• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Husband and wife

About five years ago my husband was in Djibouti Africa when he had to have emergency surgery to have half of his colon removed because of c-diff. When they sent him back to the states after having the surgery he got c-diff again in the hospital. They dont know how he got c-diff either time. About one year later I got sick and the doctors told me i have crohn's disease. I am someone that never gets sick and all of a sudden I was really sick. Now 4 years later when going to the doctor for my crohns disease my doctor told me I have PSC (primary sclerosing cholangitis). It seem weird that my husband got an intestinal disease and now I have one. I am trying to figure out if somehow I could have gotten something from him that caused me to get sick. Dont know if any of these disease could be related.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. Yes, as far as what I have read, a GI infection could lead to Crohn's. Considering the circumstances (trip to Africa, c-diff), I don't think it would be unreasonable to think it is the cause of your Crohn's.

How have you been managing? Are you taking any medication? How is your husband doing?

Jessi

Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I'm curious about contagion, too. My hubby's x-wife has had a life-time of bowel probs. He started having gut probs after marrying her, and now, me... I'm the only that has been diagnosed out of the 3 of us, but it is strange. I hope someday soon they can discover what it is that's making us so sick. Then maybe a cure will come along.

In the meantime, make yourself at home here. You will find lots of support here. :hug:
Do you have your PSC under control? It's a common problem for people with IBD.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome. I would only be guessing as to an answer to your question but I wanted to take a quick minute and welcome you. Are you on any meds right now? How are you feeling?

All my best to you :)