• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gearing up for surgery

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie. I am 41 years old, married with 2 wonderful boys. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in July 2000. It was 80% involved in the large bowel. 11 1/2 years later, I have been in and out of the hospital, have tried 6-mp, been on the dreaded Prednisone, Azathioprine, Flagyl, Asacol, Folic Acid, blah blah! On December 14th, I will undergo an abdominoperineal resection. Wow. The surgeons are amazed that I am not full of colon cancer, so I'll take that miracle and run with it! My last colonoscopy was obviously not good, he had to stop a bit past the transverse colon, so getting past the hepatic flexure and down from there proved too dangerous. I am scared, but ready. I have lots of scarring "down there" from giving birth to big babies, and have 2 other surgeries under my belt including a hysterectomy and gallbladder. I must admit, I am somewhat concerned with my appearance sporting around an ileostomy, but am most concerned with comfort, clothing wear, leaks, and skin issues. After all, I have thin, pale Irish skin! It has immensly helped me reading all of your stories, and I strive to continue to just move forward, and to gain as much info as I can prior to surgery. Thanks to all of you for your stories and help, and if you can offer any advice, I will gladly listen! Warmest regards, Snap:heart:

KWalker

Welcome, and good luck with your surgery! There are a ton of people on here who have had an illeostomy done at some point, and many still have their "bag". I can't personally speak about them because luckily I haven't had to have major surgery for my crohns yet but there are lots of people on here who can help you with whatever questions you might have.

Terriernut

Hiya Snap :welcome:
I hope you have taken the oportunity to browse our stoma subforum section? Lots of help and advice over there!

I am sure you are pretty worried about surgery, it's always frightening! If you arent afraid, you'd be nuts! But, after you've recovered, you will hopefully be feeling soooo much better.

Sounds like you've been down all the meds route. I am wishing you a very speedy recovery!

Come visit us in the stoma subforum here:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Hi Snap,

I am fair and of Irish heritage so know all about the 'delicate' skin. I sometimes think I am a bit translucent lol. I worried about this too. But, I have had very little problems with the bag at all. I can honestly say it is not a problem to me, my underwear is a little bit more Bridgette Jones but, apart from that, I wear what I like. I think you will be so relieved to get rid of your Crohn's symptoms that you will feel it is a well worth it.

Hi Misty, we chatted on another thread but they move so fast, I have seen surgeon, having proctectomy asap.

Love Kaz xxx

Jessi

Hi Snap and welcome to the forum! I'm another pale Irish gal. I look like absolute death when I flare. I really hope the surgery helps you to feel well. :)

Terriernut

Hi Misty, we chatted on another thread but they move so fast, I have seen surgeon, having proctectomy asap.

Love Kaz xxx[/QUOTE]

Kaz....keep us posted! Maybe start a new thread on the stoma forum so you can keep us updated!
:ghug: