• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

'Unexplained Bruising'

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the 'unexplained bruising' side effect that you are supposed to look out for on Aza. I remember when I first got diagnosed and they said about it I used to wonder about every bruise!
I have today noticed two bruises on my right leg. They are small but very dark in colour and I don't remember doing anything! Also, as they are on directly opposite sides of my leg it wouldn't have happened in the same injury.
What does the bruising mean if it was caused by azathioprine?

call the doc and check if they are concerned. Perhaps there is a blood clot concern? Look up the med on internet and read through the information, so you are informed. Never hurts to keep the doc posted!

My son has had some weird bruising too since being on 6mp and allopurinol. I brought him in to the pediatrician and she ordered blood tests for clotting and white blood cell count. Everything came out fine and even though it still continues she said not to worry about it. I think it is worth mentioning to your Dr. or calling the nurse and asking but I wouldn't worry.

When s your blood test due? If it's not due for a while you might want to ask for an extra one.

I am on aza and bruise very easily, I wouldn't say they are unexplained bruises, but the slightest thing (like my dog jumping on me) could give me a bruise.

My bloods are also absolutely fine.

I bruise constantly. I always tell my husband that I had best not die under any sort of suspicious circumstances--the bruises will create much suspicion upon him-- I've never asked about them. I assumed it was a by-product of medication and low B-12. However, I don't discuss my condition with anybody, so I do a lot of self-guessing.

PS: my cat climbing on me gives me bruises. little round ones about the size of her paws!

Hi Holly,

I have been on Aza for 4 months and have not had any before but a few days ago I noticed I also have two bruises on my right leg that seem to have appeared from nowhere! x

I'm not too worried about it. My last blood tests were on friday so four days ago now and I havn't heard anything yet, I am having them (or supposed to be) every two weeks at the moment. I'll keep an eye on them and If they get worse I'll see a doctor. Its annoying because I was at the doctors yesterday and I hadn't noticed them or thought about it. And I was waiting for an hour and a half at the walk in!
Thanks for the replies :)

My Blood test results from last friday have come back normal. But I'm not sure what they would have shown as it was the usual liver and full blood count.
My bruises are still there so maybe if they don't go away I could show them to my GI next week.

The full blood count would have indicated if there was a problem with your platelets (which help the blood to clot) which can be one cause of unexplained bruising.

But if you are going to the GI next week I would show them (or mention it) as they will know what to look out for in terms of aza side effects.

Bruising

My son fell asleep in class and woke up with three bruise marks on his forehead from his fingers. I think his is from the Sulfasalazine that he takes, but we are scheduled for a visit and blood work at the end of the week. This is the first time it has happened. He had a headache afterward as well, so it is a little concerning. We've always been told to mention things like this to the doctor even if we think it is nothing because some things that are okay for typical kids are not so for Crohn's patients.

Hope all is well.

Thanks for the input everyone :)
The bruises are starting to fade now (finaly!) Didn't get to show them to the GI on friday because I didn't have an appointment! (see me other thread!)
Will mention it next week instead!