• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fiber ??

I

Infamous

fiber ??

i was told by my nutritionist that i needed to eat more things with high fiber, but i have also been told that fiber can cause flare ups..

just wanted other opinions as i just have found out i have crohn's and dont know much about it.

Thank you.

Most people on Crohn's are on a low fiber diet since the fiber can irritate the intestinal tract.

I seem to be able to eat anything with no problems, so I pretty much do. I suppose you have to try it out and see if it bothers you. If it does, then you may want to avoid the fiber. No point in making things worse.

Dan

If you have constipation then eat lot of fiber, if you can tolerate it without feeling sick, but if you have diarrhea, I always spell that wrong, then try to stay away. Fiber is good for keeping things moving. It has also been proven that fiber helps to keep away colon cancer so I don't know how bad it could be for your intestines. Don't take me 100% though because I am in a sleep deprived state right now. I'll check more on it tomorrow in my college journal I took last semester.

I

Infamous

ah thank you very much as of right now and since i have been diagnosed have had no problem or symptoms at all.

its been basicly my doctors telling me i have it, and me having to wake up everymorning and take medicine, besides that my life has been normal

Thats great that it hasn't interfeared much with your life.

I have to say I like the car. Is it yours? I'm thinking about buying a golf as my first car.

I

Infamous

no actually my cousins, i took the pic tho

i got a jetta, v.w. really nice car even tho parts if needed are expensive

Yeah, unfortunately trial and error is the best (and virtually only) way to go....if you're symptom free (that's awesome), then there's a good chance you'll be fine with eating a good amount of fiber. In remission (which you could be in, where you're symptom free), I ate fiber freely without issues.

Kev

Think the amount of fibre DEPENDS on the current situation. If inflammation is out of control, then passing fibre thru the area would only irritate it. If things are quiet at the moment, and one is in remission; then experimenting by adding a little to ones diet SHOULD'T do much harm. I have, on rare occasion, fought constipation by taking a mild, liquid soluble fibre recommended by my GI, in a glass of water. It solves the constipation short term; and yet doesnt' stay. constipation MAY be a sign from your body that you need to add more fibre.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
There are some soluble fibre aspects in foods. My dietitian told me as an example Lentils have soluble fibre but to watch I only have small amounts.

Just a thought and maybe one worth looking at as it seems it has less of an impact than insoluble fibre and may do the trick I guess...

yes, I notice a slight difference in the fiber between the two, and one sometimes even helps....the soluble like in a burrito Vs. the rough insoluble like in peanuts....if I'm doing a little better (no blood, closer to remission) a little fiber seems to help "bind" things.