• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Which way to go

Hi all,
Just trying to get some advice on the treatment options I have been given.
I was diagnosed with crohn's last November and I was tapering down prednisolone while starting Aza.
I have just come out of hospital again after having a allergic reaction to aza.
I have gone back on Prednisolone and been asked to think about 3 options open to me.
I should first say I am 56yrs and the bit affected is 20cm (8 inches) mural thickening of the terminal ileum plus reactive lymph nodes.

The choices are Methotrexate, Infliximab, or surgery.

I know I have to make the final decision but

any advice for and against each option, I would be grateful.

I agree. Although i was very thankful to have had my surgeries, i definitely think that surgery should be something you do when you dont have any other options.

My inflammation is also in the terminal ileum. My doctor said we would try meds and surgery would be a last result. I would try the meds first and leave surgery being the last thing. ( Of course, I'm already thinking surgery for me, but meds haven't helped me too much) I hope you get feeling better soon! Surgery is very expensive too.

As long as you are not experiencing heavy bleeding or a possible preforation or some other potentially life threatening situation, I would also vote meds before surgery. Per my GI doc, "After surgery, Crohn's always comes back. It might take several years, or I have seen it return in several months, but it always comes back."

Unless the Mayan calendar is correct and the world will end in December, you're going to be dealing with Crohn's for a long time. Might as well figure out how to best fight it now.

I agree with taking meds before surgery. However, I would let the docs decide which medicine is best suitable for you. That said I'm now taking 500mg Infliximab (Remicade) every 8 weeks and it is finally working wonders for me. I hope it lasts!

Thanks for your replies, they will help me make a decision.
I would have thought surgery was a last resort but out of the other two I'm not sure which one has the least side affects.
That said most people seem to cope on Aza but it didn't suit me.

Thanks again.