• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worms anyone?

Ok, so to begin with, if you're squeamish, you should probably stop reading about now :).

A Dr. I'm seeing has told me that people with gut problems combined with skin problems-which i have- almost always have parasite issues. So i got myself tested about 6 months ago and the results came back negative for parasites.

So you can imagine my surprise when after being on a ketogenic diet (all meat/fat), for 3 1/2 weeks, i started to pass what i can only assume was worms, (white smooth gelatinous strands, ranging from 3 inches to 18 inches in length 1/8 in. in diameter). I have been told that they need sugars/starches to thrive and the meat/fat was what killed them off.

I sent off a stool sample to a lab and it came back negative for parasites again. I have since sent off an actual worm which i had the undesirable job of scooping out of my toilet. I am awaiting the results on that but i am pretty confused by the whole thing.

Will keep you updated when i get results which will be next week. Link below shows a pic of one of the worms, copy an paste if you dare :).

file:///Users/oldjude/SDC10195.jpg

Wow, I bet that was a little scary seeing them in your toilet! (btw filename couldn't be located.)
I believe parasites are known to evade testing...
How are you feeling these days?
all the best.

Terriernut

I wish the link would work!!! Proper worms!? Are you going to try and find out where they came from?

Do you know that some treatments for Crohns actually consist of GIVING us certain types of worms? :shifty:

How can we find the posted jpeg? Interesting idea, concerning the ketogenic diet. I just don't get how hard it is to detect such large worms. Do these things tend to live in the small bowel exclusively?

Maybe off topic: Has the EDTA and Vit C drips helped your energy levels noticeably, or positively affected any other symptoms?

How can we find the posted jpeg? Interesting idea, concerning the ketogenic diet. I just don't get how hard it is to detect such large worms. Do these things tend to live in the small bowel exclusively?

Maybe off topic: Has the EDTA and Vit C drips helped your energy levels noticeably, or positively affected any other symptoms?
Sorry, i'll try to post a pic that works. I don't know if they live in the small bowel or anything else about them.

Haven't noticed very big changes since i started the edta/vit c drips. And they are very expensive.

Just got another test done. This time on an actual suspected worm. Came back negative as a parasite. The Dr. said he suspects it was just mucus forming into worm-like strands. Sorry folks. Looks like a false alarm :)