• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why are our Favourate foods always the worst for you..??

S

smellybum

Most of my Favourite foods tend to have the worst reactions with me......Biscuits are murder for me.... Digestives...Rich Teas....hob nobs.... chocy ones....plain ones.... oaty ones...... they all seem to have liquid properties once they enter my mouth.... cereals.... My favourite... Kellogs Crunchy nut cornflakes are heaven to eat [used to eat a box in a sitting]..[might explain the crohns now that i think of it]but pure hell going out the other end......Coffee too is a complete no no ......can anybody tolerate their favourite bikky or bowl of cereal or cuppa... or are we destined to live a life of bread and water...??:voodoo:

Seems most of my tasty foods are off limits in a flare, but as for yours, some of them I don't know what they are, guess I'm not Irish enough:)

I love roasted and salted peanuts in the shell, one of my fav foods on the planet, but we know that's one of the worst things for IBD. I also love salads, fried foods (fries, onion blossums/rings, chicken fingers, Doritos, nachos), burgers (most are too fatty for a flare, and the loaded veggies I want on it aren't good either)...as far as healthy foods I can't eat though there's plenty there too, other than salads, I love raw carrots, brocoli, pears, oranges, kiwi, strawberries...and I'm off limits with dairy, which includes a ton too.

Anyone else have peanut butter as a no no food? I'm fairly certain my version of Crohns chose it as one of the worst foods, as I have strong evidence that it could have initiated both my flare ups. I LOVE peanut butter. Also I'm certain spicy foods (which I love too) are off limits, I love Flammin' Hot Cheatos with a passion but they wreak havoc on my bowels if I eat 'em.

This is depressing thinking about all the condemned food...well I can say that the foods we ARE able to eat I start to get sick of...even if they're tasty... rice and crackers (wheat, low fiber) are some of my most accepted foods, as well as juice and water, but I get sick of living off that. It can't be healthy to go months without much veggies or variety, stupid disease....I never thought high fiber/veggie heavy diets would conflict with the body...

I'm immuno-suppressed as it is and not getting a full spectrum of nutrients ain't gonna help:ymad:

My favorite drink is off limits. I used to drink pots of coffee a day. May have helped to bring on my Crohn's episodes. I can now drink it in moderation again, but I do not dare drink it like I used to.

I guess I am lucky since my banned food list is rather short. Onions and milk. And I do not like milk much anyway.

Dan

you're so right - a lot of my fave things are either off limits now, or i give into temptation and suffer later. i used to hate green veg, and only ate mushrooms or sweetcorn. both of those give me gripes now, so i've learned to tolerate brocolli, cabbage etc. i also used to love tinned pineapple - another no-no now. and nuts, of all kinds - cant give them up completely so i nibble in moderation now :D funnily enough tho, smooth low fat peanut butter suits me fine.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hi Benson,

Have you thought with the Cheetos it might be the Maize? Just wondering out loud here as many of us seem to have a problem with corn/maize....

I found maize is in alot of the gluten flour mixes and even buckwheat pancake mix so have to be very specific and read the ingredients of everything as it really plays havoc with me I have discovered!

Just a thought..

For me anything with gluten, dairy and salicylate seems to trigger my gut, my skin and my asthma and usually will do it within mins to an hour.

My favourites are fish in batter, curry, crisps, chocolate and things like cheese, TOAST mmmmmmmm with butter, cant have any of it now. In fact am back on my flippin elemental again as of yesterday groan..

Have been drooling at your posts lol ;-) Poor ole tum wont let me have anything yet though so will behave..

My weakness is spicy food. I used to be a thai chef and I can rarely beg a restaurant to make my food even hot enough to be acceptable to me. If I could I'd eat a meal every day hot enough to cause most people to vomit. In fact, I did that and more while I was working there. My wife and I managed a thai restaurant and worked 6 days a week 12 hours per day. I ate all my meals there and with the ingredients at hand I couldn't help myself. Now I rarely get any spicy food though. I never do the grocery shopping alone and my wife won't let me get anything I need.

to answer Soupdragon (a little late I know), I'm fairly certain corn is bad for my bowels, as regular cheetos will do some damage too, but the flammin' hot is levels above that damage...the flammin' hot chips by Lays does that too. Corn is in so many tasty snacks and cereals....

Not all food that I liked alot was bad, I really liked bread. And I mean I liked whole wheat rolls and oatmeal. I liked chicken and potatoes. Sometimes you think back whether you were always eating worse than everyone else and maybe that caused it. Though I really do not think I did.

K

karl

i'm new to all of this, i've only been diagnosed for 3 months. so, i don't know what foods are off limit to me. its odd because i usually try to stick by the crohns diet of no spicy/acidic/fiber etc. however, i will cheat occasionally and see no ill effects

but then when i stick to the crohns diet, out of the blue i will flare up for no reason. i'm not convinced that food plays a huge role in my flareups. only time will tell

Kev

I think there always exists some confusion over an IBD diet AND 'trigger' foods. It stems from most folks assuming these are synomymous terms. Individuals seem to have their own distinct trigger foods.. those that cause fairly immediate issues.
Keeping a food diary will help folks pinpoint which ones apply to them. An IBD diet is a different matter... it just educates folks on which foods are 'more' likely to give them problems.... some immediately, some over the long term. Like, if you didn't have IBD, but had a family history of heart disease.. a dietician could tell you what foods to avoid, what foods to limit, and what foods to eat, so you have the best long term outlook. So, an IBD diet will give your GI tract its best shot at not facing additional stresses... AND some very stringent diets may alleviate, some claim eliminate symptoms. Look at the claims of the SCD diet.

C

coachvee

karl said:
i'm new to all of this, i've only been diagnosed for 3 months. so, i don't know what foods are off limit to me. its odd because i usually try to stick by the crohns diet of no spicy/acidic/fiber etc. however, i will cheat occasionally and see no ill effects

but then when i stick to the crohns diet, out of the blue i will flare up for no reason. i'm not convinced that food plays a huge role in my flareups. only time will tell
I must say that after 2 years I would have to agree with this. I have tried various combinations and honestly the effect of the food seems to vary depending on how I am. When I was taking my steroid course (started off with 30mg of prednisolone), they also recommended I go steady on the fibre - but what happened - I got a bit constipated! (what the heck is that all about?) So I ended up eating cereals like bran flakes, etc... probably the worst thing ever for anyone with Crohn's normally... now that Im off the steroids I'm scared to touch them...

One of my favourite foods is definitely bread. I don't think this triggers me, considering I have eaten it during the good times and the bad times. Even if it did.. I don't really know how I'd be able to live if I couldn't eat bread. Sad I know!

Kev

I loooovvvvee bread. Big, dark, heavy grained, fibre rich breads. Hate white bread with a passion. My nutritionist wanted me to exclude all those nice breads, just eat plain, white bread... as much as I respected my dieticians advice, the thought of eating white bread.. Anyway, we negotiated. Compromised on 60% whole wheat when things were ok, but plain white during flares or bleeding episodes. It may have placed extra strain on my GI tract.... risk I was willing to take based on a realization that I would be too tempted to cheat on just white. As for diet on pred, well, pred can give folks a false sense of wellness. Make you feel like superman from the get go usually, tho it would take a while for your GI tract to heal significantly after starting it.
Again, I see 'trigger' foods as those which cause an immediately noticable issue whereas 'bad' foods are bad for you, whatever your particular illness may be, and they don't show up immediately; just add to your problems down the road.

Least ways... that's my belief/take on the subject.

I actually do much better on whole grain type breads, and also hate that glue like white bread. If your guts are in good enough shape, it can handle the fiber. The white bread gives me horrible gas.

Of course fibrous foods will not work when in a flare, but as soon as I healed up I was able to eat most anything. I can eat nuts and most forbidden foods now, but many of them went right through me before.

No onions. I react badly to them physically and they swell up my intestines. I think it is a food allergy of some kind. This weird reaction has never gone away. I am surprised I did not notice it until I flared up.

Dan