• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here

Hi everyone!
I'm newly diagnosed with Crohn's disease and I also have depression (treated) so my family feels it's a good idea for me to talk to other people who are going through similar struggles.
I've had stomach issues since I was about 17, I'm 23 now. Back in September over labor day I was admitted to the hospital with serious lower right quadrant pains. They thought it was my appendix - I had an ultra sound and a ct scan before they determined that it was my terminal ilium that was swollen and there was liquid around it. They started me on 2 heavy duty antibiotics and after being in the hospital for 5 days they felt that it was a bacterial infection and that I was well enough to go home.
Basically in between being released from the hospital and the beginning of December I had several periods of time where I was unwell and unable to get out of bed from both pain and nausea.
My mom and I had to push my family doctor for answers after being unable to work for 2 weeks at the beginning of December and she finally scheduled an ultrasound and some blood tests.
From the ultrasound they were able to determine that I had an abscess on my bowel so I'm on the same antibiotics from the hospital for 4 weeks in hopes that we can avoid surgery.
I've been diagnosed with perforated crohn's disease and come January I have to have another ct scan and a colonoscopy before I can begin treatment.
I'm scared.
If anyone read all that, I commend you! It felt nice to write out my story.

I get concerned when you mention anything dealing with perforation. Do you have a perforation that you are aware of? I ask that because when the way i was diagnosed with crohns was due to having to have emergency surgery due to having a perforated colon and small intestine. It got pretty rough. I know it sucks to deal with all pain, and other wonderful things that go along with having crohns. Fortunately you are going in a positive direction it sounds. I wish you luck on avoiding the surgery if you possibly can.

I currently have a small perforation. They put me on 4 weeks of serious antibiotics and mid January I have to have a ct scan to make sure it's gone or else I need surgery. :(
Thank you for reading and replying to me!

At least they have caught it before it has gotten too bad. I know that it can be a scary thought that you may have to have surgery, but i wouldnt let it worry you. If it comes to that, you will end up feeling better. I was actually happy to have had the surgery. I was really able to find out how bad things really were, and it has helped me to get on the treatment that i need to be on. It is hard to deny some things when someone has seen them through their own eyes instead of through scans and scopes. I do hope that it doesnt come to surgery though. You are quite welcome for the reply.

Angrybird

Hi there :bigwave: Welcome to the forum. Fingers crossed the antibiotics will work and surgery can be avoided, I agree that it sounds like is been caught quite soon.

Astra

Hiya Nikaay
and welcome

Sounds like you've had a scary time there!
Are the meds that you're on Metronidazole (Flagyl)?
I was given these when I was in hospital and they healed me nicely and I avoided the knife cos of them!
Good luck with your scan, come back and let us know how you are.
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi nikaay, im new here too and this is definitely the right place for support. Communicating with people with common things like damn Crohn's disease does make you feel better. I hope things work out well for you.