• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

1 in every 200

Crohn's Disease On The Rise
Yap this is true. I read somewhere on the web( cant recall where tho.)that one in every 200 Canadians suffer from CD. I was at my GI's last week and he has confirmed this is true. Why I ask. Well he could not give me an answer.

Just thought that I would share this little tibit info with you all.
I also red these words somewhere along the way. They kinda uplift my spirits.

LIVE SIMPLY
LUV GENEROUSLY
CARE DEEPLY
SPEAK KINDLY
LEAVE THE REST TO GOD :)

1 in every 200 sounds like a lot. The only good thing I can see about this is that, the more people who have it, the more will be done to find a cure.

Nice words.

yah it does aye.But my Dr. confirmed it too. I have been racking my brain to recall where I saw this article.You would think that this many people getting this disease that one would think why someone hasnt come up with a cure. Why dont they put more scientist or what ever they call them selfs on the payroll.
Hey Kev whats your thoughts?

If I remember correctly, that is the same percentage as the chance of a child developing Autism. I wonder if there is a connection between the cause?

Hmmm.

Dan Bergman

If some kind of Crohns epidemic is going on in Canada right now you would think that someone could trace it to a cause. It must have something to do with the environment or the diet thats causing 1 out of every 200 Canadians to end up with Crohns.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the study

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00603.x

CONCLUSIONS: Approximately 0.5% of the Canadian population has IBD. Canada has the highest incidence and prevalence of CD yet reported.

Shouldn't the Candian government investigate this high rate and maybe through that know a cause for this disease? I mean it cannot be only genetics as Canada is a mixed country with many races and ethnic origins so maybe there it's an infectious agent like a virus or bacteria????

Kev

Well, if one takes this study at face value (and I've no reason to dis-believe either it or the numbers it provides - tho I'm not crazy about their use of 'unexplained' terms like 'incidence', or 'prevalance' - and the fact that, in the version available to non members, one doesn't get to see the math that lead to the 0.05 final number)... Then this is (or at least should be) a major wake-up call. Numbers have gone from 1:300 to 1:200 in less than a single generation.
I don't know of any other single, chronic, incurable disease where the numbers have gone up so alarmingly, so dramatically, so out of proportion to anything I've seen. Why aren't the alarms going off? Apparently, no one respects IBD!

I think all you Canadian members should push your representatives in parliament to take action; you can use this study as a starting point.... Maybe try to contact the people who did it...