02-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Creepy Lurker

Modulen

So, I'm about to go on Modulen for a while.

http://www.nestle.co.uk/Nutrition/He...ds/ModulenIBD/

Anyone else been on it? How did it go?

The thought of living without food for a few months is a bit daunting.
02-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Wiles

I have never tried Modulen, but I was on tube feedings with a different food replacement.

Completely quitting food was very hard for me. Every now and then I did cheat and eat when I shouldn't have.

Before I went on it I was malnourished and underweight, by the time I was done I was well nourished and a bit plump
In the end I was taken off of it. While I was healthier in some ways, my Crohn's was still active.
02-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Kev

My Support Groups:
Well, the website is based in the UK, anyone know if this is available from Nestle in north america? secondly, it's pretty hi in fat content 25%.. that's about 5 times the level I try to stay under each day. I can understand someone plumping up on this stuff. not sure what it would do if there's g/b or pancreas IBD involvement. I also point out (finally) that they claim it's clinically proven to give IBD remission. I'm a bit leery of companies making these claims.

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
02-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Mazen

I once asked my doctor about it and he didn't recommned it as it contained milk protein Casein which is hard to digest; it also has lots of sugar which is not particularly good for GI health ..... but I guess that's his opinion....

Last edited by Mazen; 02-11-2008 at 06:42 AM.
02-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Kev

My Support Groups:
Actually, his opinion makes sense. He doesn't stand to profit or lose by either a pro or con stance. Whereas, the 'clinical' studies of Nestle were probably paid for by 'Nestle'... hmmm, does that sound like a possible conflict of interest there???
02-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Creepy Lurker

Well, it turns out that the stuff isn't particularly useful in large bowel Crohn's so I'm just on a low residue diet at the moment. Looks like I'll probably have to have surgery in the near future. I'll be speaking to a surgeon next month.
02-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Jeff D.

I got a free trial at one point to try but when I looked at the stuff I didn't take it. I figured anything made my nestle couldn't possibly help me in my health.