• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dandruff/Flaky Scalp!!

My 12 year old son, Callum, has over the last few days developed a flaky scalp/dandruff! Its on his crown and consists of large patches of dry skin, is this to do with his Crohns and medication he is on?

Any help and advice on how to treat this would be good and very welcome.

He has enough to contend with at the moment, he have developed a large moon face due to steroids and also put on alot of weight so would like to help him with problem.

Thankyou

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I couldn't say Bubbly. We never had that as a side effect of pred or any of my son's meds but I wouldn't rule it out. Have you asked your GI?

Havent yet, will be calling shortly.

Just had to collect Callum from school, another half day for him sadly! Headache, tired,not feeling himself at all, not sure if about to have another relapse, happened the same time when we go down to 3 x pred!

Fingers crossed it isnt and will go and make the call.

Hi, before my son was diagnosed his scalp was very dry and sometimes very red and sore. the doctor treated it as a fungal infection?? at that point we didnt know about the crohns but now i think maybe it was. He has always had dry skin/ eczema but as soon as started his meds its completely disappeared.. Hope your son feels better soon. xx

I also suffer from a dry flaky scalp (it's like eczema, I can peel off chunks of skin on a bad day), but it cleared up completely on pred. Unfortunately it has since returned. Maybe his is appearing because you are tapering the pred?

I use baby shampoo to try to stop it itching too much, my favourite is called infaderm and is designed for children with eczema and other dry skin conditions.

I know remicade can bring on psoraisis...i don't remember what meds Callum is on. (My scalp psoraisis mimics dandruff)

It could be seborrhoiec dermatitis as well, particularly if taking pred. Ketoconazole shampoo works well for this and normal dandruff but check with your doc its ok with his other meds.

My daughter has psoriasis on her scalp. It is one of the main reasons my son's GI wants to see her. Apparently, the link between the two is common? It does produce "dandruff" like flakes and red patches. The theory behind the link is they are both auto-immune diseases. Hope this helps.

I would highly recommend an apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing. It will kill the germs/bacteria on the scalp. Good luck!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Bubbly,

We haven't has any of those issues here but I would probably lean toward psoriasis/seborrhoeic dermatitis due to their links with IBD.

Good luck hun, I hope things settle soon for your boy...:hug:

Dusty. :heart:

My Crohn's son does not have this, but my older son has had scalp issues with seborrheic dermatitis for years. We use Neutrogena T/Sal shampoo, it really works. It helps to comb the dead skin after a couple shampoos soften it. My Crohn's son does have a couple psoriasis lesions which a topical steroid helps clear up, but now I'm thinking I'll try the shampoo on him too, can't hurt!

Jennifer
------
Mom to Alex, 10, DX Sep 2010
fistulizing Crohn's, terminal ileum inflammation, failure to thrive
6MP Sep 10-May 11
Remicade May 11 - Dec 11
Humira - starting soon
supplements: Centrum kids multi-vitamin

I was going to mention psoriasis. I had severe flaking/itchiness on the back of my scalp until I was on Humira, at which point it cleared up completely. Now that I'm off the Humira it's coming back.

Humira is also a treatment for psoriasis...I am considering trying it. Tsal does help symptoms, and I have been using a steroid shampoo (prescription clobex) which. Treats symptoms plus partially resolves the psoriasis itself (which t-sal doesn't do, for me at least :))

Thankyou all for you advice, i am going to try them out and see what works for him.

I am going to have to ring the hospital today as his symptons sadly seem to be returning, has a sore tummy, only did mornings at school last week, today he is trying a full day, he wanted to, he isnt as hungry at the moment either, currently on 2 predisonline (sorry cant spell, need the box!) so think i need to check with the hospital, he goes back in 2 weeks to check his progress, blood tests tomorrow, which is the first time for a monthly, so hopefully they will show what/if anything is going on.

Has face seems to be getting bigger and bigger, quite shocking, and sad really, wish that we could turn the clock back, he wasnt this ill before he was diagnosed, he had so much energy and always on the go, wanted to be on the football team, how things have changed and currently i think for the worse!

Things will get better, just waiting to turn that corner which will come in time, we are all just feeling a bit down by it all at the moment.

Will keep you all up todate with progress, good or bad, and once again thankyou to you all for your support and advice along this long road of discovery x

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh Bubbly, I'm so sorry to hear Callum's symptoms are returning. :hug:

Good luck with the bloods hun, I hope they give you solid answers and direction...:goodluck:

Dusty. :heart:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Where is he on his pred taper? Often, it seems symptoms return at specific dosages as they decrease. I know you hate to see it's side effects, but it may help to temporarily re-up the dose. At least until they find a long term treatment that suits him. Good luck Bubbly!