• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Total Procrastination!

I was diagnosed in 2007 but i decided i could handle it on my own. Now a little older and a little wiser, I have my own health insurance and i am finally seeking help. Just got loaded up with a bunch of medications today from my new gastroenterologist. He seems like a good guy.

I guess I'm here because i don't really know where to start. I feel like my life is going to completely change. Which is very exciting, but I still would enjoy some pointers from people that have been dealing with this for a while.

What makes you feel better? What kinds of foods do you eat? Im a little out of shape and a smoker at the moment, does quitting smoking help a lot? Does working out help? Any other advice you have would be very appreciated!

-Joel:ycool:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Joel :welcome: many find solace here when they need help for the little things that matter or support. As far as smoking I would say it has helped me and I quit 10 years ago, because of my elected second resection. Just adds more worry to the anaesthsia. I eat a low residue diet when I am not flaring. I avoid dairy and alot try to avoid sugar. Being in shape (ha, look who is giving advice :lol) but I do, know that keeping your tummy taut helps keep the intestines in better shape too.

The main thing I avoid is alcohol, it isnt good for the intestinal lining,but still some people continue to do it anyways. Keeping busy, and a positive outlook does help. Laugh often and eat as healthy as you can. I have had rough times and good times in the 20 years but everyone is different with the disease and locations of it.

So what drugs did your new Gi give you? Glad you joined us, many here to give you their insights. welcome aboard :banana:

Welcome Joel

Congrats on getting more proactive with your (our ) disease. It can be a bugger to deal with sometimes , but a positve attitude(and some good meds), will go a long way to lessen the bad times. I've never been a smoker although all the literature seems to say not to. I love my caffeine and definitely had to cut back (wont give it up all together). and booze is processed through the liver which is already struggling to process all the meds you may have to take. That being said, even though I'm a workout nut, and basic food is just fine as a dietary way, I wont let this disease rule my life and a good hot bowl of chili is sometimes on the menu!! You'll figure out what works for you as is it sorta different for everyone. Good luck with everything, let us know how things go. cheers

Angrybird

Hello Joel and welcome to the forum :bigwave: As already mentioned smoking does not help so ideally try to stop if you can :( Food wise I keep to low fat/low fibre foods, I make sure I don't eat too much dairy or veggies and stay away from things with little pips and nuts. I don't drink any tea/coffee etc as caffeine definitely upsets the tum. I only drink Ribena, water and maybe a glass of wine once a month. Try keeping a food diary and see if you can pinpoint what exacerbates your symptoms. I think trying to be in good shape always helps, I have lost a fair bit of weight over the last year and now want to get to the gym to get rid of the jelly belly this has left behind. What meds have you been given and how long have you been on them? Really pleased you have joined us, there is a great bunch here :)