• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B12 injections

b12 injections

I have been taking b12 injections for 20yrs due to strictured ileum. Prior to the b12 I had trouble with anemia. The shots fixed that and have had no problems with anemia since.

with modern improvements... anyone with damaged intestines taking b12 under the tongue, thru pills, etc that works for them?

thanks

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there welcome to the forum :bigwave:. I have been taking b12 shots for over 2 years now. I have almost 2ft out of intestine and there still isn't any better treatment than the shots. There are sublinguals under the tongue but most get washed out and you risk problems. If you are concerned either way , get your bloods checked for it. I never had anemia problems but short bowels after surgery prompted me. You need it for brain function and I need all the brain matter I got! :lol:

Are you on any meds at the moment? Glad you joined us.

Thanks for the reply.

curious about how often and what amount of b12 you take?

I inject myself, I can tell when I need it by the brain fog, so sometimes I go 3 weeks, sometimes 4. I should stick to the 3 weeks because I can really tell by the forth. My rx is for 2ml every 2 weeks... why do I go 3...well I sort of like to wait till I feel like I need it... plus, I am really tired of poking myself in the hips... so the longer or less frequent means less pokes :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have my shots done by the doctor once a month it is 1ml (I think ) My B12 was not that low, but I just had bloods done, and ESR inflammation but I get that result and my b12 and flu shot. My doctor wont let me do my own yet I did Humira injections. That is fine, this way I see him once a month.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi chirpy,

I have read some conflicting reports about the effectiveness of oral B12 in treating deficiencies caused by Ileal Crohn's. Some say it is effective for pernicious anaemia but not for diseases like Crohn's.

One of the factors that was a problem in studies is that Folate replacement can mask a B12 deficiency and confound results, therefore subjects taking a folate replacement were excluded. I would imagine this could lead to an under representation of Crohn's subjects.

So it is difficult to say if oral B12 would be a suitable replacement for IM injections. The other factor to consider is compliance, would you remember to take the tablets daily.

Dusty. :)

I have Crohn's and as soon as it was diagnosed my GI doctor tested my B12 level - it was very low (161), and undoubtedly contributed to the fatigue I experienced. I began B12 shots every week, and then monthly, and things got better as my B12 results climbed to 193.

Then my Dr. ran out of B12 serum for three weeks. That was a good thing, because it got me to do some research. I found the following medical article (only including an excerpt):

"The treatment with high oral doses of vitamin B12 thus constitutes a convenient and completely reliable maintenance therapy in pernicious anemia and other states of B12 deficiency, and is a fully acceptable alternative to the conventional method of vitamin B12 injections. This type of therapy (1000 μg B12 daily) was introduced into Sweden in 1964 and is now extensively used."

Why not give it a try? I tried 1,000mg of sublingual B12 tablets, had some problems with the inactive ingredients, and switched to 1,000mg of regular oral B12 tablets once a day.

Two months later -- my B12 was at 492 (!), my energy level was high, and I never went back to injections.

I had surgery in January 2011 and I have been on a B-12 shot once a month ever since. I inject myself in my stomach, I am not sure if it works, i still feel tired all the time.

P J, you may have anemia and/or a low level of B12 (which can cause anemia). You should not experience constant fatigue. Can you have your doctor check this? Also, you may want to talk with your doctor about where to give yourself the B12 injections. They are normally given in a large muscle, such as the thigh or buttocks.

Good luck!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I had surgery in January 2011 and I have been on a B-12 shot once a month ever since. I inject myself in my stomach, I am not sure if it works, i still feel tired all the time.
Did you do a series of loading doses before commencing your monthly injections?

When did you last have a level done?

Dusty. :)

^ I have been getting them weekly for the past 3 months (now im monthly). Is anemia what causes you to be tired and stuff? (I did a wikepdia search on it and it pretty much said im low in RBC's) But anyway, I have had a lot of trouble with short term memory lately. Like for an example, I had to re-do my password 3 times fro my cellphone account because I kept forgetting what I changed it to...is this classified as a brain fog?

I do have a low level of b-12 and I was anemic after my surgery. My blood count is better now. That was the main problem I was having. My dr recommended I inject my B-12 in my stomach. I used to inject my leg or arm but they said the stomach was the best place.

I have not had any loading doses, I have 8 more refills on my b-12, the. I have to see my dr again about doses.

b-12

I started to do b-12 injections about 2 years ago. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Euro-Asian studies treat b-12 at levels 500 and below, while the US docs treat only when it reach levels well below 200. Since you cannot overdose on b-12, i have convinced my primary doc to prescribe one shot every two weeks, which i self inject now in my stomach. If I wait longer the fatigue and numbness sets in.

I have lost 22 inches and have no intrinsic factor, which is key to absorption.

good luck

Hi,

This has been an interesting topic to read. I have had some concerns lately re: B12.
I have opted to take a pill daily. Give it some time, then get blood checked.

David

Co-Founder
I started to do b-12 injections about 2 years ago. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Euro-Asian studies treat b-12 at levels 500 and below, while the US docs treat only when it reach levels well below 200. Since you cannot overdose on b-12, i have convinced my primary doc to prescribe one shot every two weeks, which i self inject now in my stomach. If I wait longer the fatigue and numbness sets in.

I have lost 22 inches and have no intrinsic factor, which is key to absorption.

good luck
Indeed, and I believe they have it right with the 500. I have a feeling many here should be on B12 that are not which is frustrating. I also think that many here have low iron levels due to low B12 more than most other causes.

How did you determine you don't have any intrinsic factor. Did you take a Schilling Test? Do you think your lack of IF is due to IBD or something else?

Injections vs. pills

I had surgery in September where they removed 1 foot of my colon and 1.5 of my small intestines. My doctor then wrote me a prescription for B12 injections. I am not sure why a pill form won't work, he wouldn't explain either. I have really been feeling lousy lately and I am concerned it is because I haven't filled that script, I am awaiting a second opinion with another doctor for long term treatment of my Crohn's (not until January). Would the pill form not be absorbed correctly and that is why the injections?

bethr it sounds liek you have the same amount removed as I have. The way my Dr. described it is the portion of my bowel that would have absorbed the vitamin is no longer there.

I go for b12 shots every 2-6 weeks, depending on how I feel. If I slack off I have to build up again going every 2 weeks or so for a few, then I can go back to every 5-6 weeks or so. It's kind of a luxury the way I look at it, as I am able to walk into my Dr's office at anytime and they inject me. This allows me to keep in touch with her very frequently as even though its not an appointment she always asks how I am doing and if there is anything I need. This is my GP, not my GI doc.

my daughter is anemic but never tested for B12 which i will bring up at the next doctor appt which is tuesday. they always just give her iron supplements which dont work.

What is brain fog?
Also, does anyone experience headaches when their B12 is low?
She seems to have lots of headaches lately.

Thank you

David

Co-Founder
Anemia can cause headaches. But another common deficiency in people with Crohn's that can cause headaches is magnesium deficiency. But anyone with Crohn's, especially with ileal disease should absolutely have their B12 tested, no question.

Brain fog is when your brain just seems slow. For me, when I was really foggy, I'd have trouble recalling words, thinking of what to say, concentrating, my memory was impacted, and basically felt like my IQ dropped 30 points. I'm sure it's a bit different for everyone though.

Thanks so much David. I'll have to ask Leah is shes feeling brain fog. i will have them check her B12 Tuesday. she really has been feeling good except the headaches and fatigue, which i know the fatigue is due to being anemic.