• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flaring while on humira

flaring while on humira

i just discovered this forum tonight, in between trips to the washroom. my crohn's, dignosed in 1995 after 3-4 years of misdiagnosis, is flaring BIG TIME. well, it WAS a minor flare...but there was alot of bleeding involved and my doctor felt the best stance was an agressive one, so i began Humira...which would be fine, but this fall the flare of all flares has set in....
has anyone else been on Humira and flared badly?
i'm really scared...

it stopped the majority of the bleeding...but it did nothing to help with the diarrhea, which has been liquid and anywhere from 15+ times a day...
i broke several bones in my foot in october, so they are waiting to hit me with prednisone...

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Is it the only crohns med you are on? Beth is our foremost authority on Humira and she gets it weekly now. You may want to ask your question in the Humira club in the Treatment section. She may be able to give you better advice.

i take the humira weekly (bumped up from every other week)...i was injecting methotrexate, but i had a nasty, nasty reaction to that, so now take that orally (weekly as well)
thanks for the contact...i will check out the humira club!
my doctor was so sure that the Humira would be the answer to all my problems...same as he thought for the remicade...i worry (which is a bad thing for us crohn's people to do!), because the humira is the last big gun my doctor has...some days, when the pain is real bad, i am feeling a little hopeless and scared...

Someone called :) As much as I'd like to say Humira is the complete miracle, sadly it isn't. Some people it doesn't work for. Others really need surgery. It does sound like you should determine exactly what is going on, so further tests should be your port of call: colonoscopy and small bowel follow through. It may be surgery is your best bet, concomitant MTX is seriously heavy guns, and then stay on Humira afterwards to keep further trouble at bay.

Good luck with it, and your foot did you break the Lisfranc? - I did back in March, damage to your feet is no fun at all. Hope it recovers okay.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry to hear your are still struggling with D while on Humira. Hopefully, once that foot heals, a course of pred with get things under control fast and allow Humira to work better.

I sure hope you feel better soon! Hang in there!

PsychoJane

I verdure, I am living pretty much the same as you are right now.... I don't have much to add to your situation as I am just starting with the MTX this week and weekly humira too. I do hope it is going to work, though, I do know that there is an annoying reality with anti-tnf and it does not concern everyone. Some of us develop anti-drug antibodies which cause the treatment to fail. Our immune system seems to be way off (shrug). I'm not sure if they allow cimzia in Canada yet or if it is still in trial. That would be another possibility for you. I have a question for you as far as MTX goes. Did you start it prior the beginning of your Humira or later in the process?
Here is a link for you. Sometimes, knowing that something else exist helps me with the anxiety. They are recruiting in Victoria and Abbotsford (I saw you are in BC). http://www.gsk-clinicalstudyregiste...7D-4519-AE97-0B338AEB0A37&compound=GSK1605786

I hope you get to feel better soon and have your mind relieved of that stress of unknown. I share the feeling...

I take Humaria and still been flaring :-( blah they put me on predisone and I can tell a big difference. I still do Humaria and low dose of 5mg of pred. Hope that helps and hope u feel better soon :-(