• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cooking with rice milk?

I'm trying rice milk as an alternative to soy (the real stuff really bothers my stomach, even lactose-free), and I've found it's delicious with cereal and even on its own! But as it's a bit thin in comparison to soy milk I'm wondering if it still can be used with success in cooking and baking - does anyone have experience with it?

I'm just trying it as I've heard that soy milk can still be a little harsh and the rice milk is must easier to digest - well I've no complaints yet, and I can even lie on the my stomach on the couch tonight - usually that's a complete no-no due to pain and bloating! I love my cereal in the morning (and sometimes as a snack) so I'm trying to find the most friendly combination - looks like coco pops (puffed rice) and rice milk is winning at the moment.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Lizzy good for you! I have been using it almost 10 years now but I get the one in the fridge and good for 2 months called Rice Dream. I do cook with it but dont expect it to thicken lol. Only dairy does that and I dont like soy. I use it in all my cereal and hot cereal. I use stevia in my coffee but I can use cream... strange but not milk. Glad you checked it out.

Hi Pen! I was hoping you'd see this as I've read in other threads that you use it lol - I'm also using rice dream and have to say I'm really happy with it so far. Will have to use trial and error when cooking I guess! I don't have a problem with the taste/texture of soy milk but I suffer from bloating/gas/d so I'm trialling the rice milk to see if it helps. Thanks for the advice!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I love tapioca and Rice milk wont work and lactose free milk doesnt work for me so I am happy without the tapioca. Just to let you know to really shake the carton before you use it, has a tendency to settle.

Hi,

I've only used rice milk in porridge (oats) and mashed potato so far and it worked just fine.

I've also been using Kara Coconut milk + Calcium and find that quit nice, perhaps not quite as sweet as the Rice Dream.

Regards,

Mark