• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the board

C

Crohns69

Hello all,

I am currently Active Duty Air Force and was diagnosed in Dec 07 with Crohns...spent 3 days in the hospital...first two was trying to figure out why my stomach hurt like hell. Been on pentasa since then...4000 mg a day...but have had very few side effects or pain since then....so I guess my question is ....will it come back??? The blockage pain that I experienced was so painful....worse pain in my life....Oh...by the way I am 45 years old and want to live 45 more...but also wondered about how this would effect me down the road. Like what if I just quit taking those 20 pills a day??

Brian:tongue:

Don't stop taking those pills. If they are working for you then thank goodness because some haven't had that luck. Symptoms are may or may not come back. I'm glad you are feeling better. Best of luck

P

pennywanna

Welcome

Hello and welcome crohns69.... if you feel good, then keep taking it, because yes, sooner or later it may NOT work and you will have to change to another med...we all here have done it all. If your stomach burns get your doc to prescribe Nexium, it will help with the gut burns. Always take your meds with food. Always make sure your GI knows what you are doing, since there isnt a cure yet, crohns pops in and out of your life, it is unpredictable. Good luck, hang in there, we are all there for you,, the people on this site are remarkable and funny.

C

Crohns69

Thanks all...I am already on Nexium...it's kind of ironic with the nexium...that is what put me in the hospital the first time in early Dec...I was having severe chest pain...aka thought it was a heart thing...then after 2 days in the hospital and tests...they decided it was acid reflux...and prescribed nexium...then 2 weeks later the Crohns hit me...with the blockage and severe pain...so anyways...I would never go off the pentasa and yes I do feel lucky so far with the treatment...6 months and relapse...And yes I have heard the horror stories with people with no luck with medications. I have past my 20 years in the Air Force and wondering to call it a day...or wait till the AF medically retires me....but they say it can take for ever to process....I just want to get my disability...I realize no one knows how crohns starts....but I have heard and read things that are possibilities....I have seen a large population in England that shows signes of crohns....I spent 4 years in England....does anyone think it could be the types of food???

Oh I forgot to say welcome to the forum, so welcome to te forum.

I think a lot of it has to do with food and stress. A lot of third world countries do not have diseases like Crohn's and I think it may be due to the laid back lifestyle and that they don't eat processed food.

C

Crohns69

Grammer

Oh my god...I just read over my last post....I knew I was stressed out this week but oh my god...my grammer was terrible in that post...

I hope stress does not flair up the crohns...going through so much this week....I coach girls soccer and we have a huge tournament this weekend, I also playing softball in a tournament(stress relief)...I got my oldest daughter(12) going to her first dance...friday night!!!!! My mother is coming in to visit in about 2 weeks...she stresses me out sometimes....And my wife is dealing with some serious back issues...budging discs and such...

BUT....going to vegas in about 3 weeks for a vacation at a resort...sun, golf, hiking....and a little gambling....should be fun!!

Brian:ybatty:

You should be fine. Good luck at the tourny, I know how stressful they can be for the kids and the coaches. I played soccer till I was 14 and my dad always coached.

P

pennywanna

Hey Brian, they say, there are alot of factors,of having crohns, one or the other doesnt cause the actual crohn's and also they are finding it is in the Genes. Stress brings it to a turmoil and causes havoc. I read in different countries they first thought it was a Jewish disease, and rare in Asians...it can skip a generation and if you are in your 40's your ancestors probably didnt talk about their BM especially if they are men. It was Voodoo back then and way back they used to take out a part of your brain because the onset was supposed to be "all in your head" It took me 8 months of almost every day tests, and it was pure hell, especially the intestinal blockages, there is no pain worse, although I hear bone cancer is right up there. Try to have fun and dont worry about tomorrow, take it each day. I understand why you want to be on disability and if you can hold out, go for it, cause this disease isnt going away anytime soon. I am on Humira, and doing good so far, been over a week since a flare up.

Penny

Kev

Couple of things... don't worry about your grammar, she's old enuff to take care of herself. ;- ) Now, if that joke isn't bad enuff to cause a relapse, then I think you can relax. While a med is working, esp. something as tame as 5ASA, stick with it!!
I don't know what your options are regarding your military career, nor what nation you call home... BUT, if you're in the US, and face acquiring medical coverage after leaving the military, then you might want to hang onto your career for dear life. May come a day when 5ASA isn't cutting it anymore, AND some of our medical options are BANKRUPTCY makers... if you've no coverage. Most companies won't touch pre-existing conditions.. so if your military career includes medical... you may want to hunker down N fight to stay in.. it is worth figuring out before you make any decisions.. Pension or disability may not be enuff to pay for treatments like Remicade, or Humira, things you might be facing some day... I sure wish I had my medical coverage, AND I'm a 'Canadian' for cripes sake.