• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie here.My story Post Surgery

Hi everyone, Thanks to Pen for directing me to the your story section, just a few lines to introduce myself.
I'm Derek 48 Dublin Ireland, Diagnosed Crohn's 1995, Had a rough time through the early years, guess getting diagnosed was the hardest, trying this drug not working, trying another, not working and so on, I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that.I had my share of Abscess and Fissures and Fistula's, Colonoscopy after Colonoscopy, sometimes i used to think the doctors were trying to justify their existence, don't mean that to sound disrespectful. The past three years have not only been hard for me but for my wife and children, I've been a prisoner in my own home from not been able to leave the bathroom, that's something else I'm sure a lot of you can relate to, trying to keep this as short as possible, April-May of this year (2011) i had a double flare up, went through the usual, in patient on IV Steroids, the the endless list of Meds that go along with it, got out of hospital after ten days, this time i had the "Wonder Drug" to take home with me "HUMIRA" well sadly it didn't do any wonders for me, so the decision was made that I'd go for surgery, Sept 13Th 2011, after two cancellations i finally went for surgery, had 60% of my large bowel taken away, the also took away my back passage and it's contents, stitched it up, and fitted me with a colostomy, I'm seven weeks today over the surgery and with my hand on my heart I've never felt so much post surgery pain in my life, time has moved on and i do feel somewhat better, albeit after juggling the dosage of Meds so that i could communicate with people and not spend all my days sleeping. I think i should stop now :eek:) I hope someone can relate to my story and if i can answer any questions about the surgery i had I'll be only too happy to oblige. For now, god bless you all and take care.

Derek

Diagnosed Crohn's 1995
Colo Rectal Surgery Sept 13th 2011
Meds Imuran 100mg
MST 10mg BD
Oxynorm 10mg PRN

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI Derek :bigwave: YOU made it!! :banana: Most of all your story almost mirrors mine. I used to get mad to when I got the run around but it is very hard for some to get a diagnosis and before long, sometimes it is almost to late to save anything. I had 2 separate resections and I am trying to avoid a 3rd cause I never got any relief from any meds since my last surgery. Having supportive family members do help alot and now you have us of course. So sorry you had to end up here but sharing your opinions with others and your experiences helps us all greatly. A few people here from Dublin, they will be along to greet you too! Welcome aboard!

Thank you

Hi Pen, what a wonderful welcome, for that i thank you, nice to hear that some fellow Dubs are here, I'll be logging in as often as i can, you see because the took away the back passage i can't sit down for long periods, and let me tell you i miss my computer but i can't stand for too long either, (If i were a horse they'd shoot me) :) Again many thanks and god bless you.

Derek

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Haha great to see a sense of humour. I have some Irish background but only a 3rd. Technically a mutt:ylol2:

You will fit in here nicely!

Hi Derek and welcome! I had surgery to remove the whole of my colon and stitch my bum up 3 and half weeks ago, so I know how you feel! Sitting down isn't too bad now but standing is very painful! I love life with my ileostomy though. Having a bag is much better than I thought it would be.

You'd be very welcome in the stoma sub forum to share your experiences with your new stoma :)

Hi Michelle and thank you.
As I'm only new around here and not fully familiar with the site i shall be taking a trip to see what advice i can get on stoma care, many thanks for the kindest welcome.

Derek

Hello Derek and welcome to the forum..:)
Fellow Dub here....recently diagnosed at 47 years...:)
Still getting my head around everything...
I hope you are starting to feel better now.
Take care..