• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Morning - Newbie in Pain!

G

Guts Ache

Wow, theres a forum for everything these days!! :eek2:

Good morning all, I'm Mike. I was diagnosed in October/November last year with crohns. Came about following suspected apendicitis. Taken into hospital and had my appendix taken out (lovely :( ) and whilst I was opened up the surgeon saw something he wasn't happy with, took a biopsy and put me back together. I was in hospital for a week having various tests, blood tests and generally poked and prodded about. After 3 weeks recuperating at home I went in for a barium meal :)eek: :eek: :eek2: ), gross and had it officially confirmed.

I was prescribed steroids at first which seemed to help and am now on Pentasa granules which are repulsive!!!

The symptoms I have I've had for about 6 years on and off so I'm somewhat annoyed its taken so long to diagnose it officially. During those six years I've had telescopes inserted, doctors say I had ulcers etc. In some ways its a relief now to know what the problem is and get the right treatment but just a shame its taken so long to get to this point.

Anyways thats me. :)

Welcome, yeah, forums for it all. This is my stand in for an in-person support group, since the nearest is so far away.

Knowing answers can help, the unknown is often a horrible element to the worrying.

Kev

Hi Mike... Welcome to the forum. What do you think, better late than never... Anyway, I see this site as more than a stand in for a local support group, and no disrespect meant to Benson.. First, you get to meet a world class group.. as IBD is no respector of borders... the diversity of folks, backgrounds, etc., is really nice.
And, it provides a possibility that new developments in treatment in one country don't get lost in the shuffle. Literally. I found the treatment that I use currently (and it seems to be working, all the better) thru this site in a Journal from the US... Took 3 months to convince my GI to trial it, and she may never have heard of it, much less agreed to it... if, welll, if it hadn't been for the info each of us stumble upon and bring to the 'crohns collective' here. Anyway, enuff about me. Once again welcome... pull up a toilet seat and sit down, OK?

no offense taken Kev, I guess I just meant that I find the support I'd get from a physical gathering, here...

'course I find more than just that in the input everyone offers too...we can be here 24/7 and get the input or support we seek. One thing of great benefit to keep in mind is the fact that all the discussions are archived...we can pull up a discussion from year ago or from yesterday...

Personally I had a hard time building myself up to join any sort of support system, I have the hardest time with this disease, and wanted to do as little with it as possible, and unfortunately that meant that I avoided for 16 months any sort of support, as that made me think about the disease more than I already was. I encourage any lurkers to join as I did, I hate thinking about the disease as it already consumes me enough without much option, but this support system is actually a great help.

Kev

Glad no offense was taken. THERE illustrates one of the down sides to using a net or web based group. The written word CAN be so easily mis-interpreted, since there is no inflection, no tone of voice, no smiling face or body language to get across what one really intends. But Benson raised another GREAT point. I wouldn't have been able when I was 1st diagnosed to go to a 'public' support group. Found it hard enuff to come here... think initially I was in a state of 'denial'... like that going to a group meant I was admitting to myself I had this.. Had to face the harsh reality.. I do have this. Ignoring it, pretending I didn't need any help WASN'T going to change that. You can't wish it away.

Past that stage now. Also past the 'what did I do to deserve this' or mores to the point 'what did I do WRONG to deserve this' phase, thanks primarily to the fine folks I met on here. Forced me to the realization that no one deserves it, just that " _ _ it Happens!" I know I could go public now, thanks to this place.

Think I will look around for a 'public' support group. This place is nice, but the parties are a bit of a downer. No one ever shows up. The only thing I'm at all concerned about is how public IBD support groups settle issues internally. Do they vote... and if so, how? Like, is it two farts for yes, three for no? Couldn't go with one fart meaning yea or nay.. might end up voting something or one in by accident... and we wouldn't want that to happen. Just ask our US members

:lol:

I hope you keep coming here Kev, you make it all better sometimes with your humor (and yes I'm a US member, damn Chad's).