• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New diagnosis

new diagnosis

hello!I am a 45 year old woman who has just been diagnosed with Crohns. I was very surprised to hear this diagnosis as although i had stomach pain and spent ALOT of time in the bathroom! I was not bleeding. I am so uneducated about this disease and have NO idea where to go from here! I am currently on a whole truckload of meds have no idea what to expect in the coming days,years, or months!

Astra

Hiya Karrie
and welcome

Remember we're all different, unique and do not display the same symptoms, I'm not a bleeder neither.
Tell us which meds you're on now. We also have a section on treatment, this will help you overcome any anxieties.
Glad you found us, try not to fret, we're all here to answer any questions you may have.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

thanks Joan! I am on , mezavant,and prednisone. I also have a few stomache ulcers for which i am on lansoprazole. dont know what i shouldnt eat,can i have a drink(alcohol), why do i still have the odd stomache ache while im on these meds???? so many questions!!! can i eat anything or not? why would i ever have to go to the hospital? I hear people talking about being admitted and i dont know why? extreme pain???? HELP!

Astra

Hiya Karrie

What is the dosage of Pred? How long have you been on it?
The food you eat really depends on what you can tolerate, I don't eat red meat for example.
When I was first diagnosed I kept a food journal, I don't do this now, I know it all off by heart!
When I have a lot of diarrhea I stick to a low residue diet, this gives the bowels a rest, reduces the diarrhea and can firm up the stools, in the short term.
I went to hospital last year for the first time, I was blocked. You would know about this pain, it is the most excruciating pain ever, worse than childbirth!
I couldn't stand, sit, or even speak with the pain!
One of the first indicators of a blockage is projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea, at the same time! And of course, the pain.
Did I mention how bad the pain was? ha ha
Don't worry Karrie, no need to go to hospital unless it's life threatening.
Google the low res diet and give it a go. Oh, and I have an occasional vodka, depending on how I feel
xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Karrie and welcome! I am sorry about your recent diagnosis. I didn't know what Crohn's was until my GI diagnosed me with it. It was a shock.

Diet is different for so many of us. As Joan suggested, a low res diet (toast, chicken, rice, mashed potatoes, crackers) is good to stick to when your Crohn's is acting up. However, when the disease is under control, some people can eat normally. But some things to be wary of are raw veggies & fruits, nuts, popcorn, corn and other things that are tough on the gut. You may want to keep a food journal. Record what you eat and any symptoms. This will help determine what are your safe and no-no foods.

Heya Karrie, you found the best place for info! I was a late bloomer too, also 45 when I got sick. Journaling is a really good way to narrow down those problem foods as Joan and Jill said. It will take time but it's worth the effort. Are you taking a calcium supplement? Vitamin D3 and magnesium will help your body absorb the calcium better. A must when taking prednisone. It will all come together for you. No matter what comes, you will find help here.
Annette

Hi and welcome to our unhealthy community! Hopefully the meds will bring a remission for you, but for now try to eat "safe" food and avoid alcohol. Tons of useful info I found here, where people are super kind and very understanding.

Hi Karrie, Hope I'm replying correctly. Like you I got dx last year at 47, but I may have had it since my 20's. A good case of Iritis, stomach pain and realizing my moms UC was hereditary, they got me in for a colonoscopy quickly. No bleeding here also.

The people on this site are great and can offer alot of advice. I had never taken a med before beside NSAIDs(bad), so it can be really scary and I'm still trying to figure things out.

Biggest thing to remember everyone's disease is a little different. Many of us have not been hospitalized(as of yet). Some get arthritis and eye inflammation and skin issues. Some get blockages. Others go into long remissions etc.

Prednisone really messed with my head and body. Hang in there. It's learning a curve.

Ask your doctors what you can and cannot have when they put you on a med(especially ask about alcohol). I tolerate white wine very well and love my gin and tonics, but I'm only on Asacol HD right now. I met with a nutritionist in my doctors office and she was helpful.

It can seem gloom and doom, but it takes a while to figure things out for yourself. Hang in there.

I find spring onions,salad,fruit ,strawberries marked my soul 21times in a day lost 14lbs in avery short space of time treat with caution.alcohol wise treat lager(beer)with caution hops and barley way dodgy.
I find fish,chicken and bizarrely for me homemade soup make sure the veggies are well cooked seem to be good for me.worth a pop all the best