• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tum in remission but everything else not?

Hi everyone

I have finally tapered of the Pred after being on it for a few months now. I have also been on a low FODMAPs diet for a month and a half (apparently I have IBS as well as Crohn's).

I don't know if it is the Pred or the diet but my stomach is really good. No bloating and gas (big issues for me - hence the FODMAPS), no cramps or pain. So I guess my gut is in "remission". Which is great, really, but my joints and fatigue are just out of control. My knees and hips ache all the time and I just feel like I've been hit by a bus (exhausted). Still getting "bumps" in mouth after eating.

If my gut is in remission can it be that the rest isn't? I'm a little concerned. Maybe it's just coming off the steroids? I was pretty hyper and busy on them. I have felt like this before (and before I was diagnosed with Crohn's) I was told by a Dr "it's just depression making you feel like that". Surely depression can't cause pain? Anyone with any ideas? Thanks xxxx

ekay03

My dog has hands!
I think depression can cause pain but I dont know if that is what is going on w/ you. I know this is probably no no, but I am going to suggest a drug that has help me tremendously. Cymbalta, it is actually an anti-depressant that really does work for body pain. I saw an ad for Cymbalta on the TV and I asked my doctor about it. He prescribed it to me and has really done wonders for my body pain. I used to feel like I was run over by a bus, no I dont feel like a was run over by anything!

Thanks Darl. I guess I just don't know. I've been on Cymbalta before and I'm not on any "brain meds" at the mo and I guess I was hoping I could avoid them if I could - but, if they can help - why not? I am glad they are helping you - sounds like they are working wonders! I don't think they really helped me before - but I guess I can give them another try. I was thinking maybe Endep - but really - they are probably the same deal. Thanks so much for your reply! Take care xxx

Last edited:

ekay03

My dog has hands!
I looked up Endep, that is Amitriptyline. I tried that one before the cymbalta and tho it helped my pain a little, the side effect were awful for me. I tried it for a month and a was sleepy all the time. I have tried lots of stuff and the cymbalta works the best. I am sorry I sound like a tv comercial for the drug. These drugs are not one size fits all. I felt it work w/in 2 days. If it hasn't started working in that amount of time. I dont think this is the one for you. I really did think long and hard before I started the Cymbalta. I didn't want more stuff inside me. There is so much I am taking already, but the pain was so bad. The hydrocodone was barely helping at all. For me, for now, cymbalta is the answer. Im really sorry I havent been more helpful. Maybe somebody will see this post and have advice to a more natural approach.

Thanks Honey - I really appreciate everything you said - I guess I didn't want to face up to something (being depressed) that was kinda staring me right in the face! It really is fab that the cymbalta is working for you. I know with the Endep it does take awhile to stop making you feel sleepy - so it is great that the cymbaltra worked so quickly! You can't beat that sort of turn-around. It's hard - isn't it - when you think "ok - I'm not well with Crohn's and now I'm depressed too and need more stuff for depression". I really respect the fact that you thought about it and made a decision that was tricky but ultimately was the right one for you. I just hope I can make that too! Thanks again for all your help and kind words xxxx

PS what sort of dosage are you on with the Cymbalta?

Last edited:

ekay03

My dog has hands!
I started taking the Cymbalta on 1/6 and felt 80% better the next morning. I am currently taking 30mg. daily, but I read on the internet that the usual dose for pain is 60 mg. So my plan is to go back to the doctor next month and see if I cant take 60mg Cymbalta and drop the zoloft. I enclosed a link to the cymbalta web page http://www.cymbalta.com/Pages/index.aspx

Thanks for that - I did bit of looking around on the net and found that 60 does seem to be the "way to go" for pain - maybe I'll start small and see how I go. I didn't realise you were on the Zoloft too. I would love to know how you get on with your Dr - keep me posted! Hope it goes well! Thanks again for all your help and the link xxxx

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Honestly I feel this list of drugs has gotten a little out of control! I am on 3 brain meds!! That is CRAZY! Buspar, Zoloft and Cymbalta. It all stated w/ zoloft years ago. Then just recently my doc decided that I needed a mood stabilizer, so being the agreeable peson that I am I said OK! Then I saw the Cymbalta commercial and asked if it would help me. My doctor studied my chart for a moment and said "Lets try it". I figure that if this amount of drugs was not good, my pharmacist would say something. Aside from my doctor being VERY insistant as to my treatment we get along well. I cant complain about my treatment considering I do feel better.

I know where you are coming from - for years I've been off and on trying nearly every psych drug Zoloft, Aurorix, Fluoxamine and Cymbalta and a mood stabilizer too (which I really don't think I should have ever been put on - but that's neither here nor there I guess) and more. That's why I suppose after not being on them so long, then getting my diagnosis of Crohn's and going through all the rigmarole of that and now just coming off the steroids - I am reluctant to get on the "psych drug roundabout" again. I am so happy for you that you are feeling better and this is a huge thing and a real "reality check" for me to get off my butt and try something that may help a lot. I don't want to feel like this forever! It is so encouraging to know I'm not alone!! Thank you xxx

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Hi StepfordWife, You are definitely not alone. Somebody posted about a product they just started for osteoarthritis. It is called SAM-E and I have enclosed the link to the thread. This is a more natural approach. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31249
I understand why you would prefer to not take the mind drugs if you could help it. Check out this thread! :)