• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I really hate insurance companies

Thanks to our lovely shared illness I've not been working. I wouldn't have chosen disability but my doctor said it would be the best way to toss all the assorted treatments at it and also make appointments etc with the hope that I'd get better. Its gone from short term to long term disability now with it looking like there is no chance I'll be back to work before May or June now :voodoo:

I have disability insurance that I have been collected but I've passed the magic 3 month mark where it goes from short term to long term. I had to do battle with the short term claims people to get paid and now I'm having to do battle again and I'm goddamn frustrated I'm ready to just blow up.

They lack all ability to properly communicate with me. In this latest round, it was only after several emails and phone calls to the "examiner" near the date of when I was supposed to get paid was I told that they needed more paperwork. Having slayed the villain that was my doctors office and getting my records over to the insurance company I was told it would only be a couple days to get things turned around and payment sent out to me (this was 2 fucking weeks ago)

Every time I have an interaction with these people I have to hold my tongue. I want to ask them "do you seriously think at the age of 29 that I would make this shit up?!, I just emailed you a fucking 37 page PDF of my medical records since your incomptent ass can't figure out how to use a fax machine, just PAY ME WHAT I'M OWED AND MOVE THE FUCK ON". I am sure in the insurance industry that there are plenty of grifters who are trying to bilk the system and you have to key to the average case/person but seriously. I haven't been paid in almost 2 months now. This situation is bordering on ridiculous to the point that I've pondered asking my doctor to release me even though it wouldn't be in my best interests just so I can collect a friggin check.

That's precisely what they want you to do. Very few people even try to rip them off. It's just that if they can save 1 disability claim its worth it to them. Furthermore, they know you'll cave into them before they'll cave in to you. If they want you to not get disability all they have to do is make it difficult and time consuming and you'll give up and not go on disability. Victory and bonus/promotion for them.