• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nervous about starting humira

nervous about starting humira

I am due have my first 4 injections of Humira on Monday and I am a little apprehensive to say the least. Anyone got any words of advice?:sign0144:

Don't panic! :)
Listen and remember to to what the nurse training you to use the pens tells you, perhaps take a friend with you to a) hold your hand, b) to act as another brain to remember what you were told but without the associated fears/etc.

Read The Humira Thread. Come back with more questions :) No, that thread is starting to get a bit long to point people at so I really must distill it's knowledge into to a all about Humira page at some point.

The injections do hurt a bit, but I think much of it is the antic....ipation. Leave the pen out for 20mins before injecting, find out whether tummy or thighs hurt less. Have a treat afterwards.
Humira is a remarkable drug, much safer than the leaflet and what you may read implies - because they have to put everything in it since it started in trials, but still deserves a great deal of respect.

Hope it works well for you!

Thanks for the advice.

when you read the side-effects leaflet it makes you think twice that's for sure!
each new drug you try you approach with trepidation and hope it works, nothing has so far but when faced with further operations anything is worth a go!

fingers crossed!

I used humira for a little over a year. The injections do sting a little, it's just a pinch so it's not all that bad. Just make sure to do the injection where you have the most fat. The Humira worked fairly well for me, it wasn't 100% perfect as I was still getting mouth sores and stomach pain while taking it but it did help. Hopefully it works well for you :)

Each new drug has a long list of side effects so it's best not to look at them and just go for it :p that's what I do :p

Best of luck! hopefully it works well for you :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Sara, many people have been on Humira, you have some great advice here and to add some put an ice pack on the area first so lessen the sting. It really isn't that bad, I opted for the syringe, the Pen seemed to look a bit more scary for me lol.

Humira is not as strong as Remicade but many do well on it. As mentioned above relax and we are here if you have any questions. :hang:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I don't have any experience with Humira, but I wanted to wish you luck. It has done wonders for so many on the forum. I hope it does the same for you.

Good luck!