• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

22 and Crohns

I was diagnosed with Crohns shortly after my 22nd birthday in February.
The entire experiance was very unpleasent. :yfaint:
I began the diagnosis with self treatment.
My symptoms were extreme gas, headaches, constipation, cramps, dizzy spells and I was extremely dehydrated and pale.
I gave up coffee first, then milk products... Then i went to a strict liquid diet.
The water diet lasted 5 days before i went to the emergancy room.
I got 2 catscans, a lower gi and a colonoscopy.
The colonoscopy was a nightmare. The prep they gave me resembled lemon gatorade (which used to be my favorite), it was supposed to clean my system out. I did not pass anything through my system.
When i finally went to get the test, they woke me up at 5 am, rolled my in a bed to a waiting room, where i waited for an hour next to at least 5 or 6 men over the age of 50. I was embarressed and they seemed confused on why i was there.:shifty-t:
The exam itself was so painful, i cried and screamed the entire time, even with the large amount of drugs i was given. :yrolleyes:
The next day i was sent home and was to wait for the diagnosis.
The pain declined but i still did not feel back to normal health.
When i was diagnosed i was given 5 different pills to take throught the day.
I spent almost 3 months of pills and seemed to be in normal health.
My doctor acknowlegded that i may go back to a normal diet with spicey food and alcohol in moderation.:thumleft:
I am currently having my first flare up since diagnosis. And i am slighty confused about how to handle it. Do i go to my doctor and get more steriods? Do i go back to the soft diet, or do i simply let it pass. I am going to see my doctor on Wednesday for more answers.
To make everything so much easier my work is switching my health insurance and they do not cover my current doctor. So any work i have for the next month will cost me an arm and a leg.
:mad2:
This is simply a summery of my story, but i do feel good about getting it out there. My friends and family seem like they do not understand my situation, which can be frustrating for me, so i need people in my life who understand what i am going through, and who are not my doctor, who will just perscribe me with pollutants like pills and steroids for my condition.

Hello Shay and welcome to the forum..
A colonoscopy is not the best procedure at the best of times..and yours sounds brutal.
Regarding flare ups...I am fairly new to all this myself, but I would suggest you get back to your doc as quickly as you can. Flare ups tend to need immediate treatment with some kind of medication and doing nothing is not really an option.
I am quite sure someone more experienced then i will be along soon to give you more precise information...
Take care...

Hi Shay and welcome. Sorry to hear you have Crohn's and that you're flaring. I'm with Del. Glad you're going back to see the doc. I'm afraid the medications and invasive procedures can be part and parcel of this disease. A few months back, I was on 20 pills a day and I don't bat an eyelid at needles now.
However, drugs like steroids are usually a temporary measure designed to get you into remission, tho you may have to stay on a long- term maintenance med.
I too hate taking so many drugs, but the implications of not taking them scare me. I was awake for part of a recent colonoscopy (yep, it bloody hurts) and actually seeing my ulcerated bowel was quite a shock.
Have you looked into diet as a means of helping with symptoms? Do you find some things trigger them? I'm not suggesting it as a way to replace meds, but it can help, possibly make you feel a little more in control and give you some relief.
Let us know how you get on at the docs.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Shay and welcome! Wow! That colonoscopy experience does sound terrible! You should have been out cold. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

I am glad you have an appointment set up for Wednesday. If you aren't feeling well and you think a flare is coming on, never wait until last minute to reach out to your GI. You may need some more testing and an adjustment to your meds, but if you catch any issues quickly, hopefully things can be resolved before getting any worse.

Let us know how your appointment goes. Good luck!

Thank you all! I will let you know how the appointment goes on Wednesday. I am nervous because I was recently taken off of Prednisone and Entocort, and things were okay for a few months.
Fingers crossed this isnt another sleep over at the hospital.
Thank you all for your concern. :)

Get as relaxed as much as you can even if you dont think you are getting relaxed..:)
Hope all goes well and let us know how you get on Shay.
Take care....

David

Co-Founder
Hi Shay and welcome. What country do you live in? The vast majority of colonoscopys these days are done in a manner where you aren't unconscious and don't remember a thing.

I'd suggest checking out our diet, fitness, and supplements forum when you get a chance. It can make a world of difference.

Good luck!

Hello Guys,
I just got back from the doctor he prescribed me Asacol (400mg) and Prednisone (20mg). I have to see him in a week, and if there is no improvement he is putting me back into the hospital for more tests :-/

David- I live in the USA, in Chicago.
And i will definatly check out the diet, fitness and supplements forum. Thank you!!!