• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Molly's story

I'm new to this forum and for the last 20+ years I have been in remission from early episodes of Crohn's disease. I am now a 42 year old single mom. Id was first diagnosed with Crohn's around age 20. I had numerous treatments and surgeries to repair fissures, fistulas and abscesses. In the mid 90's I had 31 cm of my ileum, ileocecal junction and colon with appendix removed. The next few decades were Crohn's free.

BUT....39 months ago I was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer and was treated with several surgeries, chemo and radiation. All was well for the next 3 years.

BUT...3 months ago I experienced severe back pain and after numerous xrays and scans, it was determined that my breast cancer had metastasized to my bones. I was treated with radiation to relieve severe back pain and I began treatment with an oral chemo drug called Xeloda. After two weeks of strong Xeloda treatment, I began having severe diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain and fever.

Apparently the Xeloda coupled with the stress of my cancer recurrence had triggered my long dormant Crohn's disease. I have been in the hospital for almost five out of the last 6 weeks undergoing all the unpleasant GI scopes, tests and blood work to pinpoint and try to control my Crohn's symptoms. The last hospital stay was due to a severe reaction to the Fenatyl pain patch I was given before being sent home for Christmas. I became extremely nauseous and could not keep any of my Crohn's meds or any food down at all.

After being taken off the pain patch, I am slowly recovering from that ordeal but still feel weak and have severe stomach pain after eating meals. I am being treated with Predisone, Pentasa, Bentyl, Omeprazole, Rocaltrol and Dilaudid (for pain).

The bigger problem is that my oclologist won't start a new (and different) course of IV chemo for my bone metastases until the Crohn's is under control and I am weaned off the predisone. I worry that the cancer is continuing to grow while I am forced to wait for my Crohns to subside. I am also worried that I have missed 6 weeks of work and desperately need my job to maintain my insurance benefits.

That's my sad story.
2011 has not been a good year for me.

Molly

David

Co-Founder
Hi Molly and welcome,

Ugh, you poor thing. I can't imagine what you're going through :(

*hugs*

Now, keeping in mind I am no doctor and even further from an oncologist, what I DO know is that there are Crohn's drugs such as 6MP and Methotrexate (click those!) that are in fact used to treat cancer as well. Maybe get your oncologist and GI together and see what their thoughts of utilizing them to treat your Crohn's and hope that it helps with the cancer as well?

By the way, having had that much of your intestines resected, have you been having your vitamin B12, folate, and fat soluble vitamin A, D (I realize you're on Rocaltrol but that is a terrible way to treat D deficiency so I hope it's for something else), E, and K monitored? If you're deficient in any of those then getting your levels up is only going to help you with the fight you're in.

Please keep us updated. We're here for you.

Oh Molly, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I am glad you have found this forum. We are here for you. Let us know how things go, and what we can do.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Molly, I am so sorry that you have had so very much to deal with in 2011. I very much hope 2012 brings you healthy and happiness!

I'm not sure if Enteral Nutrition therapy would be an option for you but it has been my son's treatment since his crohns diagnosis in May. In children (altho he is 17), it has a comparable success rate at achieving remission as steroids without the side effects. Perhaps this treatment can help your crohns and allow your oncologist to proceed with other treatments.

There is a subforum for Enteral Nutrition under treatment (http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161) and a thread in the Parents of Kids w/IBD that contains quite a bit of info (http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=22753)

Thinking of you and sending wishes for a much better 2012!

Jessi

Molly, I'm so very glad you've joined our family here.

We have others here with CD who have survived breast cancer. Hang in there, love, and let us be your strength. :hug: We'll hold your hand through the whole ordeal.

About your job, you do have rights, I'm sure. What country are you in?