• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dehydration and Crohn's Disease

K

Kossy

Ok, this question goes all to all my peeps that have had their colon or any number of feet of small intestines removed.

Let me first start off by saying that I don't have a colon and I am missing about two feet of small intestine. I believe it's somewhere in the hospital but I can't find it anywhere.

So when I wake up in the morning I am soo dehydrated. I know because I am missing a lot of intestines I am more prone to it. But even when I wake up for a midnight pee run I am still feeling like I've been walking through the desert for days.
I've tried drinking a boat load of water/gatorade before bed but still I wake up drier then a dead dingo in the desert (one of my friends that was orginally from Australia says that all the time, but I had to edit it a bit).
So does anyone else suffer from this? Does anyone know what I can do?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Sorry I really do not have any useful tips (as it seems you tried anything I could have suggested). Maybe try asking in a health food store,as they may have products that will help you.

I actually now remember in the hospital that they recommended that my roommate start taking salt pills so that he would sweat less (he worked outside) and would retain more water. The problem with salt was it could be bad for the heart though (I think).

Ask your GI they are the best people to ask about this they could get you to a nutritionist who can maybe help you out with this.

Good luck

Jeff

Kossy said:
still I wake up drier then a dead dingo in the desert (one of my friends that was orginally from Australia says that all the time, but I had to edit it a bit).
So does anyone else suffer from this? Does anyone know what I can do?
Kossy....what a quote..lol I know what you edited out you naughty boy.:D

Could it be the meds making you dehydrated? I've had sections of small and large bowel out (no bag tho) and yes, mine's gone MIA as well.

Here are some questions based on my own experiences:

1. Do you drink a lot of coffee? Coffee will dehydrate
2. Do you take any over the counter diarrhoea medications? These all have a dehydrating effect. I use them and if I don't take care I wake up with a dry mouth, headache etc. Actually, the mouth feels like the bottom of a cockies cage...lol
3. Any alcohol? That too will dehydrate.
4. Have you been tested for diabetes?

I'd recommend you go back to your doctor to investigate as there could be any number of reasons.

Have you tried keeping a bottle of water by the bed for during the night?

cheers
Lisa

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

Hi Kossy

i to have dehydration problems i am always thirsty (espesially after a voddy lol), as we have alot less bowel than the average person things go through our bowels alot faster because they have less time to absorb.
we need extra liquids as well as salt!!
I get dioralyte on perscription from the docs in the summer, make sure you drink lots of water and like above not to much caffine
(((((((hugs))))))))))
hope you sort it soon

K

Kossy

Thanks ladies. I do drink coffee and I do use imodium. I try to avoid that stuff hours before I go to bed.
I drink water like a fish.
I talked to someone about this the other day and they suggested that I ate a small bag of chips or have some soup before bed to get more salt into my system. So far so good. It's been working. I don't feel thirsty in the morning.