• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

newly diagnosed

Hello..

im 21yr old male, I had lost nearly 3 stone very rapidly and was taken into hospital after constant pain an diareaoh, i was diagnosed with crohns colitis after suspiscion of ulcerative colits, after being on 40mg prednisolone daily im now on azathioprine 150mg daily which is a high dose apparently. unfortunatley with this tablet i find it to make me very nausea's and sometimes sick in the mornings. my pain usually occurs in the morning which i describe as a chinese burn but in the lower stomach. ive also found that cheese will mess me up but only the next day will i have the pain from it.

look forward to reading your thoughts.

Astra

Hiya obrien
and welcome

I had a rotten time with Aza, so I stopped it. I've read on here that some people take it at night time
We have a lot of info in the treatment section on Aza, it's aka Imuran
There are a few of us who can't tolerate dairy and cheese, check out our diet and fitness sub forums for more info.
Glad you found us, enjoy the forum
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Angrybird

Hi there and welcome to the forum :bigwave: How long have you been on the Aza and are you still on any pred at the mo? I agree with Joan about checking out the diet forum, it is definetly worth keeping a food diary so you can note down what foods trigger symptoms - dairy is a common one for us. Also have you had any of your vitamin levels checked yet - such as B12 and D, it is common for crohnies to be deficient in these and they bring along their own set of issues.

ive been on the aza for 3 months now and been off the preds for about 2 an a half. they really increased my appetite which was needed after loosing the weight.

KWalker

Welcome. I see your from Essex... I'm going to guess you're talking about the UK, but what are the odds you're talking about Essex, Ontario. Canada?

Angrybird

Well you have been on the Aza a reasonable amount of time now. Have you spoken to your doc/IBD nurse about the nausea and sickness? If not I would do so as this could be indicative that the Aza is not keeping things fully under control. Another slight increase in the dosage may be required - I was eventually put on 200mg. Also as mentioned above keeping an eye on what you eat is key, you may inadvertently be eating something that could be attributing to these symptoms.

i have my next appointment with the consultant 18th jan so will mention it then. i remember he said about doing another colonoscopy to have another look at things which i am really not looking forward to as the fluid they gave me for sedation didnt kick in untill 2 hours after the actual colonoscopy :/ sorry kwalker but essex in the uk. sometimes i get a very bloated pain which lasts around 2 minutes then i will need to pass wind an its fine :S

Angrybird

YAY! Another crohnie from my neck of the woods :) Depending on how bad you feel your symptoms are it may still be worth trying to chat with the IBD nurse before the appt. At least this way they can get some bloods done so if you do have any inflammation going on this will show up and doc will have this information to hand on the 18th.

yeah i did have a blood test weekly for 6 weeks when i began the aza which all came back fine, i take it you have the farting problem to then? lol ive also found that i feel alot more tired of a night now an around 10pm im struggling to stay awake. ive been told by somebody who had the bag that it suited them very well an they have never looked back but im not sure how id get along with that

Angrybird

Definetly have the trumpeting problem, gives me and my husband a right giggle :) With the recent weather I wasn't sure if it was windier inside or out!! If your crohns is a bit active then this will be contributing to the tiredness. With regards to the bag I would hope that you are still at the stage where surgery doesn't even have to be an option for you. I lasted 9 years before my first op and hope to go at least another 9 if I can. It went better than I ever thought it would but surgery will always be a last resort for me.