• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could this be a flare?

Johnny has been on Prednisone since Oct. 14 and is now down to 5 mg set to be off on Friday of this week. My family went for to a restaurant last week that a lot of MSG in their food and it made Johnny sick that night. (about 3 hours of nausea then vomited once and better). He is completely back to normal now (3 days later) but tonight got pain in his mid section. Something he hasn't had since before he was diagnosed. Is this just a reaction to his food episode a few days ago or could this have triggered a flare up? I am wondering if I should call the dr. tomorrow but I really don't want his prednisone increased now that we are finally getting off. I can't believe this is happening :( Advice please.:sign0085:

Tiffany
mom of Johnny
Dx 10-10-11
Prednisone 5mg
6mg 75 mg
Iron
Prevacid

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Tiffany, I've seen on here many times, an individual will get down to a point with pred and begin to flare again. 6mp will need more time to become effective, so he may need to extend the pred taper. Maybe you better call the GI:( Sorry!!

I've been told over and over that food can cause a brief issue (like it does with everyone including people without crohn's) ...but food doesn't 'cause' a flare. It's the immune system acting up that causes the inflammation (flare).

That was what the nurses thought. I told her Johnny had popcorn last night and she was quick to say he shouldn't eat popcorn. Our GI said he can eat anything and it will not cause a flare but I am thinking just better to avoid it especially while we are trying to get off Pred. My worry was the reaction to the food Friday night. He was so violently ill that I think he has some type of allergy. The same thing happens to me when I eat shellfish. Still waiting to see what the Dr thinks. I hope you are right!

Johnnysmom, I was told to avoid popcorn/seeds/nuts always because if there is narrowing of the small intestine (the most common site for Crohns), it can easily cause a blockage. (Which here means hospitalization/ng tube :( )
We have made it off of Pred a time or two, but we also have gotten symptoms back after getting to a certain dose. (she has only been off of it for a short while in the past year. She is ON it now, but still symptomatic).
It is an awful feeling...(((HUGS))). I hate Pred too!! Hope he is feeling better soon!!

Dr. said to continue taper he thinks it was just the popcorn. I am not so sure but I will watch him like a hawk. If symptoms continue then I will know for sure. Sorry Izzi is having such a hard time getting off the Prednisone. It is so hard to be constantly trying to figure out what to do when they hurt. Thanks for your help. :)

My DDs first doctor told me to feed her anything she wants. I switched doctors after a 10 days stay in the hospital and a blood transfusion. I now have the head of GI at children's hospital who told me to avoid... Peppers, tomato sauces, heavy chewy meat and all nuts seed including popcorn, too much sugar. Funny this is the first doctors boss and has a completely different approach.

Try creamy pesto for pizzas with nuked veggies and a good deli chicken (like boars head) or real chicken shredded. Use olive oil instead of veg oil. Use fruit to marinade your meats, fresh ginger chopped, garlic. Try deboles pasta in health food section (Jerusalem artichoke flour) is yummy. Nothing fried of any sort. We switched to fat free goat milk and my DD didn't notice. Also lactose free milk is good. Yogurt with a good probiotic all the stores have junk. Try a health food store first. gluten free is easy to digest so we use these also. pH balance is important too if you go on asacol or any pill that releases in the colon for if the pH is off you might as well throw them right in the toilet cuz it won't work if he's acidic. 7.5 is optimal. Lemon/limes added to water helps and I use it all over our meats after they are cooked. No artificial sweeteners. Best of luck. I got my DD involved and she tries things if she helps me make the food. NO breads with a fiber higher than 1 and seedless.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Tiffany,

I know how you feel hun...:hug:...my children will never be able to vomit or have abdominal pain now without me fearing that Crohn's is rearing it's head again. Ugh!

I don't believe diet causes flares but I certainly do believe that food plays a role in alleviating symptoms when flaring and also maintaining a sense of health and well being when in remission. I also believe that there are certain foods that people with Crohns don't tolerate well just as people without Crohn's don't. There are those listed listed in above posts and even amongst those it is highly individual. My daughter for example couldn't tolerate corn pre op but post op and remission corn doesn't bother her. I think it is a good idea to eliminate things like corn, nuts, spicy foods and so on and keep a food journal.

I would call the doctor to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind. :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Dusty. xxx

My DDs first doctor told me to feed her anything she wants. I switched doctors after a 10 days stay in the hospital and a blood transfusion. I now have the head of GI at children's hospital who told me to avoid... Peppers, tomato sauces, heavy chewy meat and all nuts seed including popcorn, too much sugar. Funny this is the first doctors boss and has a completely different approach.

Try creamy pesto for pizzas with nuked veggies and a good deli chicken (like boars head) or real chicken shredded. Use olive oil instead of veg oil. Use fruit to marinade your meats, fresh ginger chopped, garlic. Try deboles pasta in health food section (Jerusalem artichoke flour) is yummy. Nothing fried of any sort. We switched to fat free goat milk and my DD didn't notice. Also lactose free milk is good. Yogurt with a good probiotic all the stores have junk. Try a health food store first. gluten free is easy to digest so we use these also. pH balance is important too if you go on asacol or any pill that releases in the colon for if the pH is off you might as well throw them right in the toilet cuz it won't work if he's acidic. 7.5 is optimal. Lemon/limes added to water helps and I use it all over our meats after they are cooked. No artificial sweeteners. Best of luck. I got my DD involved and she tries things if she helps me make the food. All breads with a fiber higher than 1 and seedless.
You want high fiber? When Izz was on a restricted diet our nutritionist told us nothing with >1 g of fiber.
OP, I wasn't trying to complain...at this point it is what it is...I am just along for the we-never-have-matching-pajama-bottoms-by-the-morning ride ;)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Tiffany,

When my son was diagnosed in the spring, we were told no popcorn, nuts, seeds. And our GI also believes that, while food does not cause a flare, certain foods can either exacerbate or reduce symptoms. It could be that if there was still any inflammation present, perhaps it was the popcorn that caused his current symptoms. :confused2: Is he beginning to feel a bit better???

I know that since my son was diagnosed in the spring, he has had random bouts of symptoms (constipation, pain, just ‘not feeling well’), so far I haven’t been able to connect the symptoms to any specific foods. I worry each time (going through it now, AGAIN!) that it is the beginning of a flare but, so far, each incident has resolved on its own or with just some home treatments (ie. prune juice). I hope that’s the case for Johnny and that he's already beginning to feel better. :)

The journal is great thing to do. I forgot to mention that in my post. Brian couldn't tolerate popcorn before remission and it caused him left side pain. But now, a year later, he can have it without problem. I, however, hardly ever let him have it!! Its a treat once a month...maybe!!
Some foods I just eliminated for my whole family because its not good for any of us...ie hotdogs, brats, fried or greasy stuff, soda, excess junk food, etc. There are lots of other choices, why risk it. That's our motto.
I'm not sure foods cause inflammation...but could cause gas...cramps...etc. (Non crohn's people experience that too). But I try to think like this: Don't take remission for granted and stay careful, always!!

You want high fiber? When Izz was on a restricted diet our nutritionist told us nothing with >1 g of fiber.
OP, I wasn't trying to complain...at this point it is what it is...I am just along for the we-never-have-matching-pajama-bottoms-by-the-morning ride ;)
No less than 1. Stupid iPad must've fixed it. I'll correct my post and send a message. Big mistake good catch izzysmom.

Hey Tiff,

I hope Johnny's feeling better... When Alex was diagnosed last year the doctor gave us a NEVER EVER AGAIN list and number 1 on the list was popcorn, followed by any type of nut and seeds, they can scratch the intestines so easily and can cause all kinds of issues.

Today he's even careful about anything with corn (corn tortillas, corn chips, corn on the cob, etc.). At 15 he says, "If you see it in your poop, I don't want it in my stomach!" laughs...

So if certain foods are typically hard to digest by others, he avoids them.

Now if I could keep him off Blue Raspberry Icees - he suffers everytime he has one!

God bless you! Will keep Johnny and you in my prayers (I have a Jonny - grins, won't be hard to remember you!)

Shell