• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

It pisses me off when people say they want crohn's so they can lose weight

K

karl

it pisses me off when people say they want crohn's so they can lose weight

if they only knew the struggle and pain

people are far too lazy

I heard that the other day. I try to not get so upset anymore but it still hurts everytime I hear someone say they want this disease. I sometimes wish people could have this disease for a week just to see how bad it can be. But that would be a little harsh. Anyways I don't know where I was going with this...

i've never heard anyone say that... but if people are lining up for a quick dose of crohns, they can have mine with pleasure. & keep it too.

nope, actually, kev. i've stopped wondering that particular thing. its simple - this world is full of morons.

sorry, got my grumpy head on today.

P

pennywanna

I have never heard anyone say such a thing, how retarted is that? It just goes to show you no matter how you tell people of your disease they still dont get it. The pain alone would hardly be worth it. I need to lose a few lbs, but I would never want to use this as diet plan??? Stupid people....

I haven't heard anyone else say they wanted it for that, but I don't mind my weight loss because of it. Might as well get something out of this horrible disease.

I've heard it before...

actually one of my coworkers today was talking to my boss today because my boss has been sick with the Big "D" and the guy goes "yeah won't it be funny when you crap like that all the time everyday because you're old?"

I literally flipped out on him... especially since he knows I have Crohn's Disease. He then proceeded to tell me that it couldn't be that bad, and that "oh you just poop a lot" .... Then I was so mad that I realized how off-the-handle I was about to get and I told him he just didn't understand and I stormed outta the building.

My boss gave him a stern lecture about insensitivity (my boss's mom has Crohn's) and apparently he asked him if he knew what it was like to have to deal with this disease, especially at the age of 18 (I'm 20 now)... and it shut him up.

I know I overreacted, but I'm kinda quick to anger these days due to lots of stresses. Anyhow, I know he doesn't know what it's like... and I just have to accept it. There are things out there that I don't understand and couldn't possibly fathom handling... and I'm sure I'd seem insensitive to those peopel handling those things....

anyways... thats my story for today :)

-sorry for the hijack!

J

jed

wasnt there a report some time ago about models (and other people) purposely getting ring worms or something? that way they can eat what they want and not put weight on.

ever heard of a stair master?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Yeah, I posted the following back in in September -

How many times have you heard someone say, "I wish I had Crohns!!"
I've heard it at least 10 times. What are people thinking??
Then I have to explain that having Crohn's isn't about magically being skinny, along with all of the horrid details. I'm now saying as an answer, "Trust me......... you do NOT wish you had Crohn's" with a glaring look on my face.

I just wondered if anyone else had comments made like that to them.

And what makes people think they should comment on someone's looks? I don't go around saying "woah - you've gained a ton of weight!" People are always telling my husband how gray he is. Hello!! I think he's aware of the amount of gray in his hair............

I'd rather be fat-n-happy than skinny with Crohn's!!

C

coachvee

Nobody tells me that because I am quite overweight, so people who know me realise that weight loss isn't ALWAYS a side effect. xD

It IS a pretty airheaded comment though. To be fair, if it was one or the other, I'd rather be a bit bigger without Crohn's.

O

Op.28/18

katiesue1506 said:
I've heard it before...

actually one of my coworkers today was talking to my boss today because my boss has been sick with the Big "D" and the guy goes "yeah won't it be funny when you crap like that all the time everyday because you're old?"

I literally flipped out on him... especially since he knows I have Crohn's Disease. He then proceeded to tell me that it couldn't be that bad, and that "oh you just poop a lot" .... Then I was so mad that I realized how off-the-handle I was about to get and I told him he just didn't understand and I stormed outta the building.

My boss gave him a stern lecture about insensitivity (my boss's mom has Crohn's) and apparently he asked him if he knew what it was like to have to deal with this disease, especially at the age of 18 (I'm 20 now)... and it shut him up.

I know I overreacted, but I'm kinda quick to anger these days due to lots of stresses. Anyhow, I know he doesn't know what it's like... and I just have to accept it. There are things out there that I don't understand and couldn't possibly fathom handling... and I'm sure I'd seem insensitive to those peopel handling those things....

anyways... thats my story for today :)

-sorry for the hijack!
Yeah, I get that sometimes too, and it's very annoying. Crohn's is such a terrible disease, such a painful disease, and yet I think a lot of people seem to think Crohn's is just like having a stomach ache--or a "bad stomach ache." I've even had people who think they're being understanding say, "well you don't have to tell me, just last week I had a pretty bad stomach ache myself!"

I would give my Crohn's away too! I have never had anyone say they would like Crohn's but I am pretty sure most of the people I work with think I am just anorexic. A lot of them just tell me they would love to lose weight as fast as I can. All the while I am constantly trying to put on weight and feeling aweful.

People can just be plain stupid and jerks!

my mother-in-law (got to love 'em) has said, "Oh it must be nice to loose a little weight. "Or "Oh you've lost some weight." like it is always a good thing ( and I am NOT overweight . . she is and is sensitive about it. I have told her many times that I'd trade if she'd like. I understand that not everyone with crohn's is skinny, but when things get bad for me I can drop 10Lb a week and get skeletal skinny.

I would trade to be fat and healthy for the rest of my life than skinny with crohn's ANYDAY!

Can't one of you cool techno-knowledgable people invent a swapsies machine? Then the next time someone makes such an inappropriate comment we can just press a button and presto! Now they have it! Just gave me a giggle. . . but I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

B

Babe123

karl said:
if they only knew the struggle and pain

people are far too lazy

some people are idiots. its not all about loosing weight

xx

I've heard this quite a few times, usually when I am my worst moments with Crohns, and I get especially pissed because I want to be HEAVIER (with muscle, not fat) than I keep getting, and they say they wish they had it because I'd have to answer reluctantly "yeah, I lost like 20 pounds in the last month and a half..." after they ask me. They're overjoyed at the prospects, then I answer "You do NOT want it" and give them a look, like Butt Hurts said.

B

Babe123

i would love to put on weight amy bones are sticking out. people who wish they had a disease/ illness so that they can loose weight sicken me.
x

I've never heard this one... just as well really!
I've heard jokes about colostomy bags... which haven't gone down well. If I was a violent person it could give a new meaning to delivering the punch line.

Agent X20 said:
I've never heard this one... just as well really!
I've heard jokes about colostomy bags... which haven't gone down well. If I was a violent person it could give a new meaning to delivering the punch line.
i hate that!! so many times i've been enjoying watching a comedian on tv, then they go & make a joke about something like that, and suddenly my opinion of them sinks, & i turn the programme off....

{waves to fellow yorkshireman while i'm here :bigwave: }

:)

Hi Dingbat!
I'm an adopted Yorkshireman! I'm from Merseyside originally, but I've lived here for over 20 years now. I've married a proper Yorkshire lass and learned how to mash me tea properly... so I think I've just about "gone native"!

lol, i'm an alien too - Lancashire born & bred.. crossed the border many years ago.

of course tea has to be well & truly mashed to be worth drinking.. but the big question is - can you make yorkshire puds? :D

Because they're sooooo funny... not. I think it's pretty bad taste to make jokes like that unless the person making the joke has a colostomy bag and is poking fun at themself!

B

Babe123

lol i fainted at the sight of a colesctomy bag.. it was the first time i had seen one and the room was really hot and i just fainted :O. i think its bad taste to take the piss out of anyone who is ill or has any sort of disability.. unless like you say they have one themselevs
x

Babe123 said:
why would they joke about a colesctomy bag?
x
i guess for the same reason people get picked on for wearing glasses, dental braces, following a certain religion, have skin a certain colour..... comes down to ignorance.