• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey, i'm new on here.

S

sarahinyoface

hey, i'm new on here.

hey everyone. I'm new to this message board, my friend told me about it. I'm glad she did actually, as I've never spoke to people who have the same condition as me before.

I'm 17, i have crohn's disease. I was diagnosed with it in march 2003. although i suffered with it for over 6 months before that.
I was admitted to hospital in february 2003 and was there for a month until they found out what was wrong with me. I had all the common tests; barium, bloods, white cell scan, endoscopy etc.
They then put me on a high does of prednisolone, azathioprine and pentasa granules. I also had an NG feeding tube and wasn't allowed food for 6 weeks whilst i had Elemental through the tube.
I came off the steroids slowly, and my crohns became worst.

In December last year i finished another course of steroids (prednisolone). I was on them for over a year. I was sick of being on them. They helped at first but I was on them for such a long time they didn't seem to make any difference to my illness anymore. Every time i went for a hospital appointment they would either put the dose up or down. I was so fed up with it. Anyway I've finally come off steroids, which I'm very glad about.

At the moment i'm taking:
azathioprine - 150mg
mezalazine - 1g - 3 times a day = 3g
omeprazole - 20mg
VSL#3 - one sachet mixed with water.

I also have 1000ml of Ensure Plus through my p.e.g. tube overnight, 7 nights a week just to 'top me up' because I don't eat enough during the day.

I'm having a very tough time at the moment. I've had to quit college because i couldn't keep up with the work due to having too much time off being ill.
I've been feeling so down and haven't felt like doing much at all.
Hopefully I should be going on Infliximab (Remicade) soon. I can't wait to feel better.

I mostly suffer with pains in the morning when i get up, can anyone else relate to this? When i get pains i just have to run to the toilet quickly.

thanks for reading this anyway.
Sarah. x

Kev

Hi Sarah Welcome to the forum Sorry about school. Have you ever considered correspondence educational programs? Not those fly by nite, cheapie outfits, but real, legitimate schools that offer long distance programs via the internet, etc.. I received a specialized degree from a distinguished northern university while still working via correspondence. It took me two and 1/2 years, but it was worth it. I wasn't ill at the time, just couldn't leave my wife and kids, or my job, to pursue it. Anyway, I think if you look into it, you'll be amazed at just how many top notch schools offer these types of programs, and the variety and diversity of topics, subjects, programs that are to be had. Just a thought, OK?

S

sarahinyoface

I think i know what you mean, yeah. We have something like that in the UK i think. But you have to pay for it. Seen as i don't have much money I would prefer not to do that.
I am determined to go back to college in september. I want to study Photography (its free too, so i don't have to worry about money.)
I finished compulsory education in 2006 when i was 16. I went to college and completed a course in Retail. I then started another course but i couldn't keep up (as ive said before).

hopefully when i start the remicade i will feel much better and be able to do that course in photography and keep up with the work.

Kev

Well, it wouldn't hurt to see if there is a subsidized program available due to health issues (never hurts to ask)... Or a form of compensation, even free courses due to life restrictions due to health... Even the free course you want may be to be had in a distance format. Have you talked to a peer advisor or educational counsellor about these or other options? There may be choices you don't know of

S

Shane

Welcome to the forum Sarah. I started Remicade in Nov and It has been good at suppressing the symptoms. I hope it works for you.

Good luck with everything.

hiya & welcome sarah :)

i can imagine how holding down a college course with active crohns must be a virtually impossible task. i really hope you can get things to settle in time for september - you've got a fair few months till then, so fingers crossed you will be ok to not only take the course, but enjoy it too!

best of luck with your meds.

dingbat.