• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy prep - not so bad!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Usuallly, for me, drinking the prep for the colonoscopy is the worst part of it.
-The first time it was yucky yucky salty fleet phospho-soda mixed with any clear liquid. It was so gag-a-licious.

-The second time, it was four pills of some sort, then tons of salty go-lytely solution with "flavor" option. Double gag.

-This time, I had to take 2 tiny Dulcolax pills with water, then 2 more 2 hours later. Then I had to mix some powdered Miralax into Gatorade, and drink 32 ounces at night, and 32 ounces in the morning. The GOOD news - it didn't change the taste of the Gatorade!! It was a teeny bit thicker than usual, but barely noticable. I don't particularly like the taste of Gatorade, but it wasn't salty - so I handled it! 32 ounces sounds like a lot, but just pour it out 3 times, and add ice. Not bad!

The only bad thing was that it took a long time to kick in. I drank it at 5 pm , and I got up most of the night, with the worst (explosive) part at 3 am. If my toilet was 2 feet further away, I would've had a big clean up....

Happy drinking!!

T

TheLazy1

Yeah, I don't understand why they must all taste so horrible - there has to be a better way.
On the plus side the last time I was allowed to take 2 fleet phosphosoda instead of citromag + 1 fleet, not as much to drink but the salty oil is nasty.

I did find the best way to take the fleet was this:
1) Drink disgusting stuff
2) Rinse out mouth with a tasty drink (I used orange gatorade)
3) Spit it out
4) Drink some more gatorate/drink
5) Repeat until gone

Still horrible, but nowhere near as bad as trying to down the bottle in one go.

It wasn't so much the taste for me.... more the nasty oily feeling going down my throat.... yuck.

But it does taste nasty... I liken it to drinking a big glass of sweat.... not that I've ever done that before... but EWW. Anything I drank with my prep was ruined... I didn't ever want to drink sprite EVER again.

R

ruthymg

I haven't tried the drinks you mention as over here in the UK, we use Kleenprep, but thats equally disgusting!!!

Ruth

L

Lee1975

The trouble with me is that the prep has the totally opposite effect with me and I end up being cinstipated and I tell them this everytime.

22wendylou

Wow! I wonder what in its chemical make-up does that to you. Love the avatar, btw.

I have had experiences similar to the prior posts....Nasty stuff!