• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey..

Hi to all users,

My name is Renato, i live in south africa and am 20 years old. I was first diagnosed with in August of 2009. and only found this forum today (lucky me).
im currently on the following medication:

Salazopyrin 500mG x 4 daily
Prednisone 5 x 4 daily
Azapress 50mG x 2 daily.

I hear that smoking really affects crohns disease, i guess it is true but im battling to stop.. does anyone have advice how to stop??? I've tried nicotine chewing gum but it doesnt help.

Hard core - cold turkey! Man I suffered when I quit five years ago, but it gets better over time. Just hang in there and find support. And don't hang out with smokers!

How are the smoking laws in SA? Here in Ontario you can't smoke anywhere public.

Thanks i will try lol...Its getting there, we not allowed to smoke in public buildings and only certain restaurants have smoking sections. There is a law that is going to come into effect sometime in the next year or two whereby you not allowed to smoke within 10 meters of a building and in any public areas.

Jessi

Hi Renato. Love your name. Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I've heard that smoking is really bad for Crohn's, too. I have never been a smoker, but have some good friends that are. The ones that quit were only able to do so with a really great support system. Do you have family or friends who can help you through this? If there is nobody around who can assist you, I suggest starting a support thread here on the forum. Whenever you start craving a cig, jump online and talk about it with the rest of us. We can help you if you're ready to make that change. :hug:

The laws that are heading your way sound like the laws that were put into affect here where I live. It makes for a nice clean environment.

Good luck! We're here for you. :)

Thanks Jessica,

Yes but my family just shouts me and tell me i must stop but they not really supporting me to do so.. I think the finding this forum has given me the extra encouragement needed to stop smoking. i will start as from tomorrow since ive already smoked 15 cigarettes today :(... tomorrow its a new leaf for me....

Hi welcome :)

I am not a smoker and have never tried. Have you tired a medicated patch? Sometimes it does help people who have nicotine cravings. I counseled people in an addiction center that when they came they were not allowed to smoke. For many of them this was very difficult. The patch they said did somewhat help. Some candy also. Even if it is just sucking candy to keep your mouth occupied when you do have a craving. The first best step is one that sounds like you have. You have to want to quit in order to make the change! Hopefully it will subside some crohns symptoms but you will also feel a lot better in other ways also. Good luck :)

Thank Jenn
I've tried he patches. They give me a headache. But thanks hey this is great. This forum is really motivating me

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Kicking the habit can be hard. I never was a full blown smoker, but I smoked socially. Granted, I could smoke almost a full pack in a few hours out with the girls. But I haven't had a smoke since my bowel issues began. It hasn't been easy, but after a year, I don't really miss it.

Good luck!

Jessi

I'm so proud of you, Renato, for your motivation! Yes, there are a LOT of people here that want nothing more than to help each other. We are all family and there is a whole lot of love here.

When you start your thread for quitting, you start a brand new healthier life. Let us know when you're ready. :hug:

Hello Renato, I smoke cigarettes and I have crohn's as well.
I quit a few years back and didnt smoke for a year and a half.
What i did was i carried a full, unopened pack of cigarettes on me while i quit cold turkey. I was also sick with a cold at the time, so the sight or smell of smoke made me sick to my stomach.
I refused to open the pack anytime anyone asked for one, i simply carried it with me to know, if i can hold a pack a smokes on me, and not smoke, then i can go in public places and not be tempted when someone is smoking.
I did start smoking again by choice, really stupid on my part. Life changing events happened that made me begin again.
I do not want to stop, that is why i have not tried yet.
Do yourself a favor, make sure you really want to quit.
That is the only way you will.
If you do not, your just going to have a viscous cycle of trying to give up.
My advice, find the motivation to want to stop.

Actually writing this, made me want to find it myself.
Hopefully you can find your escape, and hopefully i stop being stubborn.
Good luck!

Hello and welcome to the forums Renato...
Smoking does have an impact on Crohns disease...http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/ibdfaqs/a/smokingguts.htm and studies seem to indicate we do put our own cells under more pressure. Smoking can weaken the immune system which is not good!!!

I would say that long term decent health should be enough of a motivational factor to help you quit. I would strongly suggest that you find a way that works and quick for your healths sake. Cold turkey is probably the best ans safest was.
good luck and take care...Renato

I thank you all so much for the advice...
@shay, i know what you mean it was life changing events that got me started in the first place. i wont lie, i do enjoy smoking but health is more important now, i mean if i stopped alcohol then surely i can stop smoking ( by the way i havent had an alcoholic beverage in two years but what i do enjoy once in a while is a non alcoholic beer :) )..... So cold turkey it is... as of tomorrow morning (my local time lol) i will start a new thread for the crohns, IBD, etc smokers who want to quit...

once again thank you everyone this is really helping me..

Jessi

I am so happy for you, that you brought me to tears! This is a HUGE and important step in your healthy future. Can you just picture yourself?

And that's absolutely FABULOUS that you haven't had a drink in 2 years!!! Well done! You are my hero! You can totally do this! :hug:

Jessi

I wanted to share this with you. This was taken from Wikipedia.

An electronic cigarette, or e-cigarette, is an electrical device that simulates the act of tobacco smoking by producing an inhaled mist bearing the physical sensation, appearance, and the flavor and nicotine content of inhaled tobacco smoke; without the odor, and intended to omit its health risks. The device uses heat, or ultrasonics, to vaporize a propylene glycol- or glycerin-based liquid solution into an aerosol mist, similar to the way a nebulizer or humidifier vaporizes solutions for inhalation.

Electronic cigarettes are portable, self-contained cylindrical devices the size of a ballpoint pen or magic marker; though sizes vary due to differing battery capacities. Electronic cigarettes have been designed to resemble actual cigarettes or cigars, or even pipes. Some are reusable, with replaceable and refillable parts. Other models are disposable.

The electronic cigarette has been marketed as an alternative to tobacco smoking, or a smoking cessation device. It attempts to deliver the experience of smoking without, or with reduced adverse health effects associated with tobacco smoke. Concerns have been raised about use of the devices. Among them are that use carries health risks, and that it could appeal to non-smokers, such as children.

The benefits and adverse effects of electronic cigarette use are a subject of disagreement among different health organizations and researchers. Controlled studies of electronic cigarettes are scarce due to their recent invention and subsequent rapid growth in popularity. Laws governing the use and sale of electronic cigarettes, as well as the accompanying liquid solutions, vary widely, with pending legislation and ongoing debate in many regions.

Last edited: