• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fed up and i want answers!

Hi,
2 years ago i started to develop very bad periods of diarhea. It happened every day without showing any signs of stopping. I went to the doctors and they told me to try and cut out different food groups etc. Anouther problem i have is seriously painful periods, to the point where im in bed for 5 days a month and i had ultrasound for that and nothing showed up. Over the 2 years the stomach pains have become worse and worse and the other day i saw blood on the toilet paper, and obviously i freaked out! So i did some research online and found that their could be connetion between my periods and the stomach ache. And i generally feel tired and worn out and i seem to have lost any strength i may have mad before. I also feel ill alot in the evening, likei feel hot and have a mild sore throat. I also get rashes across my hands and down the front of my thighs. What i found was crohns disease. I spoke to my parents about what was happening (i dont live near them so on the phone) and it turns out my dads dad died of bowel disease at 36 and he had had crohns disease. DOUBLE FREAKED OUT. So i got a doctors appointment which i had this morning. And once i told him basically what ive just typed he said we will refer you straight to the gastro somebody or other at the hospital.
In a way i am desperate to just find out what it is, but i am also terrified of what they will find. Can anybody tell me what to expect from my first gastro visit??
Im not normally one to worry but now i just cant get rid of that sick feeling of anxiety. Its been so long of doctors telling me its probs this and that, so at least im finally getting to the next stage.
Thankyou for taking the time to read this!!
jo

I had D for a year before I was referred to a GI doctor. They will probably schedule a colonoscopy, small bowel series and a CT scan to see what they find. I asked for medication before I started all of the testing, and that seemed to help get my through until I was diagnosed. Good luck to you!

It will all be fine. You will probably give and blood and stool sample and schedule a colonoscopy in a few days to a week. If you blood and stool don't have answers, then you will have your procedure. The colonoscopy itself is fine, you will be sleeping. But drinking the junk ahead of time is the bad part. You will probably feel a little worn out after due to the cleaning out of your system. Just take a deep breath and don't worry. It will all work out.
Keep us updated.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

I feel a bit better now ive read a few things about colonoscopy etc. Though i have to say the bit that most worries me is the being put to sleep part...for some reason that to me is the scary part. But maybe id change my mind about that if i found out what a colonoscopy actually felt like.

The doctor said he could give me meds now but i refused, because id rather no what it is first. But from reading about it seems keeping a safe diet (as in avoiding the foods on the high risk list) might help me out for now.

I read on a few websites aimed at just general stomach discomfort (as opposed to crohns) which said that exercise can help aswell. Does anyone no if this is true in terms of crohns or IBD? (as in has it helped you? )

Thanks again
Jo

Jessi

Hi Scarlet! Welcome to the forum. I understand your anxiety. I think all of us probably do. But, like Brian said, the appointment will be fine. It's a hard thing to be on the road to an answer. Learning what's wrong is half the battle.

I'm sorry about your grandfather's disease scaring you. He probably wasn't being treated properly. Once you know what's wrong, treatment will come. Crohn's isn't a death sentence, and we're all here for you for support. :hug:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Scarlet! Everyone else has given some great advice. I'd also suggest writing down your symptoms and questions so you don't forget anything. In addition, bring someone with you. Your head will be spinning, and it is helpful to have a second set of ears.

You mentioned your main issues are bad D and painful periods. Have you talked to your doctor about endometriosis?

I had the same thought as Jill. That screams of endometriosis to me. Could be Crohn's, too. I have both. But endo can attach to the bowel and cause all kinds of problems. I take continuous birth control (never take the placebo week) and haven't had a period in 2-3 years. It makes life so much easier.