• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post Op Resection Surgery/ Please Help

I'm new to the Forum. I've had crohns disease since age 11 and I'm 32 now. I just had resection surgery and I'm at my 4th week after the surgery. I have the incision just below my belly button and it runs to right about my pelvic area. I don't feel much pain at this point. I just feel some discomfort at the incision point. If I sneeze or cough I still feel a bit of pain. I had about 6 inches of my terminal illium removed and about 5 inches of my colon removed. I also had a very large fistula that ran down that area which they removed.

My concerns are that I'm running to the bathroom everytime I eat. Sometimes I havnt finished eating and I have to run to the bathroom.

My stool are always loose. I go to the bathroom often and I've lost a lot of weight. I've always been skinny and just before the surgery I was weighing 124 lbs. I now weight 110lbs. Mind you for my age and height I should be at 135-145 lbs.

I'm scared because I'm at my 4th week and I havn't gained a pound and my stool continues to be loose and watery. Is this normal? Will I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm scheduled to go to work in 2 weeks but I feel I won't be ready. Is there anything I can do to help my situation? Please help

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:bigwave: Hi Rob, welcome! Yes you are having a normal post op symptoms. The Ileum is where most foods are absorbed and it takes awhile for the bowels to go back to normal. However loose bm is mainly what you may have indefinitely because of short bowel syndrome. The two times I had surgery I used Cholestryramine (Questran) helped me alot. Also when I started to eat "risky" food types, I would use digestive enzymes. Usually by the 6th week things start to heal. Rest is important and so is walking. Try to avoid Imodium, not a good practice.

Hope you are feeling better soon and avoid dairy at the moment. Bananas, applesauce and rice help. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Hi Rob, i had a similar experience until i was given Colestipol Hydrochloride (colestid) similar to Questran that Pen mentioned made a dramatic difference .

Hope that your on the mend soon.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Rob and welcome! I am glad you are recovering well from surgery, but I am sorry you are struggling with rushing to the bathroom. I have read several members who suffer from short bowel syndrome take psyllium husks. I am not saying that you have short bowel syndrome or that your symptoms will persist, but I thought I'd mention it as it could be helpful. Check out this thread on the topic.

I hope you are feeling 100% soon!

Hi Rob, I glad to hear you are recovering well. I had a similar surgery to you I was given immodium by my GP along with a powder called Questran which helps to slow things down and I can do a full day at work without having to run to the bathroom! maybe mention this to your doctor the next time you see him. You could also try eating foods that will help bulk your stools up, eating white bread,mash potato, Pasta this should also help putting on weight try not to eat and drink at the same time eat your meal and wait at least 30 mins before having a drink. Hope this helps a bit good luck let us know how things are going Bev x