• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnant with crohns

pregnant with crohns

hello,
im laura i was diagnosed with crohns when i was 18 and i'm now 26. i have had a few visits to stay in the hospital one recently with my crohns affecting my pregnancy. i haven't had any surgeries i have been very lucky so far and my crohns wasn't really that active until i got pregnant 27 weeks ago now and it flared really badly. im wondering if any body else has had this happen to them?
also i have been looking for information on breastfeeding and crohns i cant find much information on it, so any information pros or cons would be awesome as i'm unsure of what avenue to take and which is safest. also opinions on vacinations. thanks heaps :)

Hi Laulynd,

Congrats on your pregnancy. Sorry to hear you are flaring though.

What medications are you on? What meds do you think you'll be on whilst b/f?

I've had 4 pregnancies and b/f them all for 6 months on Pentasa and Prednisone. No effects on the baby. I found I got lots of sound advice from my obstetrician, pediatrician and midwives. There's actually only a few drugs out there that are an absolute NO NO to have whilst pg or b/f and most don't apply to us. (unless you are on Methotrexate)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Congrats on being pregnant, but I am sorry to hear your CD is acting up. I hope to start a family next year, so I have done a lot of homework on the subject. I find the following article very helpful: http://www.ccfa.org/media/pdf/FactSheets/pregnancy.pdf

This article doesn't touch upon breast feeding, but from other research, there is no reason for someone with CD not to breast feed. Of course, this is something you'd want to discuss with your doctors just to be certain.

I hope you feel better soon and you have a happy, healthy baby!

Jessi

Hello and welcome to the family. :) Wonderful news about a baby coming! I always had rough pregnancies, but it's ALWAYS worth it!!! We have a forum where you can chat with others in your boat. http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45 You can discuss pregnancy and parenting here. I hope you find it helpful and comforting after reading through and posting your own questions.

Again welcome! I hope you find a way to feel better and keep your baby healthy too! :hug: