/severely symptomatic, NOTHING compares to constipation! I was extremely alert to avoiding that after I noticed my pain meds caused it. I would switch to a liquid only diet at the very first sign. It does sound bizarre to go from one extreme to another, even laughable to a person who has never had to go thru it. It's one of the few things that I do not joke about. Maybe just because I'm overly superstitious about it all.

I'd take D over constipation any day. I became impacted not too long after being home from surgery. The codeine they sent me home with did it. After several days I went to the emergency room. That was the most unpleasant, painful, and generally degrading day of my life. At home this day is referred to as "The Day Of Which We Do Not Speak" ;)

yeah the Constipation is horrible agreed there. I get it if i drink to much milk. i;ve never had anything impacted that i know of but i have felt like it was stuck and thought it would never come out ,then when did it seemed to rip you open down there

Kev

Well, it's painful AND embarrassing. My event occured suddenly, w/o warning. I couldn't make it home, the pain was just too extreme. My g/f (at the time) was nearby. I managed to make it there (barely). fortunately, she is a nurse. I explained my situation, I went into the 1/2 bathroom off her foyer, she went to the pharmacy and picked up some enemas, and a few other essentials. The supplies helped me correct the situation, but the sounds and other things eminating from her bathroom while I dealt with this certainly didn't do anything to cement our relationship, nurse or not. I think it definitely ended up being a nail in the coffin of our relationship. Now, thats embarrassing! Felt like I was delivering a full grown bull elephant. :-(

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Whatever painkillers you try, you must always be careful to avoid the constipating ones (opiate family) and the ones that cause GI bleed as side effect.

J

jobengals

lizzyfan said:
It was my only pain killer that I used through the years of suffering before surgery
yeah, man should always be united with his herb. Do you use any other pain killers nowadays?