• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In the middle of prep...I find this website

I'm doing a prep today for yet another colonoscopy tomorrow. I'm terribly nauseous so I googled to see if I could take zofran before tomorrow's procedure & I discovered this site!

I'm 28 and have a long history of medical problems. At 22, I had a hysterectomy for adenomyosis and endometriosis, 2 years later I had my ovaries removed also. Several years ago, I began having random episodes of horrible vomitting, diarhea, and a lot of blood in my stool. Several ER trips & tests later and they confirmed ischemic colitis. I went through lots of testing to attempt to discover the cause of the ischemia and nothing was ever found...until the last episode. My GI believes I am having intussesception and I've recently gone through several tests to try to find the lead point of it. The latest test, a capsule endoscopy, they founds lots of evidence to support a chron's diagnosis. Tomorrow I'm having another colonoscopy to attempt to get biopsy results to prove chron's.

I'm perplexed, and no one has yet to be able to explain, is there a relationship between the ischemic colitis, intussusception, and chron's? Are there others here who have all 3 of those conditions?

I'm looking forward to coming here for advice and support! Thanks!

Welcome! I cannot answer your question, but wanted to mention I take Zofran before every prep. I still get really nauseous, but I'm able to keep it down.

Jessi

Welcome Firefly! I'm so happy you stumbled upon us. This really is a great forum. We're like a family here. I have no idea about relationships between the different diseases as I am kinda new to this myself. But I think someone with a theory on that could come along shortly. :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I also can't offer any advice on a correlation between ischemic colitis, intussusception, and crohn's. But I wanted to wish you luck tomorrow with your scope. I hope you will get the answers you seek.

Let us know how it goes!

Hello firefly and welcome to this great community...:)
Hope all goes well for you today.....and tomorrow..
Take care..

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

My GUESS is that if you end up with a Crohn's Disease diagnosis, you never had ischemic colitis, you had a misdiagnosis. And the endometriosis? That may have been Crohn's too. As for the intussesception, I'd be curious why your GI thinks that's what you're experiencing.

Why did you have your ovaries removed? I sure hope it wasn't because they found lesions. From the above link:

In rare instances, Crohn's disease is a cause of granulomatous lesions involving the fallopian tubes or the ovaries, usually by direct extension of the inflammatory process from the bowel. These lesions commonly present with unilateral pelvic pain or a pelvic mass, and may masquerade as pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, active intestinal inflammation, appendicitis, diverticulitis or primary ovarian pathology. The diagnosis of Crohn's disease should be considered when a patient presents with an adnexal mass. Computed tomographic scanning with oral contrast medium will demonstrate a thickened abnormal ileum, and barium contrast studies will document primary bowel pathology. Extensive adnexal disease may also impair fertility.
All my best to you. Please keep us updated as to what they find. We're here for you anytime!

Hi there and welcome :)

My GUESS is that if you end up with a Crohn's Disease diagnosis, you never had ischemic colitis, you had a misdiagnosis. And the endometriosis? ]That may have been Crohn's too. As for the intussesception, I'd be curious why your GI thinks that's what you're experiencing.

Why did you have your ovaries removed? I sure hope it wasn't because they found lesions. From the above link:

All my best to you. Please keep us updated as to what they find. We're here for you anytime!
I had considered that as well....that there's no way I have all these unrelated (or somehow related) conditions independently. However, the ischemic colitis was confirmed by biopsy TWICE and the slides of the pathology were taken to University of Michigan hospital to be analyzed AGAIN. So, two different times and 2 different pathologists confirmed ischemic colitis.

As for the hysterectomy, again, pathology confirmed endometriosis & adenomyosis. I also had PCOS, lots & lots of cysts visable via an u/s, previous surgerys to remove the cysts were able to confirm they were in fact cysts. So....there's lots to support all the independent diagnosis.

The intussesception still remains an educated guess based on the following. Firstly, they have ruled out most/all common causes of ischemic colitis and I do not present with any of the typical conditions. Secondly, the last 2 episodes of ischemic colitis...I couldn't decide which hurt more, my intestines or my chest. I was laying on the floor, after just having passed out, woke up and told my husband to get me heartburn meds. The pain from the heartburn was extreme. The GI believes those 2 facts make it probably that it's an intussesception and GI fluids were forced up, giving me the horrible heartburn that lasted for days.

Here's the info from yesterday's colonoscopy. "The colonoscopy was difficult due to significant looping."..."Patchy mild inflammation characterized by congestion (edema), erosions, erythema and friability was found in the distal ileum." There are then 2 pictures, one that shows terminal illeum "normal" and another that shows terminal illeum "inflammation". Awaiting pathology....

Anyone care to guess? Translate?