• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Learning to deal

learning to deal

Hi,

I'm 21 and it's almost been a year since my symptoms started. It wasn't till July that I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I've been battling with the medicine (asacol) which was giving me chest pains. After fighting with nurses I was finally taken off the medicine and now my doctor wants to me to chose my own. I have been getting worse to where sometimes I am not being able to eat or end up throwing up. I have already fainted while shopping for soup because of these problems. I'm currently in the process of getting diagnosed with corhn's disease but it's hard because I'm currently in college and not near my doctor. I'm starting to feel helpless and feel that having this holds be back from doing some of the things I want to do. I never thought that I would have to deal with so much pain and medical bills. I think the worse part of it is feeling like there is nothing I can do to be cured.

Alicia

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Alicia! You certainly have come to the right place. This disease is bad enough without the added stress of medical bills and I have to say it stinks, that should not be anyones worry. Asacol is in the mild stage meds. To help you, a good choice is Ensure or boost, it has what you need and throwing up should not be a problems. I do know you can get antinauseants without drowiness there, I would try that. Ginger and peppermint tea helps too. Do you loose blood in Bm? Where is your pain mostly? There is no cure but some meds or diets can help. Everyone is different and therefore trying your own phase level for foods make a difference. Do you tend to constipate or Diahreah? Glad you are here, help is available here from many your age. Try not to stress, I know it isnt easy. Hugs.

rygon

as Pen said, ginger and peppermint tea does help a lot for bloating and pain.I also use tiger balm white to ease the pain.

It will take a while to find out which food you can and cant eat. Theres a list which ppl cant eat in food forum.

Having this disease is really hard, just appreciate when you are ok and make the most of it

If your anything like me its going to be a bugger for the 1st 1-2yrs mentally getting used to this disease, this is the best place to talk about it (again if your like me family and friends dont understand)

Good luck :) :)

Thanks for replying. I do like tea I'll have to try the ginger and peppermint tea.

I do loose blood but it's mostly during flareups. My pain starts a little under my belly button which I'm assuming is the large intestine but there are times were I feel like a deeper pain. Sometimes right after I eat I have to run to a bathroom. I'm still trying to figure out foods to eat and not eat. I find that I can eat something one day and the next time I eat it, it triggers a flareup. Its frustrating to find what to eat when I feel like I can't eat anything without flaring up. I get constipated and diarrhea at like the same time which hurts a lot or sometimes just constipated for a day or two.

Angrybird

Hello Alicia and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I am sorry the Asacol hasn't worked for you and that you have the added stress of worrying on whether you can afford to get better. I am also curious about a doc who says you need to figure out your next treatment, I personally would not be returning to see that guy! You need a doc who knows all the options and can discuss the pro's and con's with you so an informed decision can be made. With regards to food sometimes it is really good to start again, knock out ALL food, go on the special milkshakes and then perhaps after a couple of weeks start to introduce things very slowly again and keep a food diary. I know it feels at the moment that nothing will ever get better however it is possible to get into remission and not have a problem for years. I think if you can get in there early with a good diet and healthy lifestyle there is a good chance. :hang: and keep us updated on how you get on.

Last edited: