• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member - My Story

J

JasonOH

Hello, everyone. I'm happy to have joined.

My name is Jason and I'm in central Ohio. I am 26 years old and have been diagnosed with 'IBS', although I personally suspect Crohn's or some other inflammatory disease because I also suffer with things like joint pain, chronic fatigue, and chronic dry eye syndrome.

All of these problems popped-up when I was about 22 years old (so, about four years ago).

When I was 18 years old I went through a round of medication known as Accutane, for acne (which I didn't have bad enough to warrant this last resort medicine), and I highly suspect that it has played a large part in my declining health/development of stomach and digestive problems.

I was also on the anti-anxiety medication Paxil around the time a lot of my syptoms started, but know that a lot of other Accutane patients developed IBD, even years after taking it, just like I have. I realize there are many other factors that could have predisposed me to developing these problems, but think that the Accutane has a fair influence.

My gastro. performed an upper-GI and also an abdominal CT enterography and they did not find anything that indicated IBD such as Crohn's or UC. My upper-GI came back negative for celiac and h. pylori biopsies, so they still classify me with IBS. But because of my other obviously inflammatory conditions, I still consider myself someone with a Crohn's related condition, sort of coupled with IBS symptoms.

My main symptoms are depression, anxiety, panic, unexplained crying spells, abdominal bloating and distension, intestinal cramping with pain and discomfort, mostly diarrhea predominant. All symptoms increase usually immediately after is not shortly after eating. I also get ileocecal valve issues, and I know that this is an area where Crohn's can manifest. I can massage around this area and hear a squishing sound, which is quite disturbing in and of itself.

Well, I told myself I wasn't going to drag this out too much, so that is my brief story. I'm struggling a lot right now with depression/anxiety, inability to gain weight, and the overall day-to-day struggles that come with IBD related conditions and am very thankful this site exists so I can hopefully benefit from everyone's support, as well as provide it through my own experiences.

May add more later. Thanks and hello to everyone!
Jason

J

JasonOH

Just wanted to add that I am on a low-carbohydrate diet to help with my digestive issues, even though fat generally stimulates my digestive cramping, etc. I find it a little more tolerable than the gas and constipation that carbohydrates and roughage-including plant foods contain.

My diet mostly surrounds SCD and a low-carb. diet like that which is explained in 'Life Without Bread', but I don't eat a lot of carbs and I don't eat any fruits or veggies because I'm pretty much in fear of them now (self-induced complex?... probably).

S

Shakedown

When I had my last flare I could tolerate simple carbs (white bread, potatoes) Ate a lot of fish, bananas, and green beans too. But what works for me might not work for you.

Kev

Yeah, diet is pretty specific to the individual. Mine is a low fat, low fibre, hi protein diet. I also avoid/limit sugars, avoid lactose (milk sugar) like the plague, and with regard to veggies... no fresh fruit or veggies... veggies I do eat are cooked till a mush AND I avoid green or gassy vegs. In place of fresh fruit, I eat some canned fruit with no pits, seeds, stones.. no skins (low residue restriction) and no added sugar. I also drink fruit juice usually pulp free orange juice with added calcium, no lactose, and no added sugar.. I use honey as a sweetener, and all of my cooking methods are the healthiest I can make them... like no deep fried foods, only 'frying' I do is using teflon pan and least qty of the lightest oil I can get... used in an atomized sprayer. Like, fat content in one of your typical fast food burgers is more than I'd consume in 3 days. I've heard folks on here who can eat just about anything and get away with it, but I don't seem to be that lucky.. However, I've reached the stage where my diet is like almost 2nd nature... so tho I do miss real food, i'm not suicidal anymore