• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Will I get done today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my surgeons list for today,the end of it I may add!to get my ileostomy reversal,I've only had it 12 weeks but it is a very high output little bugger! Therefore as a result I can't keep magnesium and spend my day emptying it. So now the question is will I get it done, I'm now fasting but I'm told it just depends on how he gets on with the earlier ops. The not knowing is the worst bit. Christmas is drawing closer.

Terriernut

Fingers crossed for you that you get it done today! I was starved and ready for my emergency surgery for a couple of days. Lets hope that doesnt happen to you!

Terriernut

Oh, I remember THAT feeling! I hope you get it done today so you can plot your feeding frenzy in a couple of weeks! Hope everything goes to plan and you are back on your feet in no time. But the starving bit is awful!

My ward friends and I used to call out to each other all the food we were gonna eat. It helped pass the time. I used to wander outside when breakfast, lunch and dinner were served. I couldnt stand it!

Terriernut

Thank you for all the kind messages. Back on the ward siping water but quite sore at wound site.
So glad to hear from you! Been thinking of you all day today. Sorry you are so sore! Dont feel afraid to ask for more pain relief. Its not like you've been through a tonsilectomy! You've been through a major proceedure!

Hoping you are back on your feet, pain free and eating xmas turkey ASAP!!!

Bowels working although a bit crampy but managing a stage one diet and free fluids worst bit is the wound pain!

Terriernut

See, you'll be fine by xmas! I know wound pain is a nasty bugger, but I hope it improves every day for you. What are they giving you for pain?

Have you paced the halls yet??

Just taking paracetemol and tramadol for the pain and yes I've been pacing the halls. Getting real food at lunchtime so we will see how that goes.at least the magnesium levels have stableized but crp is still high, they say it usually continues to rise for a few days after surgery.

Terriernut

Thats all they gave me when I had my parastomal hernia surgery. They could up the tramadol for you I would think.

They could be worried they will constipate you though?

Here's hoping you are doing well after lunch and dinner too I hope?

Not too bad tail end a bit sore with the looseish motions but hey what's new ive had a sore arse with fistulas on and off for 20yrs I should be used to it. They only seem to get angry when the motions are loose. Just have to keep plodding away. Hopefully there will be good days for all the bad ones.

Terriernut

Then bring on more tramadol! Unless it makes you nauseous of course.

Tramadol makes me not sleep for some reason, but I'm weird with meds anyway.

Hope you get to go home soon and feel great!

Hate asking the f#####s for pain med it never ceases to amaze me how much they dislike prescribing it! I'm a grown man with wife kids and job and they treat u like some sort of low life junkie!!!!!! Rant over.

Terriernut

Where are you the Luton and Dunstable??? Good grief, you didnt have your tonsils out FFS! You can take 2 Tramadols every 4 hours!! It's on the blooming labels!!! If Tramadol isnt cutting it, sometimes Codeine works better for some folks.

If that doesnt work, you can get light doses of morphine. Dont hesitate to ask. Just take less as the pain goes down. Show them you are not a junkie, and they will help you. Too many junkies are out there and it really doesnt help us that are in genuine pain!

I have to ask, are you on a surgical ward? It doesnt sound like you are.

Yeah on a surgical bowel ward but you know what they're like lol! I got a few shots of oxy norm the evening after surgery. I have some codeine of my own with me so I can add them in with the paracetemol they give me!! Don't tell! Going to ask surgeon to have a look at tail end in morn to see if he thinks I need any setons put in,had them in the past but they fell out. Also to let me have a chat with some of medical team about a maintenance drug for tail end. Whoopy won't be long till the Luke warm cats piss tea comes round.

Terriernut

Yeah on a surgical bowel ward but you know what they're like lol! I got a few shots of oxy norm the evening after surgery. I have some codeine of my own with me so I can add them in with the paracetemol they give me!! Don't tell! Going to ask surgeon to have a look at tail end in morn to see if he thinks I need any setons put in,had them in the past but they fell out. Also to let me have a chat with some of medical team about a maintenance drug for tail end. Whoopy won't be long till the Luke warm cats piss tea comes round.
Dont take tramadol with the codeine...oooohhh, that isnt good. (dont ask me how I know this) You tell them to help you out...but dont mix, really!!

I think they need to spend time with you the surgeons and drs and yes, the setons will prob help!!

Terriernut

I got that the first time, I just worried about the mix. The tramadol will stay in your system for a bit.

They need to get you right for pain meds the bloody fools!

Quick update bowels running alot quieter today thank god they've sounded like a sick jumbo this past few days, surgical reg has given me oxynorm instead of tramadol and has had a look at fistula,she doesn't think any setons need placed immediately but will keep an eye on it. Finally she's having a new gastro come and see me tomorrow re drugs for maintenance and fistula. Ps crp is now on downward path thank frig and magnesium has not only stayed in the normal range but risen,was depleting within 3 days when I had ileostomy.

ameslouise

That all sounds like good news! Good luck about the fistula. Let us know how it goes with the new gastro.

Hang in there! - Amy