• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

26 with Crohns

Well, I will start out that I have Crohns Disease since Jan 09. I am 26 currently. I lost 100 lbs from 08-09 and was in so much pain I landed in the ER. With a CT scan then a Colonoscopy I was diagnosed. I never in my life heard of this disease before my diagnosis. I had a resection in Jan 2010. They removed 2ft of my small intestines and 2 large abcesses. I was in and out of the hospital from my diagnosis until my surgery complaining of my symptoms. The doctors pretty much made me feel like a "drug seeker" and a "looney" Well finally I had a great surgeon review my ct scan in Jan2010 and say we need to to an emergency bowel resection on ya! I was obstructed pretty bad and my insides were just dead. They left me wide open because the infection was soooooo bad. I had to heal from the inside out. Well now it has been two years since my surgery and Im starting back with many of my previous issues. I did have a fairly problem free pregnancy and my daughter is 5 months old now. During the pregnancy I was hospitalized twice, once because of horrible pain they say was the"adhesions" from my surgery and second at 8 months preggo with a fairly large DVT in my right leg. MAN I HATE BLOOD THINNERS!!! I also have a 7 year old son whom I never had a single problem with and never had any symptoms back then. I had him when I was 18. Well yadda yadda yadda. My current problem is I have not worked since my resection, the diarrhea is just too bad. And I am sitting her with NO MEDICAL INSURANCE. I had insurance during my pregnancy but of course they could not test much of anything. Well now my Diarrhea is more frequent but in small amounts and very dark a has a lot of mucus. I am having a lot of pain in my gut that comes and goes. I also feel like blah and cannot do much of anything. No energy no nothing. My 7 year old a baby girl get the little that I have left. I know I have a B-12 def. but cannot afford the injections. I really need a colonoscopy last one was right after my resection bout 2 years ago. And I swear I feel like I have a partial blockage. Last time I could not use the restroom so Im not really sure this time. I have went into the ER and the CTscan showed wall thickening and inflammation. And they hooked me right up with prednisone(YUK!) and again made me feel nuts. What should I do.. Anyone out there have any ideas for me... I just need something I cannot do it anymore. Thats why I have turned to the internet for help. I know no one who has this horrible disease to even ask for help or ideas. Thank you, PS Sorry so long IM venting.

You sound just like me. Today has been horrible, stomach pains, lots of mucus, diarrhea. This is a horrible disease. I was diagnosed back in December, and for 2.5 years before that, I battled a nasty intestinal bacteria called C-diff. (Chlosteridium Difficle). I do have medical insurance, but its only ok. I understand the frustration of needing all of the medical stuff done and not having money. Do you have anyway you could call and see if you could get your stuff done and get it wrote off? I had that happen where because I didn't make enough money, I got my bill from the hospital wrote off. I work full time and go to college full time and it's the hardest thing to keep moving throughout the day. The energy is not there. I'm dreading for Monday because I start back to school again and I'm hoping to feel somewhat better. By the way, you're not much older than me, I'm 21. Thankfully, I do still live with my parents and I'm glad I ended up not going away to college or moving out because there is no way I could of afforded it. I force myself to work because of my car payment and some college loans coming in and I refuse to let myself get sued or miss my bill payment due dates. I would deff. see if you can get some kind of assistance. There are ways out there!

Thanks for reading. My problem is the hospital system in my area is private owned. They are all about the $$$. I am looking into getting some assistance through one of the state hospitals here in Virginia. I know this will take time and hope I can wait it out. I looked up some numbers today for hospitals in 2 large cities that are also medical colleges so hoping to get some help. Student doctors need practice=FREE - I hope

Hi LoriMichelle---sorry about all of your troubles. Yes--I totally understand how Crohn's can wipe you out in the physical, mental, and financial aspects. Look into the state hospitals or university based hospitals for sure. Do you have Catholic hospitals nearby? Some of those hospitals actually have retroactive funding---like if you get approved today and have a bill from 2 months ago--they will absorb it! Some hospitals will also help you apply for state aid. How ridiculous that you are sooooooo sick and cannot afford to go to the Dr. or have any procedures done. Oh I just loooooovvvvve our system here. Call your congressman or congresswoman---I have done that and actually got help! Sometimes you just need to throw your arse a bit to get people and hospitals to realize that--yes I am sick and YES I am worthy despite being poor or underinsured or uninsured! You hang in there, sending you warm wishes!:smile: Dana