• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A bit nervous

Hi Peeps of all experience levels!

I have been sick for the past 6 years and have had all sorts of things done (including surgery) to get me better... However I am still having days where I just throw up for no reason, go to the toilet in excess of 10 times.. I just recently saw a Locum Dr who believes I have Crohn's disease and now I am going in for an endoscopy and colonoscopy.

I am a little bit nervous about the prep and the fact that I have the day off after it but not before...

I will be taking Klean-Prep and have read all your stories on that... Not looking forward to it.

Any words of wisdom would be totally appreciated!

Jessi

Hi Chellet, and welcome!
I know about the nervousness you're feeling. I was in that boat just 6 1/2 months ago. The prep is the hard part.
Is there any way you can get that day off? You'll be in the bathroom rather than working anyway. Maybe they'll send you home once they realize it.
Words of wisdom, you ask? :) Sorry, I'm not all that wise. But good luck. :hug:

Hello Chellet and welcome...:)
I had my last meal about 3.00pm the day before my colonoscopy and started taking my prep about 4pm.....So could start work and get off early..maybe...
The very best of luck with the prep and the colonoscopy...

Hey Chellet,

I've lost count of how many lf these i've had, i've had 3 this year and i'm still looking for those words of wisdom. I think it's something we all just gotta grin and bear.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

JK

Hello. I had a colonoscopy for the first time this year and I had no idea what an ordeal the prep would be, so I wish you luck but I honestly don't think anybody could work while they're drinking the stuff and rushing to the toilet constantly. Even forcing the prep down is so much harder than you could imagine, and it seems to go on forever.

My husband also had a colonoscopy last year and he really wanted to go to work, but once we had read people's experiences of prep on the internet he realised it would be impossible, and certainly didn't regret the decision to take the day off, as he ended up practically living in the toilet.

So it seems to me, with my admittedly limited knowledge of the subject, that you will be feeling awful at both ends and you will probably have to go home pretty quick, as another poster has pointed out.

Best wishes for the colonoscopy.

My voice of wisdom is that eat very lightly about week before the prep. I don't eat nothing on day before the prep and that's the way i can make it trough as little drinking as possiple. That stuff is just horrible, and you just have to get it down and STAY down.

I send youvirtual-hug and lots of courage :dance:

Two days before I do a bowel prep, I eat lightly and drink lots of fluids. One day before the prep, I drink fluids rather than eat. The prep goes faster and easier when the intestines are less full.

best wishes.

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the support, I really appreciate it!

I have managed the day off work, and i only had a light brekky this morning.

I have got down 1.5L of Klean-Prep, so we're

Peices of advice-
1) take the day off work
2) start drinking it earlier(a little past noon so you can eat a light lunch)
3) Drink a glass of prep then drink a glass of clear liquid, broth ect
4) don't drink anything orange or red(my doc actually told me this since it's happened before...makes them think your dieing lol) and no dark liquids only liquids you can see through
5) drink as much as possible as quick as possible to get everything out of your system as soon as possible
6) basically...good luck lol

Not yet, it's 7am here and just about to start my 2nd round of prep... My procedure isn't till 3.30pm so it's a wee while away! But just to make life fun I have the worst cold!

Jessi

Oh, I'm so sorry about the nasty cold that you've got. I hope you're still doing alright. How's the taste of the prep you're using?

It's not so much the taste, it's the slightly dense texture that's bothering me the most! And the toilet stops are so annoying, but thank goodness I haven't had pain or burning... So I feel pretty lucky. Just a bit nervous about the actual proceedure. I'm allergic to the plastic bit of the drip that they put in your hand and any sort of adhesive on my skin... I am more worried about that :)

What did you eat after? I am starving do I want something filling!

Jessi

Maybe ask them to use latex-free tape and catheter for your drip. Maybe that's your problem??? A lot of people around this forum have a latex allergy. It's not uncommon.

I don't remember what I ate afterwards, but honestly, it could've been dirt and be delicious ~ just because dirt isn't liquid!!!

Don't worry about the procedure. That part's usually a cake-walk.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck, sweetie. :hug:

So I am in the ward now, I was completely knocked out during the whole thing. I dont have crohn's or uc but they have taken biopsies as they found gastritis and something else that I can't read! So I have to wait 2 weeks to talk to the dr to see what is going on.

Am a bit disappointed as now they still don't know what is wrong... It's exhausting...

It's good you've got the procedure over and done with. I gather from this forum that people often don't get a diagnosis on the day of the colonoscopy (I waited a couple of weeks myself but was prepared for the wait because I'd already been forewarned here), but the time will soon pass and maybe you'll be able to decipher that handwriting in the meantime! Let's hope you turn out to have something milder than Crohns or UC that is curable, but either way, that fortnight will soon pass and you should be on the way to getting treated.

Sounds like you're recovering well from the colonoscopy as you're managing to post on the forum already, so maybe you can go home soon and try to enjoy the rest of your day off work and also tomorrow, as I think you said you booked that off too? All the best.

Jessi

Glad it's over and went well. Like Lizzie said, though, they may not have been able to find the CD or UC, but there are other tests that could tell for sure. I hope that it's something easy to manage or cure.

Have you eaten anything delicious yet?

Congratulations Chellet you did it!

Now that your system is CLEAN, be conscious about what you eat after, maybe keeping a journal. When you notice 'something unusual', it may be linked to a food or additive in the food. You will be able to closely monitor your system and how it reacts since you are starting CLEAN.

keep us updated.
jeffrey