• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yoga question

I went to my very first yoga class tonight! I enjoyed it, but while I was exercising I noticed my hands and feet were getting more tingly and went numb several times. I am being investigated for nerve damage, the neurologist thinks it's post viral peripheral neuropathy. But I was wondering is the fact it got worse during yoga a good sign or a bad one? Meaning is it something I should push through in order to see improvement (like my muscles are aching now, but I know that means I've worked hard) or is it a sign that I did too much and could possibly worsen any damage? Any thoughts?

Ps yes, David, my b12 levels have been tested! :p

That's a tricky question. The nerve problems could be from an autoimmune condition, vitamin deficiency, or else they could be entrapment issues from swollen (inflamed) ligaments or tendons etc. Hopefully your doctor will identify the cause.
The tingling and numbness in hands and feet are the first signs of possible p. neuropathy, and although exercise/yoga is very useful in strengthening muscles for better control, and improving blood flow, you want to be careful not to aggravate the nerves.
So, although I might recommend yoga, I would be very gentle and careful. A normal vigorous class may be too much for you to start with. (I taught Therapy Yoga for a decade and found a gentle, slow start the way to go with injuries.)
Good luck with the diagnosis and healing.

I tend to be conservative with injury, hence my caution on 'general' classes.There will be some great Yoga poses/sequences for you once you know better what your condition may be. Even simply threading your fingers through your toes and gently moving each joint is nice! Sometimes those general classes move too quickly, and there can be a sort of peer pressure that develops in the group.... if you know what I mean. They're fine if you are in fair health.
Massage therapy is very useful too.
(David had a Yoga routine for major joints if I recall, on another thread. I had a quick look at it and it seemed nice and gentle.)
Hope all goes well.

David

Co-Founder
Have you had your v... oh.

;)

I might be able to argue that some tingling would be good, but I can't think of any ways that numbness is. I would suggest:

1. Discuss this with your neurologist as you mentioned.
2. I agree with handle that you may want to start gentle. Try the 20 minute sequence here for a month if it calls to you at all. It is exactly what I would suggest if someone like you came to me.

Good luck!

*hugs*