• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice please

Hello. I've been on prednisone steroids for 10 days. 40mg, I am not sleeping at all. I feel like I am running a temperature. Sweating, burning hot feet. I have the bad shakes in my arms. I am so tired. All I want to do is eat for a quick energy boost. Any suggestions?

Ask your doctor for some sleeping pills to help you sleep, and some ativan for when you feel shakey. Its the only way I ever take higher doses of pred.

When are you taking the Prednisone?

I break mine into two 20 mg doses, as one big dose is too much at once.

I take the doses at 6.00 AM and 6.00 PM.

Dan

The sweating is "normal" at that dose, I am on 40 mg right now too. It's so weird though, it doesn't matter when I take my prednisone, I always start the sweating in the evening. I can be sitting down doing nothing, and start sweating like I just ran 5 miles!

I am really considering starting to taper myself. I was on a tapering dose (down to 15mg) when I had surgery. I didn't get antibiotics afterwards, just my zoloft and prednisone, and an antacid. I had written down all of my meds and doses like a good girl, but out of surgery I was back on 40mg of pred. I didn't question it at first, but now I'm wondering if the nurses profiled my meds from my previous hospital stay when I was on 40mg initially. No one said they were going to up my pred again. I wish I had thought to ask someone there.

Anyhoo, I have got to get off this stuff! I had a bad day yesterday, got a little ugly with my kids for no reason and then felt so awful I started crying. I hate the roller coaster emotions more than anything else.